Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thor, 10/10.

Really really enjoyed it, and my minds been buzzing since yesterday. The Avengers went into production then too, so I'm super hyped. Chris Hemsworth absolutely steals the screen, and it's not like he's up against light-weights. They mined the fish-out-of-water stuff for gold, making this easily the funniest Marvel film to date as well. So happy that the Gods had, y'know, strength to them too; each punch really hit. Hemsworth/Portman were smokin'

tl;dr - a real spectacle and a fantastic start to the summer blockbusters. Yay.

p.s. be prepared for some serious dutch angles.

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
8/10?! Great CGI and the music was perfect but the film itself was a load of overhyped crap I thought :p

I went into it without the hype; i'm years late. Probably why I enjoyed it. I don't wanna start the arguments that happened before though, lol.

OT:

Confessions - 10/10

I was inclined to give this 9/10 due to one minor issue; but the film was so intense throughout it'd be wrong to give it less than 10, imho. Amazing film. Tetsuya Nakashima really is an outstanding director. This film just flew by and had me gripped throughout. Very much worth watching; and I will definately be watching again :)

Sonatine, by Takeshi Kitano.

Fantastic film; very subdued, though typical in style... in a good way! After seeing his more disappointing Brother, I can say my faith was unequivocally restored. A Scene At The Sea is next, followed by Outrage (already seen it, though it deserves a second viewing).

Kurogane said:
Sonatine, by Takeshi Kitano.

I think I remember this, it's involving the Yakuza on an island and they keep digging sandholes to piss each other off? We an "activities week" at my college and one of the activities was Azn-cinema, we watched it then :D (Along with Kiki's delivery service)

Jaymii said:
Thor, 10/10.

Really really enjoyed it, and my minds been buzzing since yesterday. The Avengers went into production then too, so I'm super hyped. Chris Hemsworth absolutely steals the screen, and it's not like he's up against light-weights. They mined the fish-out-of-water stuff for gold, making this easily the funniest Marvel film to date as well. So happy that the Gods had, y'know, strength to them too; each punch really hit. Hemsworth/Portman were smokin'

tl;dr - a real spectacle and a fantastic start to the summer blockbusters. Yay.

Not sure I'd give it a 10/10 but I'm a harsh rater =P it's certainly up there with Spider-man and Iron Man as one of the origin greats.

8/10 from me, with my own bias, I prefered Iron Man but that's just my own bias, if you're more into fantasy Thor will be right up your street. Agreed great acting all round, but serious dutch angles and I don't usually pick up on stuff like that. I'd advise 2D too. I saw it in 3d but it didn't add anything and just made it darker (and there are plenty of dark scenes in Jotunheim.

p.s. be prepared for some serious dutch angles.

Thought the 3D was very effective actually. Wasn't dark at all. I think structurally, Thor was more sound than Iron Man. I love the IM films and their manic brisk sensibilities fit fantastically for Stark's worldview but that means it does feel a bit like its put together in an editing room than on script. (Which is technically true, haha). About the rating... it was all enjoyment really. Not comparing it against anything.

Jaymii said:
Thought the 3D was very effective actually. Wasn't dark at all. I think structurally, Thor was more sound than Iron Man. I love the IM films and their manic brisk sensibilities fit fantastically for Stark's worldview but that means it does feel a bit like its put together in an editing room than on script. (Which is technically true, haha). About the rating... it was all enjoyment really. Not comparing it against anything.

Me either, but I still don't give out 10s willy nilly =P It's interesting you say that I felt Thor was much more clumsily edited than Iron Man, constantly jumping back and forth between Earth and Asgard for relatively brief scenes, usually preceeded with a big landscape shot of the exact same building (thought it is a nice looking building).

Still it was a great film, definitely one of the best marvel movies and genuinely amusing too.

Spirited Away

I finally got round to watching this today seeing as I recorded it ages ago, in all honesty, it more than deserves the Oscar it won, it's such a fantastic film with memorable characters

9/10

Rewatched Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete for the first time in nearly two years.

Still think it's below average, but this is an improvement over the original cut. The added scenes (both big and little) did improve matters, but in some cases interrupted the carefully timed flow of the music.

Visually it's still fantastic, especially the new scenes with Denzel.

Zack's more prominent screen time was the best part.

5/10

Shirayuri said:
Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
8/10?! Great CGI and the music was perfect but the film itself was a load of overhyped crap I thought :p

I went into it without the hype; i'm years late. Probably why I enjoyed it. I don't wanna start the arguments that happened before though, lol.

