Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
ilmaestro said:
/also loves Mulholland Dr.
I had dreams about it last night, that's how much it got under my skin. And I never dream of being in fictional universes other people have created; I wish I could remember them coherently.

Being in the cafe with Diane in the second half of the film (with myself in the role of the hitman) is the most vivid memory. There were points when I dreamt I was in my own everyday life and The Box just showed up at random and filled me with an intense feeling of dread...

What an awesome film.

Last edited by a moderator:
El Secreto de sus Ojos

This is the film that beat A Prophet to the 2010 Best Foreign Language Film Oscar and only the second Argentine film to win that category. It was a result that left a lot of critics surprised due to the strength of the competition.

Did it deserve to win? I really am undecided on this point as it is a brilliant thriller with a touching love story that gave me a valuable insight into a period of time that I really have little idea about.

That said I'm still carrying a torch for A Prophet. It was simply one of the most exhilarating experiences I've had in cinema but this film is so intelligent and considered.

Ricardo Darin gives a super performance and proves to be one of World Cinema's best actors - seriously watch Nine Queens.

I'm glad I saw it one the big screen.

9/10

Yes Man

I'm a Jim Carrey fan, so I suppose I was guaranteed a modicum of enjoyment from this film. All the same I couldn’t help approaching it with cynicism, the high concept gimmick is worryingly similar to another of his films - ‘Liar Liar’ - after all.

All the same this was surprisingly enjoyable and often funny, though rarely hilarious. As ever Carrey excels at slapstick comedy in spite of his aging, and the script had a few sparks of wit. It also helped that I have a soft spot for Zooey Deschanel who made for a likably quirky love interest. It’s just a slight shame they couldn’t sustain the whole ‘say yes to everything’ concept further and try something more outlandish, as ultimately the film resolves in familiar rom-com fashion. In the earlier half a few great scenarios arise but it seemed to lose touch with this type of humour towards the end.

A fun watch then, but just a little too generic and forgettable.

7/10

8 1/2

Very good film, it certainly has a lot of thematic and stylistic ramifications in later works and Marcello Mastroianni played Guido Anselmi with a great love of the character and was just fantastic to watch throughout. The occassional lapses into Guido's fantasies were also fairly amusing.

I coudln't help but be a little confused by the end though, probably merits a rewatch, and the final scene of everyone holding hands and running in a circle kind of reminded me of the end of evangelion (that's the end of the series not the movie of that name) where everyone applauds Shinji for his character growth. The thematic resonance was pretty similar.

Oh a note on the dvd which I rented. It was ****in awful, the subtitles were white and so in this black and white film, frequently on the whiter end of the spectrum, they became irritating to decipher, not to mention some were outright missing. I know at points people were speaking french but sometimes it was for long stretches and it was just annoying, since it wasn't a case of "we don't need to know because the character doesn't understand either" because they clearly often did.

ANyways

8.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
8 1/2

8.5/10

Nice.

2oth Century Boys: Part 2

I do like the 'Serious goofball' nature of this saga, it truly is a ridiculous idea, but everyone plays it straight.

This part lacked the intriguing plotting of the first and took on a more serious tone, leaving the daftness behind. It still worked... it was just that things felt a little dour.

Excellent build up to the climax which left you guessing who, who and who?

6/10

Versus

Mental movie. Absolutely mental. No one has names and a lot of it watches like a youtube fan film, but the action is so compellingly shot and often humourous it's hard not to like it. The story was ok, but the dialogue in between action scenes was poor and the lead basically playing an asian Keanu Reeves, but I have to admit the ending was a little unexpected and I kind of liked it.

Breakout character for me was the guy in the green shirt (official cast name is "Yakuza with Butterfly Knife" but I prefer green shirt) and the pair of prison officers/ agents were pretty funny to watch.

Also, if you want to watch this prepare to get dizzy. The camera spins in 360 so often you'll think you're leaning on the right analogue stick.

tl; dr The action was fun, the plot was dumb

6/10
A film to watch while drinking heavily with mates

Rewatched Iron Man 2 on blu ray. I enjoyed it more than I had the first time. And watching it directly after 1 made me realise it's actually pretty fast paced in comparison. In the first half at least, it drags a bit after Tony's birthday before kicking into gear again.

1 is still the better film but I think 2 is easier to just slap in and watch whenever.

This is Spinal Tap

A legendary film that is smart, funny and (surprisingly) gentle and full of comedy. And what comedic spectacles. All of them classics. There are crisp relationships that feel real as well as a tour that becomes increasingly ridiculous. The finest mockumentary ever.

8/10

The Social Network

The book it's based on was great and the movie makes it even better. Regardless of the how truthful or untruthful it may be, it is simply a great story which takes a dark and scathing look at higher society, the generation of people who let facebook rule their lives and the ideals of friendship and what it truly means.

The script is beyond fantastic, really well written, well paced, with clever and witty dialogue.

David Fincher's directing is fantastic. The shots, the style of cinematography, the transition is great, giving the film it's own unique flavour which fits into the nature of the story being told. Not a single shot is wasted, not a single bit feels to long.

