Review: Patlabor 1: The Movie

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
We have just posted Stuart Bullen's review of <a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=248">Patlabor 1: The Movie</a> (courtesy of Manga).<ul class="menu">"If you haven’t seen Patlabor yet I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. Alongside Akira this is a true anime classic, gorgeously realised, stunningly written and directed with the dreamy assuredness fans have come to expect from Mamoru Oshii, this is a seminal example of international filmmaking, not just an indispensable anime, and more than deserving of a place on any fan’s shelf. "</ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=248">Read more...</a>

The Patlabor trailer is on nearly every Manga Entertainment DVD, the thing about it is the trailer makes it out to be a lot cooler then it actually is. Every single action scene in that film is in the trailer, the film is more about what’s going on with the police officers and less about battles and action and that goes for Patlablor 2 and 3 as well. I’m not saying that’s bad per se, its just the trailer is very misleading.

I saw either the first, second or both Patlabor movies (i didn't really know what I was watching, apart form the name patlabor) on the SCI-FI channel when they were still showing anime. It was very good, and as someone mentioned its more about the police. It also manged to have a bit of humour to it as well.

Dragon of Heaven said:
the film is more about what’s going on with the police officers and less about battles and action

And its the same for the OVA's and Tv series aswell, Patlabor was never a mecha show, it was always a cop show with mecha in it.

Animated FatCat said:
It also manged to have a bit of humour to it as well.

Thats the one thing i found disapointing about the movies, only a little comedy, the OVA's and TV series are pure comedy gold! They have some of the funnist and silliest anime moments I have ever seen.

Btw while we're on the subject here's a trivia question for you, does anyone know the meaning of the phrase written on the airships in second movie? And where this phrase turned up later in the Ghost in the Shell movie?

Back