Sky's 50 Anime You Must See.

Nice to see a list put together by someone who actually knows their stuff for a change. Still Ghibli dominated as you'd expect from a Western perspective (and there is no way Kai Doh Maru belongs on that list) but to see both Patlabor films and Kon's entire œuvre in there is heartening.

That doesn't mean that all previous copies were rounded up and destroyed, or that they then become ineligible for inclusion on "must see" lists though, surely?

And of course, there are imports and downloads... the fact that something is OOP doesn't put it out of the reach of people in the modern world.

"Millennium Actress - While it may be director Kon's weakest film.." FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF :evil: I thought Tokyo Godfathers was his weakest, though maybe that's just my total and utter devotion to his reality bending style and TG is his only film without it, that said it was still a decent enough film, but it wasn't something that you'd immediately go "Oh this must be a Kon flick"

Pokémon: The First Movie is good, but some of the best stuff came up later. Destiny Deoxys and my personal favourite, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew are superb.

Also, was this every anime film ever released on DVD here?

Jayme said:
Pokémon: The First Movie is good, but some of the best stuff came up later. Destiny Deoxys and my personal favourite, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew are superb.

Also, was this every anime film ever released on DVD here?

It's must-see anime, so i don't think they necessarily have to be the best, just iconic and you can't deny that the first movie was THE defining pokemon movie. It was the climax of the pokemon craze at its fullest and things didn't get much bigger than Mew v Mewtwo (if the actual film was a bit meh)

This list was pretty good until I got to the Gundam Wing movie, once I saw that I just closed the tab. It's hard enough being able to finish the series, but watch the movie? Ugh.

ayase said:
...from a Western perspective

We are western, so it does make sense. We you hoping for an eastern perspective? lol.

OT: I lol'd when I saw Overfiend. I guess it shows BlackWolf's introduction to anime was with a true classic, a must see.

I'd give them credit for about 33-34 really great things on there. The rest were just "oh ****, we haven't actually heard of any other movies/one shot OVAs/directors to list 20 different things from".

Durial666 said:
They put Paranoia Angel instead of Paranoia Agent in Paprika I think.

They mentioned Paprika in that list? In spite of the fact that it's astoundingly mediocre, pretentious crap?

Just my opinion there, folks. :wink:

HdE said:
Durial666 said:
They put Paranoia Angel instead of Paranoia Agent in Paprika I think.

They mentioned Paprika in that list? In spite of the fact that it's astoundingly mediocre, pretentious crap?

Just my opinion there, folks. :wink:

*more rage* =P I disagree that it's pretentious. Pretentious is trying to be more important than it is. When people say Halo is the best game ever, that's pretentious. Paprika's not really pretentious, it's not trying to push a message or anything it's just a movie about the nature of dreams and reality. But as you say it's your opinion, and in MY opinion, your loss ;P

and just when I thought we could be friends *shakes head* (just kidding :wink: )

Back