Rounding up AmeCon news; the anime wave hits UK TV, hard!

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
It was another busy weekend for the UK anime industry as <a href="http://www.amecon.org/">AmeCon</a> went down with a number of exciting new announcements, much of which involve anime finally making progress on UK TV.

<strong>UK anime TV news</strong>
<ul>
<li>No doubt, the biggest announcement at the convention was the official confirmation of Anime Central, the UK's first ever dedicated anime TV channel. As stated in the <a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/news/1471/uks-first-ever-anime-tv-channel-to-launch-with-fma-bebop">previous news post</a>, the channel will begin airing .hack //SIGN, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gundam Seed, Planetes, Wolf's Rain and Transformers (series details unknown). In additional to all this, it has also been revealed that they will be broadcasting Bleach, Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (1ST and 2ND GIG), S-CRY-ED and Witch Hunter Robin. The channel will be officially opening on Sky Ditigal on September 10th, 9pm to 6am, everyday from then on. Be sure to bookmark their official website (<a href="http://www.animecentral.com/">animecentral.com</a>), which will no doubt be launching soon.</li>

<li>From September 8th, ADV's "<a href="http://www.theanimenetwork.com/animenetworkuk/index.html">Anime Network</a>" (Sky Digital TV channel 195) will be expanding to 7 days (8PM until 10PM), with new episode premieres screening on Saturday and Sunday evenings. The Saturday line-up will be Azumanga Daioh, Kurau: Phantom Memory, Pani Poni Dash and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, while Sunday includes Guyver (2006), Innocent Venus, Jinki: Extend and Neon Genesis Evangelion.</li>
</ul>
<strong>New UK anime DVD licenses and release information</strong>

In terms of new UK DVD licenses, there were no massive surprises.
<ul>
<li>ADV will be releasing GAINAX's latest classic "Gurren-Lagann" and Makoto (Voices of a Distant Star, Places Promised...) Shinkai's newest theatrical movie "5cm per second" as well as Ah! My Goddess TV season 2, Moonlight Mile, Project Blue Earth, Pumpkin Scissors, Project Blue Earth, Tokyo Majin and Welcome to the N.H.K..</li>

<li>Beez are considering releasing the hip-hop-influenced action series Tokyo Tribe 2, though this depends on its relative success in France first.</li>
</ul>
Thanks to both our forum user <a href="http://forums.animeuknews.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=100">hopeful_monster</a> and <a href="http://www.animeondvd.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/23239/">Anime On DVD's Danj</a> for providing us with this information.

It's amazing how fast the UK scene has changed in just half a year.

For what seemed like decades, we were chasing fruitless references to things like GXT and Sony's Animax, yet now, we're in the unbelievable position of having two dedicated anime channels, prospectively airing TV episodes every evening. Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Escaflowne and Stand Alone Complex - all Yoko Kanno and all set to air on UK TV ;)

Few more ADV releases that got missed, Innocent Venus (god knows why though), Blade Phantom Master (Shin Angyo Onshi), and The Wallflower.
Going to write a lot more about my time there and lots of ''don't quote me on that''s later.

Jesus Christ O_O

In just one weekend, we got Anime Central, a new channel dedicated to anime. And ADV has extended it to 7 Days.

Yup, the Golden Age of Anime has begun. We're catching up to America in which kind of anime are available on TV.

So if we have them, whats the point of having Animax. The majority of Animax anime are on Anime central, or gonna be.

I say animax is already too late to the party. Basically, I wouldn't care if it never reaches it here.

Chrono Demon said:
So if we have them, whats the point of having Animax. The majority of Animax anime are on Anime central, or gonna be.

I say animax is already too late to the party. Basically, I wouldn't care if it never reaches it here.

Don't rule out Animax. During the Anime Central Panel their name was brought up, and the general agreement was that when (rather than if ) they decided to do the UK they can throw more money at it than the rest combined. Also while Sony are interested mainly in movies they are begining to branch out (showing interest in Ultimate Hellsing). Currently their focus in on Germany and Eastern Europe (anime in big over there apparently... go figure).

Re: Rounding up AmeCon news; the anime wave hits UK TV, hard

Paul said:
<li>Beez are considering releasing the hip-hop-influenced action series Tokyo Tribe 2, though this depends on its relative success in France first.</li>
</ul>

OH MY GOD!! I really hope they do release this here, this was a fantastic series and i would snap it up in a second.

I find it funny how just some weeks ago, everyone was all "UK will never have an anime exclusive channel." Now we have one, BAM. Also, I might pick up Gurren-Lagann, considering how popular it is and I missed the chance to see the subbed version. ;/

I think it's a bit relevant so I'll post it here.

Just a reminder to those of you who weren't aware, Anime Network are making a push again for Street Team members over on their forums. (why they don't come over here and post requests on these forums I have no idea, I'm sure they'd get a bigger response)

If your genuinely interested in lending a hand making everyone more aware of this wonderful phenomenon called "Anime on British TV" then I'd really advise you to pop on over and lend your support. It really is for a good cause after all :)

Paul said:
It's amazing how fast the UK scene has changed in just half a year.
I'd like to echo that comment. Even though I'm still relatively new to the "hardcore" anime scene in the UK, things really are starting to move and change in the business. I'm really hoping everyone can get together and help push anime in the UK and make it something big and shiny! :D

Tokyo Tribe 2 looks like they will be here soon.
I can not believe that Azumanga Daioh is actually going to be aired in the UK. Thats going the best of them all. Bleach on anime central I hope they can air it early because they can bring in ratings.

Well i'm gonna subscribe to Sky Digi now, and i need to look for a new tv for my bedroom!!

It's great news how anime has developed in such a short space of time!!!

shh227 said:
Tokyo Tribe 2 looks like they will be here soon.
I can not believe that Azumanga Daioh is actually going to be aired in the UK. Thats going the best of them all. Bleach on anime central I hope they can air it early because they can bring in ratings.
I believe the guy from Anime Central said they are opening with Bleach, so that will be as early as they cna get it ;).

Also worth noting but not even slightly confirmed is that Manga are negotiating Death Note so that may well be announced in the near future.

Damn! this is awesome. I guess I’m going to have to keep an eye out for this. It's just a little ironic that Fullmetal alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, wolf's rain and Escaflowne have all shown before. But then again maybe there's something to be said for starting on familiar ground and gradually introduce new stuff.

This is great, and to top it off Gurren Lagann has a confirmed UK release, thats great, and its so soon after the US got it licensed. To see the likes of GitS: SAC on TV and Bebop again, i'm going to look forward to it.

Back