Spring 2011 - First Impressions

Maxon said:
Dororon Enma-kun Meramera
I have a feeling I'll be the only person here watching this, but whatever. This was a really fun watch. I just love Go Nagai's sense of humour, and this remake captures everything that is good about his works. The sexual jokes were spot on, like with the old woman that was "doing the helicopter" with her breasts, and the demon that was thrusting a giant pointy thing from his crotch. Basically, this is the perfect anime for finding out what Go Nagai is all about. I'll be looking forward to this each week.

Checked it out a few nights ago so you wont be the only one mate ;)

It was rather creepy how that old woman was swinging her breasts. The visual style is certainly unique and it looks like it could be a good series

Tiger and Bunny
Awesome. The rest speaks for itself, go watch it, it's free legally. 8/10

Hanasaku Iroha
This is also good, but if she doesn't go home and get back with the guy from the start, I'll be pissed. 7/10

C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
Looks like it could be quite interesting, but they didn't explain much 6/10

AnoHana
C was meant to be the big noitaminA show this season, but I liked the first episode of this more. 7/10
Also, I lol'd after the really emotional ending, there was suddenly a Japanese Gilette Power Glide advert XD

Aria The Scarlet Ammo
Kinda generic, but I'll stick with it. 5/10

Denpa Onna
Also generic, but could get interesting. 6/10

Last edited by a moderator:
A Channel
It's funny at times, but it boils down to 'cute girls doing cute things' with next to no plot :(. 4/10

Da Do Ron Ron Ron Da Do Ron Ron
Very interesting, but weird. Could take some time getting into it. 6/10

-----

Spring 2011 shows. Favourite > Least Favourite
Tiger & Bunny
Hanasaku Iroha
AnoHana
[C] - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
Dororon Enma-kun Meramera
Denpa Onna
Aria The Scarlet Ammo
A Channel

Plan to watch
Deadman
My Ordinary Life
Blue Exorcist
TWGOK S2 (Probably marathon S1 later today)

Watched the first episode of Hanasaku Iroha this morning. The art is nice and it seems well animated, but the story didn't really grab me. It struck me as being like an unromanticised take on a Ghibli film (Ohana learns that life can be kinda ****!), which is intriguing, but from what I'd read beforehand, I was expecting Ohana to be angstier and her mother to be bitchier.

Got around to Denpa Onna today; actually enjoyed it far more than I was expecting to. I wasn't too keen on the art, but it was quirky and fun. Based on the first episode, I kinda doubt it'll have the substance to be a major series, but it's definitely got the ShaftxShinbo stamp all over it, so I'd say fans of Arakawa and Bakemonogatari should get a kick out of it.

This isn't quite a viewing journal post, so I'll c&p it in here:

For the moment I am managing to kill myself and limit my imports from the season to three (errrr, if I count Seikon no Qwaser as not being from this season because it's a sequel >_>):

AnoHana is miles above everything else, both this season and in recent memory for me. From the first thirty seconds onwards it has been full to the brim with genuine emotion, and never less than compelling. The characters all have their own individual appeal, but I have connected with Naruko in particular like few characters I can remember. Absolute perfection.

Denpa Onna and Hanasaku Iroha were pretty much guaranteed imports before the season began (based on source material and associated staff, respectively) as long as nothing went wrong, and it hasn't so far. I can't believe how well they captured the feel of Denpa Onna, and in virtually any other season Erio would be running away with my vote for favorite character. Hanasaku is typical PA Works beauty, with the odd touch of delicacy that borders on the sublime. Plus my irrational love of Omigawa Chiaki.

Seikon no Qwaser is pretty inexplicable, I guess. But the show is so outrageous, and deceptively legitimate plot-wise, that I don't much feel like not importing it after buying the first season.

Outside of those I would love to be importing Moshidora, Nichijou, Steins;Gate, Showamonogatari, and even maybe Tiger & Bunny, but it is not logistically sensible for me to do so.

I'm also still enjoying enough to have carried on with OreTsuba, Sengoku Otome, Kaiji, 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku, SKET DANCE, Hyougemono, A-Channel, Enma-kun, Lotte no Omocha, KamiNomi II, [C], Hidan no Aria, and Deadman Wonderland.

Have dropped Softenni, DOG DAYS, Hen-zemi, HoshiKaka, and Ao no Exorcist, and never got around to starting Azazel-san.

I think i'm going to do a list of what i've enjoyed this season, kind of similar to maes:

Excellent -

Kaiji S2 - So far my best of season and like the first series; Madhouse don't disappoint in this awesome sequel. The tension & clever gambling habits make it a nerve wracking experience at times and my praise of the series is still strong!

Tiger & Bunny - I didn't think i'd love this as much as I should but I really have found Tiger and Bunny to be brillant at explaining it's concept and characters. Kotetsu (a.k.a Wild Tiger) is pretty much my favourite character of the season, his comical relief is solid everytime his on screen and while the Super Hero's are given some back story, the plot is fantastically woven into it as well.

Good -

Anohana - Like I said back in the VJ thread, I don't seem to have that same emotional impact that a lot of people are getting but I cannot deny that this series can pull you heart-strings as well as being so charming at times. Jinta's recent determination has been such a highlight. While I do have minor gripes with characters and lack of excitement for next episodes. It still is worth a watch none-the-less.

Maria holic Alive - Enjoying this a lot more that its predecessor, sure there is a huge amount of characters and plot is pretty much non-existant but the amount of laughs and spoofs i've seen throughout Maria holic Alive is great fun.

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko - Again SHAFT have made another fun season that is both interesting and humorus to say the least. Erio being re-introduced to the real world has been natural and wonderfully realised.

Other good shows:
Deadman Wonderland
Hanasaku Iroha
Steins;Gate
Astarotte no Omocha!
The World God Only Knows II

Mediocre shows:
[C] - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
Aria the Scarlet Ammo

Dropped shows:
A-Channel
A Bridge to the Starry Skies
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai
Softenni
Battle Girls: Time Paradox

Ao no Exorcist
A friend made me watch the first episode...it didn't grab me.

Deadman Wonderland
I watched episodes 1-3 the other day. I liked it for the sheer fact that it's disturbing as hell. However, I don't know if I can justify watching the entire series on such a whim.

So far I've only watched Deadman Wonderland and Tiger & Bunny.

Deadman Wonderland I was enjoying to begin with. The idea of framing little Ganta for killing all of his school friends and the privately owned prison were appealing. However, once I got to episode 4 and 5 Ganta was starting to piss me off, being the weak little shite that he is. I know he's in a prison and people are being tortured and killed on a whim but COME ON. Forever crying and generally being a wimp. I don't like these characters.

I'll watch the next few episodes though since him gaining some control of his powers does intrigue me.

Tiger & Bunny is a strange one for me, I've watched up to episode 10 and I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. Tiger is funny, I'll agree with people on that. Who doesn't like a loveable dumbass. I can't however get my head around the concept of Heroes being Heroes for TV companies sake, earning points for arrests and stopping for ad breaks, wut. Even for anime it seems retarded.

Still, I'll keep watching and see where it goes. I like Lunatic.

Back