OT:

Confessions - 10/10

I was inclined to give this 9/10 due to one minor issue; but the film was so intense throughout it'd be wrong to give it less than 10, imho. Amazing film. Tetsuya Nakashima really is an outstanding director. This film just flew by and had me gripped throughout. Very much worth watching; and I will definately be watching again :)

Wha!???!???
I actually just came here to write about Confessions and then I saw this and my jaw dropped. A 10, are we talking about the same film? I'd love to hear more about why you felt it deserved a 10.

Anyway here's my review of Confessions:

My first thought after watching confessions was "Why do I keep watching these kind of movies?"then "Why was this movie critically acclaimed?". The answer to the first question is simple: I was suckered in by the good reviews on the box and a seductive quote from Claudia Winkleman, the same thing happened with Love Exposure. While not quite as bad as Love Exposure, Confessions is in my opinion simply a rather terrible film. Everything in it was completely implausible and ridiculous, and the film was far too up its own back side most of the time.

The central idea is pretty stupid I mean come on, a middle aged teacher crafting a complex and intricate revenge plot against two 13 year old boys is really quite pathetic and not much of an achievement. The middle aged teacher herself is also a complete idiot and hypocrit as well. The main things I actually remember from the film are a lot of phychotic laughter, screaming and grundgy music. Oh and there's the completely rubbish dialouge, its seriously bad, the kind of the stuff you'd expect from a half baked run of the mill anime. The behaviour and motivations of the boys are just so unbelievable, no 13 year olds actually act like that.

But I guess despite these flaws if you like this kind of movie it's not too bad......just kidding-3/10

13 Assassins - 10/10 The new Takashi Miike film. The only downside was that only 1 of the 4 cinemas I could go to was showing it (and logic dictates that it would be the one that takes the longest to walk to)

vashdaman said:
Everything in it was completely implausible and ridiculous, and the film was far too up its own back side most of the time.

Okay firstly I'll just write a bit towards this point; implausible and ridiculous? Okay, the plausibility of this film I could question yes; but this is a psychological thriller essentially- I don't think there are many that are truly plausible, and I don't think this one is as bad as you claim either. We should also remember that this film is based on a book; so this is very much Tetsuya Nakashima's vision on the book.

vashdaman said:
The central idea is pretty stupid I mean come on, a middle aged teacher crafting a complex and intricate revenge plot against two 13 year old boys is really quite pathetic and not much of an achievement. The middle aged teacher herself is also a complete idiot and hypocrit as well. The main things I actually remember from the film are a lot of phychotic laughter, screaming and grundgy music. Oh and there's the completely rubbish dialouge, its seriously bad, the kind of the stuff you'd expect from a half baked run of the mill anime. The behaviour and motivations of the boys are just so unbelievable, no 13 year olds actually act like that.

Okay, firstly i'll just reiterate what I said in the last the paragraph; story-wise this is based on a book, so if you were about to throw some criticism Tetsuya's way I'm gonna defend him here! (I'll be honest- I'm a big fan of his, and I've loved the 3 pieces I've seen by him).

I think you may have misinterpreted things a little wrong if that's how you feel about the film – the teacher didn't plan everything at all. This is just my interpretation of her motivation but, after the death of her daughter (and the tragic illness her husband had) she felt no more real reason to live; I don't think this is over-the-top of implausible- I'd say it would be normal for someone in her position. She wanted to teach the kids a lesson about life, and as she refers to many times in the film, she has little hope of the class she taught ever 'getting better' or learning, and thus, she lies about poisoning the milk. Sure, she could have murdered them both, but in her mind, they deserved “worse than death”, and to feel the suffering that she has had to.

From there on, the film is fascinating. It splits into three simultaneous points of view; the teachers, Student A and Student B's. The focus shifts to the students, and I feel at this point the film turns into something incredible. So, we see Student B; a loner kid essentially. He had no friends, and had been desperate for friends. We see his side of the story, and find out (contrary to prior belief) that he had infact killed the daughter, not Student A! I found this to be a great minor twist of events, that went on to be crucial in the film. But the truly great part? His reaction to what had happened. He never gets his blood tested; and hence thinks that he has AIDs, and the OCD he develops from here is somewhat expected, but with a crucial twist – he refuses to clean himself, despite the fact he cleans everything around him to the point of being spotless! And the motivation for it? His horrid stench and uncleanliness is just proof to him that he is still alive. Not only is this a beautiful twist on the traditional 'develop an OCD from doing bad stuff' trope (for lack of better word), but serves to add to the dark humour that's underlying throughout the film (I'm talking about his appearance, and actions here; I recall him cleaning a tea-cup quite thoroughly at one point).

