Sakamichi no Apollon Anime Adaptation

Genkina Hito

映画男!!!
The website for new television anime Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope) has revealed a trailer and revealed its production staff which includes composer Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Wolfs Rain, GitS: Stand Alone Complex) and director Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo).

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nzY6Y-AHEaw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nzY6Y-AHEaw?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<em>
Synopsis

It is the 1960s and the story focuses on Kaoru Nishimi, a smart but naïve young boy who has had to move around Japan a lot due to his father’s job. His circumstances make him something of an outcast but at his latest school he starts to get close with class president, Mukae Ritsuko, and bad boy Sentaro Kawabuchi who tends to skip class and get into fights. What unites the three is their shared love of jazz! </em>

This is an adaptation of Yuki Kodama’s manga and will be the first time that Yoko Kanno and Shinichiro Watanabe will have worked together in the twelve years since the Cowboy Bebop movie. Other names in the production staff include Yuki Nobuteru (Escaflowne, Record of Lodoss War), Ayako Katoh (Chihayafuru) and Yuuko Kakihara (Sora no Otoshimono, Persona 4: The Animation). The anime is being co-produced by Studio Tezuka and MAPPA (Masao Maruyama’s new studio).

The anime will be aired in Fuji TV’s Noitamina block from April.

<a href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-01-26/apollon-reunites-cowboy-bebop-director-composer-kanno">Source </a>

ilmaestro said:
Well, if anything is going to restore noitaminA's "traditional" reputation, then this sounds like it would be it. Very exciting.

You didn't think Thermae Romae deserved some kudos for at least restoring some of it? Lucius is upset now maes:

vlcsnap-2012-01-27-17h07m35s93-1.png

Reevothemusefan said:
ilmaestro said:
Well, if anything is going to restore noitaminA's "traditional" reputation, then this sounds like it would be it. Very exciting.

You didn't think Thermae Romae deserved some kudos for at least restoring some of it?
Mmm, only to the extent of adapting stuff that isn't particularly mainstream. I wouldn't really call TR's style of humor or general setup and atmosphere very traditional for noitaminA.

Plus, er, it's not that great. ^^;

ilmaestro said:
Reevothemusefan said:
ilmaestro said:

You didn't think Thermae Romae deserved some kudos for at least restoring some of it?
Mmm, only to the extent of adapting stuff that isn't particularly mainstream. I wouldn't really call TR's style of humor or general setup and atmosphere very traditional for noitaminA.

Plus, er, it's not that great. ^^;

Sure, it isn't going to be remembered for long and only lasted for three episodes.

But it provided me with some good entertainment & humor in it's short run time. Which I can't say for other anime i'm seeing this season (see Kill Me Baby & Symphogear)

On-Topic - Considering I watched Cowboy Bebop late last year, this project has me excited.

It vaguely amused me, sure, but I thought one 15 minute episode a week would have been enough.

Let's just say I am eager to get on to Black Rock Shooter. :p

Reevothemusefan said:
Sure, it isn't going to be remembered for long and only lasted for three episodes.

But it provided me with some good entertainment & humor in it's short run time. Which I can't say for other anime i'm seeing this season (see Kill Me Baby & Symphogear)

I like Kill Me Baby.

In any case this Sakamichi doesn't seem to have ecchi in it which is a relief considering the flood of shows with it. It also has jazz and hip people listen to jazz 8)

*Shrieks in delight* OMG, I thought the day Shinichiro Watanabe made another proper anime would never come. This is possibly the most exciting anime related news I have heard since I got back into anime in 2007! Even if it does turn out to be a somewhat homo-erotic coming of age tale, if it's got Shinichiro and Yoko behind it there is literally no way it can be anything other than brilliant.

Well, despite my fondness for shrieking, anime style homo erotic coming of age tales haven't proven to a be a favourite genre of mine. However I'm certain there is absolutely no way this can be anything other than amazing.

vashdaman said:
anime style homo erotic coming of age tales haven't proven to a be a favourite genre of mine.

If I had enough time to search for it, I would link a Samurai Champloo youtube video where Detective Manzou talks about his appreciation for the homoerotic past of Japan and compares it to Greece. But since I haven't enough time I can't do it.

Teo

And aren't you a massive fan of samurai-era Japan, vash? You know those guys ****ed each other because they didn't want to lower themselves to sleeping with women, right? ;)

This is all a conspiracy to induce Vash to audition for Versailles. Even his university professor is part of this.

Vash, now forget about what you just read:

Hypnotoad_animated.gif

Teo

I like the strange direction this thread has taken. Vash should do a project on this topic for his studies, I'd happily supply historical reference materials and my views on modern day interpretations.

(Oh, and the anime that the thread is about looks solid, of course. Definitely going to watch it when the time comes.)

R

^
That would actually be a pretty interesting topic. I'd be interested to hear you interpretation, you should post a topic about it in the general forum :thumb:.

And aren't you a massive fan of samurai-era Japan, vash? You know those guys ****ed each other because they didn't want to lower themselves to sleeping with women

And who could blame them? I'd do the same thing if I had hunks like the one below around me!

ken_watanabe.jpg

Back