"Sazae-san" is the only anime to still use cel animation

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<a href="http://zepy.momotato.com/2007/08/29/the-last-one-standing-in-japanese-cel-animation/">Asahi.com (by way of Canned Dogs)</a> has noted that the childrens anime "Sazae-san" (airing since 1968!) is the only show left on Japanese TV animated using the classic method of hand-drawn "cel" animation (the vast majority of Japanese animators now (almost exclusively) use computers).

The decision to stick with hand-drawn art was a stylistic call, since this decidedly 'manual' aesthetic creates a "warmhearted feeling which puts the minds of viewers at peace". Interestingly, Sazae-san is even being held back from high definition digital TV broadcast - because the clarity of picture exposes the human error in the animation.

I've got to agree in some ways. Cel animation to me does actually have a certain warmth and familiarity to it which I prefer over digital animation. I have no complaints with digital animation but oddly I prefer the look of more traditional animation. It has a unique look to it and can create a whole different atmosphere.

That's pretty cool. Sazae-san's one of those series that virtually everyone in Japan knows about, so it's nice to see a big title making the last stand for cel animation.

Paul said:
the childrens' anime "Sazae-san"
Since when was Sazae-san a "childrens' anime"? Pretty Cure and Pokémon are children's anime, Love Hina and Chobits are teenage/otaku anime, and Saze-san, Porco Rosso and Only Yesterday, while they have little, if anything, "inappropriate" for children, are aimed primarily at regular adults. Or at least, that was my understanding of them.

Turtleheart said:
Paul said:
the childrens' anime "Sazae-san"
Since when was Sazae-san a "childrens' anime"?
Maybe saying it's suitable for family viewing would be better? I'm guessing it's on in the early evening...? (I've only ever read some of the manga so can't really comment on the anime tbh)

Back