Revelation No Longer Distributing For Funimation?

Mohawk52

Thousand Master
Including back titles they said they would.

I recently sent them an e-mail about Beck, and this is the reply I got

Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately we will no longer be releasing the remaining volumes of Beck as previously scheduled and currently do not have plans to release other FUNimation titles this year.

I would advise that you contact FUNimation directly if you need any more information about their plans with the UK releases.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
Regards,

Pria

Revelation Films
I sent Manga UK an e-mail asking about their FUNimation releases, but have had no reply as yet.

Well someone is telling porkys then. I've emailed FUNi direct for clarification, as their furum is proving to be totally useless about this. No reply as yet.

Phew! At least they finished off Mushishi. I feel sorry for those who bought series from Rev films out of loyalty to the UK market. This is why now I won't ever buy single volumes again.

I'm really disappointed if this is true. Despite the erratic schedule, the quality of releases (the box sets are quite nice, and bringing over Art boxes was cool of them), the faithfulness of their releases to the US counterpart (The one thing that annoys me about Manga's Funi releases) and the price point (which I honestly believe was part of the reason MVM lowered their RRPs).

Certainly predictable, but a little disappointing all the same. Revelation could have been a force in the UK anime scene had they continued with the force they entered it with.

Mohawk52 said:
Well someone is telling porkys then. I've emailed FUNi direct for clarification, as their furum is proving to be totally useless about this. No reply as yet.

They could have just been giving a standard response that hasn't been updated recently.

Zin5ki said:
I fathom this'll result in more people importing. Good news for Customs, bad for Revelation.

Well you say that, but Manga have more than taken up the slack of Funimation releases, and more to the point, Manga are releasing series at a competitive price compared to the US releases. (in most cases, the Manga price is pretty much the same as the Funi US price, for the same number of episodes)

Fudce said:
Mohawk52 said:

They could have just been giving a standard response that hasn't been updated recently.
I doubt it. It was sent last Tuesday. As for Manga releasing Funi titles, when and what was the last? :roll:

Mohawk52 said:
Fudce said:
Mohawk52 said:

I doubt it. It was sent last Tuesday. As for Manga releasing Funi titles, when and what was the last? :roll:

Since last Autumn

they started with xxxHolic, then Baldr Force EXE, Claymore, Ouran High School Host Club, Negima OVAs, Negima S2, Origin Spirits of the Past, Shigurui Death Frenzy, Darker Than Black, Ghost Hunt...

The last one would be Negima S2 Part 1. No that's delayed til 17th August. Then the last one would be Ghost Hunt S1 Part 2. There you go.

They've also got something called Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood coming up next year. Dunno what that's about.

Just Passing Through said:
Since last Autumn

they started with xxxHolic, then Baldr Force EXE, Claymore, Ouran High School Host Club, Negima OVAs, Negima S2, Origin Spirits of the Past, Shigurui Death Frenzy, Darker Than Black, Ghost Hunt...
Manga also released Black Blood Brothers, and I thought Origin was a title they got from Gonzo.

So if Manga are now the UK distributor, why haven't they picked up the titles that haven't been finished by Revelation then? Seems a bit silly not doing that IMO.

Titan said:
Since last Autumn

Manga also released Black Blood Brothers, and I thought Origin was a title they got from Gonzo.

Could be... It seems as though everything Gonzo passes through Funimation nowadays anyway, at least the dub would have been Funi's. There was a dub right?

Mohawk52 said:
So if Manga are now the UK distributor, why haven't they picked up the titles that haven't been finished by Revelation then? Seems a bit silly not doing that IMO.

Sales figures most probably, and because Revelation have the licences. They haven't lost them. But Revelation aren't on the same level as Manga, so it probably isn't worth Manga's time to release individual volumes to finish off someone else's series. Especially since Manga are exclusively collections and series sets now. And that would only come into question if Revelation actually lose the licences. As yet, all they say is that no more releases in 2009. They said exactly the same thing, at exactly the same point in 2008 after FMA Movie SE was released.

Hypothetically speaking though, if Revelation were to lose the licences, and if Manga were to grab them. I doubt very strongly that Beck and Suzuka would be released. It wouldn't be cost effective to finish off the single volumes, and I doubt there would be enough return on potential boxsets, unless they marketed them from scratch.

Hell Girl and School Rumble on the other hand would be more attractive, one, they are both only half released, and two, like Negima, there are second seasons to both (Funi has released School Rumble S2 in half season collections), and Manga could see releasing them as advertising for the second seasons.

All wild speculation though.

Titan said:
Since last Autumn

Could be... It seems as though everything Gonzo passes through Funimation nowadays anyway, at least the dub would have been Funi's. There was a dub right?
Yes there is a dub. I just thought I would mention it, as all the titles you mentioned except Origin has the FUNImation logo on it, whereas Origin just has Manga's and Gonzo's logo.

Funimation does get a lot of Gonzo stuff in America (almost as if they have a deal with Funimation...) but also remember that historically Gonzo have treated UK and US as completely seperate marketplaces. There could be some instances where Gonzo titles have been given to Funi for both US and UK rights, but it's better to assume that any Gonzo titles are just US licences until we learn otherwise.

Back