Sonic CD 2011

Stardust Snake

Completely Average High School Student
..Although shouldn't be called Sonic DD (Digital Distribution) right now?. This rare, acclaimed has finally spun it's way to Xbox Live, PSN, Android, Apple Story and soon Steam. Sadly not Wii or the 3DS, possibly due to download limits. Hopefully for the Wii-U. maybe.

Unlike a lot of old-skool games released by DD this is actually a remake, the engine that is remade. Whilst you usually have games emu + rom such in other Sonic dlc or collections, this is actually built from the ground up (Whilst still using the art music and what not.) it was spearheaded by 'The Taxman' a prominent member around Sonic Fangames who showed a proof of concept to Sega in 2009.

To understand a bit more significantly while this is fantastic, a brief History of Sonic CD to those who don't know.

Sonic CD was a result of members of the orginal Team that created Sonic The Hedgehog moving to the US to nurture the American Sega devoplement team there whilst others staying in Japan. Two Sonic games were being created at the same time, the team in the US worked on Sonic 2 while the Japanese team were assigned to work on a Sonic game to headline the ill-fated CD Add on for the Mega Drive. Sonic 2 came out success, and CD came out.

When it reached the states SoA were concern at the soundtrack which was mostly J-Pop and commissioned a new soundtrack everything put the past music in game was changed. (Europe got the identical Soundtrack to the Japanese one, bar Gems collection.)

Significantly, this has divided fans for nearly two decades, one gaming publication even gave the American Sonic CD a lower score than its Japanese counterpart. However, fans are now able to enjoy both soundtracks (granted with slight changes in the intro and ending because of licensing) which keeps boths camps happy. Not only that but the music in the game now loops, something not in either version of the original, from either not knowing how to or unable to. Usually the track would play, followed by a few seconds of no music followed by it playing again.

I can not oversing the praises of this version. Even if you have the original or the Gems version (Which, compared to this was horrible, only one soundtrack and graphic glitches) it' one of the best versions of one of the best Sonic games, (Not the best, that would be Sonic 3 and Knuckles but I disgress) and one of the rarest ones. And it comes with a few little extras like able to play as Tails, leaderboard and all that.

I adore this. <3 and it cost just pennies (about 400 of them infact.) as a massive Sonic fan I'm glad to see his legacy get the respect it deserves.

(psss. lets hope for a Sonic 3 and Knuckles do over next..psss. I'd buy 10 copies if I could.)

I've still got the Mega CD version. JPN/UK soundtrack was a thousand times better.

Weird level design, skewed on the y-axis, sometimes resulting in the time travel shenanigans getting you stuck in scenery. Felt like an add-on to Sonic 1 most of the time. Shame this release cuts out the original's 'opening and ending songs; they were cheesy and fun to say the least.

I had no idea this was stemmed off a fanmade homebrew title, gives me hope that Bombergames might be getting approached for their Streets of Rage remake that was forced out of distribution within 24 hours of being released.

Doubt it. It's not a straight port and a straight manual scan, and Sega have been making Sonic names universal since Sonic Adventure.

buuuut I have a feeling you probably knew that and was just pointing out that fun little bit of trivia!

Back