Ridiculous avatar sizes

Jayme said:
Google has some good image searching options now so its easy to search for 100x100's but back in the day it was horrific to crop other images to that incredibly small size.
No, that wasn't (and still isn't) the challenge imo. The idea of an avatar is to find an image that does actually look good at that size, not a good image that looks less good scaled down.

Kaede said:
Can anything be done about limiting the avatar sizes for those hosted off-site? Certain people (*sigh*) are using gigantic avatars which just scream 'LOOK AT ME!!!11'.

HAAH!! eye's on aion, though attention whoring is a trait of his. Though I have to admit too big a size can be geerish for any forum, and good ol' photoshop and image ready help me to perfect a good size

Kaede said:
That's annoying enough, but they also make the forum look ugly and advertise to every one in my office that I'm a great big geek on an internet forum

What makes you think they don't see you as a great big geek. Take a look at yourself, I've seen less grease in a bucket of KFC

ilmaestro said:
Jayme said:
Google has some good image searching options now so its easy to search for 100x100's but back in the day it was horrific to crop other images to that incredibly small size.
No, that wasn't (and still isn't) the challenge imo. The idea of an avatar is to find an image that does actually look good at that size, not a good image that looks less good scaled down.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. Instead of searching through hundreds and hundreds of different sized images, Google allows you to search exact sizes; meaning that the search is narrowed down considerably.

Otaku-san said:
What makes you think they don't see you as a great big geek. Take a look at yourself, I've seen less grease in a bucket of KFC

014.gif

:cry:

Rui said:
I think 125x125 is about the limit before it gets annoying and starts futzing with the layout/getting too close to the borders. That would be a satisfactory happy medium. Though I'd then look legitimately dwarven and have to change.

I quite enjoy the challenge of making a picture look fun in 100x100 but then I don't really go for terrifically complex/artistic efforts :)

R
Auuu..... So something like this (which would breach the recomended guidelines you've given) would be a big no-no? ¬_¬
marchtigerav.gif

Clearly, artist impressionism is a varied taste and perception. What happened Rui, you used to be kool... :p

Urgh! That's even worse!
This server's issue with the 24k memory limit is suffocating! most of the images are decent quality, and therefore surpass that limitation, leave less creativity...

That's why outside avatars are better, so it doesn't suck up server memory, but gives good avatar/image freedom.
Sorry, Chaos, but as good as it is for making results a certainty, I feel it's a poor quick-fix.

Chaz said:
Clearly, artist impressionism is a varied taste and perception. What happened Rui, you used to be kool... :p

Wait, no I didn't :p

That one is actually quite nice and the narrowness avoids messing with the layout. I'll run off now and leave the rest of the discussion to the boss!

R

I'd rather have a quick-fix now, and gradually find the happy medium, than leave it as it was. Realistically, not having a certain avatar doesn't affect your use of the site in the same way that other people having certain avatars does.

ilmaestro said:
I'd rather have a quick-fix now, and gradually find the happy medium, than leave it as it was. Realistically, not having a certain avatar doesn't affect your use of the site in the same way that other people having certain avatars does.
I dont mind the start from scratch and build up idea, as long as it gets somewhere at that happy medium.

However, I disagree with the later statement. In technical terms, what you say is right, but it's not as enjoyable to log in and find a bland and blank alias with a name for an identity. It suck for one who likes visual asthetics, and it kinda takes a part of someone's individuality.

Chaz said:
However, I disagree with the later statement. In technical terms, what you say is right, but it's not as enjoyable to log in and find a bland and blank alias with a name for an identity. It suck for one who likes visual asthetics, and it kinda takes a part of someone's individuality.
No, I agree that neither situation is "ideal", but like I say I'd rather have the situation like it is now, where people are being inconvenienced due to their own preferences, rather than the previous situation, where people were being inconvenienced due to other people's preferences. That's the key difference I would make.

Chaz said:
Urgh! That's even worse!
This server's issue with the 24k memory limit is suffocating! most of the images are decent quality, and therefore surpass that limitation, leave less creativity...

That's why outside avatars are better, so it doesn't suck up server memory, but gives good avatar/image freedom.
Sorry, Chaos, but as good as it is for making results a certainty, I feel it's a poor quick-fix.
Oops...

maybe best way around it is to put it into the rules about the size

and then anyone breaking it recieves a verbal warning then an official one

Ryo Chan said:
maybe best way around it is to put it into the rules about the size

and then anyone breaking it recieves a verbal warning then an official one
I've forced them to be no bigger than 150 x 150 or else, they are automatically resized.

makes everybody happy

Back