The acting is great from all cast members. You don't see actors playing their parts, you see the characters on screen and nothing else.

The music is fantastic. I am a fan of Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross with their work in other project such as Nine Inch Nails, and the score makes this movie. Without it part of the atmosphere would be lost. They are geniuses when it comes to music and they have proved it yet again. The best score I've heard from a movie in a long time.

This is a much more subtle and intelligent movie. If you want big explosions and action don't look here, you will be disappointed but if you enjoy a more subtle human based experience, then you will love it.

One of the few films I've enjoyed recently from Hollywood. This is what happens when people who really know how to make a film do it.

Is it a classic? Only time can tell us that but it is a fantastic film none the less.

I won't give it a number as the description should be able to tell you that alone.

Certified Copy

Taking place in Italy, a French antiques dealer and an English writer walk around a small Tuscan town discussing life.

This is a film that has split viewers. It's going to be either an interesting journey following two (possibly) married people exploring issues regarding relationships, men, women and life or a film that defines intellectual jerking-off that festival films are stereotyped as having.

To be honest, when I saw it, I liked it. How you feel will be important. I think this is an important factor to the viewers response because I felt indulgent at the time and prepared to watch a film that would explore at whatever speed these themes and I was prepared for some ambiguity and a lot of hot air.

The conversation is quite interesting and the switching of languages and framing of shots as well as the content of the conversation was intriguing. I actually found myself analysing the film. To some people, that may signal that the film hasn't worked on anything other than a formal/intellectual level but I find viewing films like this interesting. So... yeah...

2/10 or 8/10 depending on your patience and if you like meandering discussions.

Back to the Future 10/10 Like I'd give it anything else.

This is one of the smartest, tightest films out there. Every moment and line of dialogue is layered upon each other so the second and third act can twist them around in one of the smartest ways and all to time travel.

Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd are legends but Lea Thompson should get more recognition. Legends all.

10/10 for those who forgot.

The Social Network

The best film about unpleasant people arguing copyright ever.

A sharp script and sharper directing (which allowed the script and acting to be so sharp and angular and cutting...) made a film about Facebook genuinely compelling.

Jesse Eisenberg rises above the type-casting I would have accused him of last year to give a nuanced performance while Andrew Garfield gets to utter the immortal line:

You better lawyer up, asshole, because I'm not coming back for 30%, I'm coming back for everything!

Aaron Sorkin is the real hero because he crafts a film that captures the zeitgeist of this generation.

10/10

The Kids are All Right

2010 isn’t over yet but it has to be THE best film year in the last decade at least. Inception, Scott Pilgrim, A Prophet and now The Kids are All Right.

Focussing on a family headed by two lesbians, this film explores what happens when two kids search out their sperm donor dad and he becomes a part of their family life.

The characters are excellent and their naturalistic acting makes the chemistry believable. This isn’t quirky for the sake of it, it actually strikes some real chords, not that I know what being raised by lesbians is like, but that’s not the point because you forget that Julianne Moore and Annette Benning are playing lesbians and just enjoy the family interplay – because this film is about family.

The acting is perfect, especially Benning and Ruffalo and watching the relationships progress is equally enjoyable and heart-breaking.

See this film!

10/10

I've watched other films and stuff, but the couple I'm going to note is that I watched the second Tinker Bell film today, and it was just as good as the first which I watched last week.

Tinker Bell, 8/10.

Beautifully animated film, telling the origins of Tink and introducing us to the colourful world of Pixie Hollow. From afar, it might be something to turn your nose up, but this is one of the best things Disney Animation (outside of Pixar) have produced - after reading up on it, it appears John Lasseter was involed quite heavily in it, and something like his touch does show throughout. Interesting characters, decent plotting with some clever references as to what Tinker Bell ends up doing in the future makes this is a great watch. Some really funny moments as well.

Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure, 7/10.

This expands on the world a bit more, focusing on a different season, which is probably setting the tone for the future films. Terrence, originally a minor role, was the only fairy with notable development here, so I can only assume some of the others introduced in the first film will share the spotlight later on. It's just as pretty as the first, coupled with the brilliant voice acting - only let down by some bad pacing issues. Everything about it should work, but it just seems like its about five or ten minutes longer than it should be. These films, though, are just plain fun and heartwarming. Tinker Bell is a wonderful character, so I can't wait for more of her adventures in the next film.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Worth watching for the eccentric performances of Depp and del Toro. It starts off well, the hallucinations are all vivid and done with humorous ambition (the Reptile Room...). Then the film (sadly) seems to lose itself in the middle. What seems like a random sequences of events may be the point, but it also feels slightly disjointed.

The final section is better, bringing with it the weird narcotic world into focus, and the lost days that have just been endured. The section in the cafe is tense and is at odds with the humorous nature the rest of the film had, but it works well. We have seen the highs of both these people (literally!) and now we see the low.

Fun in places, tedious in others. A shame really.

4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back