Then we see the much darker Student A part, in which we find out that his whole motivation behind this is to get his mother to notice him. Now, the plausibility of him feeling like this is high, but I will confess that his back-story is most implausible; genius mother marrying an idiot and teaching him physics while he's a baby is definitely... different. But if we accept that back-story, then we have another interesting character developing here. Student A reminds me very much of the darker side of Yagami Light (Death Note) and Lelouche (Code Geass) actually – and this isn't a bad thing. Student A is definitely a wild card in this film- you will love or hate him, and I think I loved him in a hateful way. I really didn't like anything he did, but I really did love his motivations for his actions, and how that effectively made his void of all emotion not directly relating to his mother.

At this point we get a crucial 3rd character enter play; the girl that's made to kiss him, Student C. At this point the teachers bluff is revealed, as we discover he infact did not have AIDs. I liked the fact the love-story here was largely skipped, and a few scenes later we see that Student A and Student C are clearly now 'in a relationship'. We now get Student C's side of things and some history to do with her being/associating with (I honestly can't remember right now) the girl that had made the paper; but when she mentions this to psycho-boy Student A alarm bells ring. This was such a tense point in the film; I really can't see how you didn't enjoy it! Instantly in my mind I was questioning the two things that could happen to Student A; his character takes a turn, feels in love and forgives her feelings, or just simply, he'll kill her. Anyway, the film then skips back to the teacher (iirc) and this is where I think you may have got the confusion;

Student C's story blends into the teachers by them meeting in a cafe. They're casually talking, and teacher reveals that she's been encouraging the new teacher to (unintentionally) make Student B's life torturous, but Student C makes a crucial mistake; she tells the teacher of Student A's mother obsession. The teacher only then starts to check his website, and put a new plan together relating to his mother; why? Simply because she didn't feel he had “learnt his lesson” from her original plan. I don't think this is irrational or implausible.

Anyway, we go back to Student A and C and we see Student C's murder. It was when it finally happened; but again we see some wonderful development of Student A's mother-obsession as he didn't actually kill her until she mocked his obsession. Again, I felt this was one of the strongest scenes in the film.

I'm willing to pause here and say yes; Student A's actions and scenario at this point are quite implausible – he seemed to be living on his own which bugged me, but it's so minor in the film it didn't detract from a thing. And yeah; this murder was definitely more hot blooded than was implied – I did feel they may have hinted at him murdering her to get his mothers attention, but it was never really mentioned, so I think I was just assuming that may have come around.

My memory is weaker at this point, but iirc we skip over to Student B and him murdering his mother (after she attempts to murder him). Both were mentally ill at this point, and the mother really loses it after the genius hidden message from the students from his class (Killer, Die). Student B's story wraps up here with the Police taking him away.

The final act of the film is basically Student A and the teacher, in a sort of battle of wits in a sense. The teacher ruins Student A's plan, and 'punishes' him for not learning the lesson she tried to teach him about life. She realized he was going to try and kill as many as he could with that bomb, and she instead plants it in his mothers research lab, and tragically he kills her. I didn't feel the dialogue had been notably weak at any point here; and I didn't feel it was either here at the end. The teachers chilling reference to Student A's earlier comments to her was a touch of genius, and the film had a fitting end.

So in all, while I think the teachers actions may have been hypocritical at points; it was her descent into madness that motivated it. If this had been a series, we would have had at least 1-2 episodes on her losing will to live, and desire for revenge; instead they are just portrayed through the small gestures she makes through the film, and the way she becomes increasingly emotionless throughout (So I suppose, lack of gestures toward the end compared to the beginning!)

So I suppose in all, we have just had different feelings throughout the film. I really don't feel the criticism you made was necessarily fair; I can see what you mean at times, but I feel you were being somewhat dramatic. The only character I can imagine that would have hindered your enjoyment of the film was, as I previously mentioned, Student A. But to give it a 3? You must really have hated him, lol.

(Sorry this post was so long; I did try to shorten it a bit at the end, but I got a little bit carried away lol. I do plan to rewatch the film again at some point, and maybe I'll write a proper review for you then ;) )

Btw, I apologize for any grammar/spelling errors in there. I don't feel like proof reading it right now, lol. Hopefully it'll make sense though!

Insidious - 8/10 ... I rarely get scared at horror films, but I was terrified during this movie. I'm sure the atmosphere in the cinema and the friend I went to see it with (who gets horribly scared by horrors) all added to it, but it was still a scary movie. Gets a bit silly towards the end, but I think they pulled it off. I wish more horrors were like this.

Thanks a lot for sharing your in depth views on Confessions! Its always interesting to get someone elses opinions on a movie. Still can't say I appreciate the film any more though.

My problems are actually with all of the characters, I just found all of them unlikable and their actions unbelieveable. I mean as you said the Teacher was clearly a lunatic murderer herself and actually no better(probably worse) than the children she's extracting revenge on, this made the film pretty much a wholly unpleasant experience for me, as its not like I could get behind her and root for her. I know the last part of the film was not in her original plans but everything else she did plan, and somethings didn't even make sense to me. Like how did getting that innocent teacher to go to students A's house everyday actually make students B's life any worse, and why was he blamed with "backing student B into a corner" and thus blamed with his mothers murder. He actually did very little aside from maybe drop off that horrible card from the students.

