Studio Ghibli possibly closing?

********, Hayao. Where's all the money gone then? Surely sales of Ponyo DVDs alone could add another ten square miles of land to Hokkaido.

I suspect this is just a clever ruse to lure adult fans back to the cinema for Arietty, with the promise of a Porco sequel if they oblige.

So long as they keep his son away from the films all should be well. Sounds like a bit of a PR stunt to me. The interview where he first mentioned the Porco sequel had nothing about this.

However he is a pretty old man.

If Ghibli does (against all odds) actually close, you can bet it won't be anything to do with money or box-office performance. Both are off the scale compared to any other animation studio.

Closure isn't really what they're saying will happen though. They're just being realistic about the kind of contingencies that need to be created for a film studio whose core output is dependent on several retirement-age film makers.

Mind you, if Ghibli didn't have Miyazaki, would it really be Ghibli? It's not like they couldn't establish a Ghibli brand beyond the man, but given three decades, they've consistently failed to. Takahata disappeared, Kondo was a tragic loss and new talents were drafted in and lost with increasing desperation. Ultimately - and I say this as one of the site's most monotone ghibli lovers - it won't be the brand I cry for when Miyazaki stops making movies.

I've been sitting here for a while and ideas of Disney shutting down and Disney buying Ghibli have both floated in and out of my head, and now I've got it in my mind that Miyazaki and Lasseter should totally switch companies for a film. Hmm... Disney certainly know how to recruit talented new people as well.

Jayme said:
I've been sitting here for a while and ideas of Disney shutting down and Disney buying Ghibli have both floated in and out of my head, and now I've got it in my mind that Miyazaki and Lasseter should totally switch companies for a film. Hmm... Disney certainly know how to recruit talented new people as well.
dewf_2.jpg

I'm with kupocake in this one. They've been talking about retiring Myiazaki for a decade now, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, I'll still look forward to Takahata's new film.

I wonder if Hosoda was still in Ghibli, what would TGWLTT and Summer wars be like...

I really was just thinking of Pixar but didn't want to completely shun some of their other staff. Also, Miyazaki with Disney's budget and Lasseter with Ghibli's style.

Ladies, we'll save money, so when the film comes out in America, we'll buy a screen to ourselves, for each person.

Seriously though...Ghibli films are some of the only commercially successful films released of late that aren't complete rubbish. That is, when Goro isn't directing them.

This interview was done a little while ago, I believe, actually before Arrietty (and its young director) was released in Japan and met with the success it has. As kupocake says, though, I suspect this is just simply Miyazaki telling you the status quo at Ghibli, rather than some sort of thing that has suddenly come upon them and the studio is suddenly likely to go out of business.

yeah its a load of old rubbish if you ask me,Arrietty done the buisness at the box office and even it did not is that enough reason to close down a studio,they must be making so much money these days especially since the ghibli movies are so popular worldwide now,i mean they were doing more than all right before they even released there movies outside of japan,just dont let Goro Miyazaki near the directing chair ever again because that did damage there reputation and tarnished there near perfect cannon of work.

Back