Spirited Away to premiere on BBC2 over the Christmas break

This is the first anime (non-Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh! card-game fare) on terrestrial TV for a long while now, right? Lets hope millions tune in for this; Spirited Away is a great choice for the festive season.

Paul said:
This is the first anime (non-Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh! card-game fare) on terrestrial TV for a long while now, right? Lets hope millions tune in for this; Spirited Away is a great choice for the festive season.

Weird, I was just thinking "what if Spirited Away got shown on the BBC over the Christmas break?" Strange...

Anyway, it is a good choice for Christmas. I first saw it then.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Since Metropolis on channel 4 earlier this year I think it is.

At 3AM >_>

Indeed, Tokyo Godfathers as well as being a fantastic movie is set at christmas so it would be the perfect choice. One of the reasons I think they chose Spirited Away though (apart from being one of the best selling UK anime DVD's) is that it has an English dub. Sadly too many people in this country don't want to 'read movies'.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Indeed, Tokyo Godfathers as well as being a fantastic movie is set at christmas so it would be the perfect choice. One of the reasons I think they chose Spirited Away though (apart from being one of the best selling UK anime DVD's) is that it has an English dub. Sadly too many people in this country don't want to 'read movies'.

Ah well, despite what the Ghibli fanboys say, the dub's pretty good.

I still remember this as the single anime I got from the most unlikely person in the world to watch animes -- my brother :D
Apparently one of his friends was blown away after watching it, and so was I a couple of hours later. This is simply one beautyful anime, Ghibli at (one of) their best, and obviously a must-see if you don't have anything better to do / watch on Christmas.

McIcy said:
Could Spirited Away become the new Xmas movie to replace films like The Santa Claus and ET........... god I hope so
Lol, wouldn't that be cool, Spirited Away as the traditional Christmas viewing for families all across the UK :).

As Tokyo Godfathers, i'd say theres as much chance of the BBC showing Fruits Basket, with it only being subbed, it's not exactly the family Christmas viewing Spirited Away will be, lol

Well, it's on in the evening so the BBC clearly have some hope for it being a hit!

Though I still think the film works best at 1AM... there's something I love about the feeling of everything around you being dead.

Back