Shounen best as Anime, Shojo best as Manga

Jimi-Jam

Dandy Guy, in Space
I have this half-baked theory, based on not a lot of evidence, that the Shounen genre is best enjoyed via Anime where as Shojo is best when read in a Manga.

The thinking is along the lines of a typical action/fighting based shounen clearly benefits from the visuals of full animation along with sound effects etc, where as the drama and emotion of a typical shojo is better conveyed with the written word and the still frames/artwork of a manga.

Feel free to agree, disagree, and/or provide examples that support or refute this paper-thin theory…

I see it the other way around, even if some Shoujo series own, to me the art is to weak to appreciate and it's much better being viewed as an anime, while Shounen is better to read than watch, though seeing a highly anticipated Shounen fight is always good to see.

Ah, I agree with the Shounen being best as anime, i personally find something like Naruto quite hard to follow in the manga due to the many lines flying around and subtle movements that don't make sense to the next panel.

In one sense you could portrait the manga as a storyboard for the anime. xD.

I personally would prefer to read a slower manga, not really always a shojo. An example being something along the lines of Death Note. It is better as a manga. Even though the 'heavy' writing scenes in the anime are nice and pretty, its not exactly a necessity to the story. Also the Tennis match even was more exciting in the manga than the anime (imo). xD.

But. . .I somewhat agree with your idea there Jimi-Jam

Back