I also just found the whole twist of Student B killing her daughter to be very weak as well, I mean it was just kinda flimsy. Seriously, he was really supposed to have killed her just because the other boy called him a failure? It's a bit far fetched for me. Same with Student A I found his whole killing to get his mothers attention motivation to be incredibly silly. And also the bit where he's happy he could have HIV( and thus getting his mothers attention) was silly as well, any 13 old would be **** scared no matter what.

As for the dialouge I found the bits where Student C was like "I don't care if my teachers lives, his life is not important" and other non sense to be kinda stupid, I mean what was she even going on about? It didn't even try to explain why she felt that way or what her story was. I also found the bit where she was in the cafe talking to the teacher to be a bit rubbish as well(also one hell of a coincidence). I just found that whole scene to be incredibly pretentious and silly, like the way the teacher was "you fools you shouldn't have been scared by the HIV milk, it's unlikely it could infect you anyway, you were so easy to trick". Well yeah of course they were, they are thirteen years old after all, bloody hell I just found the teacher so iritating and all that crazy laughter was kind of annoying

And then at the end when she says to student A "Why do innocent people have to die", look who's talking! How many innocent deaths has she been responsible for now, maybe as many 3(if she really did blow up that boys mum :? ). I know shes meant to have gone insane too and I know the death of your daughter is a traumatic thing to say the least, but really I just found it unlikely that a previously sane teacher would snap and become a totally psychotic nutcase just like that.

Ok rant over.

CitizenGeek said:
Insidious - 8/10 ... I rarely get scared at horror films, but I was terrified during this movie. I'm sure the atmosphere in the cinema and the friend I went to see it with (who gets horribly scared by horrors) all added to it, but it was still a scary movie. Gets a bit silly towards the end, but I think they pulled it off. I wish more horrors were like this.

I want to see this film, P.A 1 and 2 where good, the first one i watched round the gf's house at 2.30 in the morning i had to head home, where it was pitch black and the house started making noises.... i'll admit, that night i was freaked out. it takes alot to scare me (well unless your stood 2 foot away with a needle, then i'll run like the wind) but the first film did a great job at bringing on goosebumps and slight paranoia that evening lol.

Donny Darko had a similar thing, i woke up one night. turned on the tv and the rabbit face was covering the screen, any kid would have been scared at that too :p

With the makers of both Saw and Paranormal activity at the helm of this i've gotta say, if it doesn't freak me out or entertain me with cleverness then i'll be surprised (love the saw films)

On topic, i say "Up In The Air" with George Clooney on the weekend, i'd give it a 4/10 basically because it went everywhere and nowhere. the fat guy from tropic thunder (red) and tropic thunder (the explosives nut) starred in it, though only briefly. and Zack galifianakis (Hang over, g-force, Due Date, Dinner for schmucks) also starring in a clip that lasted roughly 2 minutes (i was gutted) and ofcorse George Clooney (needs no introduction) the story seems like it was made then realised it was a flop. The acting is great, but the story lacked all direction. half the time i wasn't sure where it was trying to go. its not a comedy, documentary, anything. its just a boring "story" where nothing differs from the start of the film to the end of the film.

It sounds like you wanted a comedy or something from Up In The Air? I don't think it was ever marketed like that. Reitman gave fantastic direction, the chemistry between Kendrick and Clooney was terrific and it's a interesting tale of a man discovering how broken he is. I have my problems with it, mainly Vera Farmiga, the love interest, but I enjoyed the film overall.

I expected more from it because of who was in it and that it was a comedy-drama film. It had very slight jokes... but i thought it was atleast going to go abit further than it did, if he ended up getting the girl, flying into the sunset i'd say "fair enough, it went from a guy happy to travel across the usa alone, to finding someone, to not being sure about his job and way of life, to getting his life the way it was and then getting the girl and flying off to a warm place with a smile on his face.

but it didn't i thought that we where going to be shown the suicide of the character or he turns into an alcoholic. or something funny happens at the wedding, or Zack sticks to his threats at the start of the film and comes crashing into clooneys life and bugging him.

If i was director i could have thought up endless directions to take it. But then again it WAS made by the same guy who created JUno, and in honesty i could do with that time back, juno was a waste of money.

I see so many films but I've stopped posting about them here. I just had to post about this one though.

13 Assassins

Takashi Miike's remake is a bloody classic. The best film this year so far. I walked out of the cinema shell-shocked and then started laughing. My review is going to be easy to write because the film is just so brilliant.

10/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back