Studio Ghibli season on Film4 through out August

I'll be watching Film Four for the world cinema rather than Ghibli. It's good that people will be able to watch something that they may haven't seen on digital freeview - but can we have something else than Ghibli films?
Maybe something like Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue/Millennium Actress would be better fitting (in my opinion). :D
________
Think mill

yay i finally get to see a Ghibli film! iv'e been wanting to see one for ages because they're ment to be good, and now i get to see them for free :D

I e-mailed this in as well, but I'm not surprised that I wasn't the first. :wink:

There seems to be ongoing confusion here… If it's any help:
Porco Rosso (Kurenai no Buta) is about a big fat anthropomorphic pig (or rather, a man who was turned into one) who talks and drinks beer on an island in the Adriatic sea in the summer of 1929.
Heisei Tanuki Gassen Pom Poko (a Takahata, not Miyazaki film) is a documentary of the native tankui's efforts to prevent, or at least postpone, the building of Tama New Town, western Tokyo across a few years in the 1960s. I'm not entirely sure what a "dam" is, but out of all the films I've seen (Ghibli or otherwise) Pom Poko is, if I had to choose, my 3rd favourite after Mononoke and Laputa. I like it because it's the most Japanese, in terms of both sound and visuals, and also the most emotive of the Ghibli films - it's the only one (so far) to make me physically laugh and cry. It is worth having the DVD if only for the yôkai parade, in which you pause the screen every second (or even more frequently, in some parts) and see something completely different, but for me the most emotive moments were the arrival of the 3 masters and the final illusion which would be ruined if I were to try explaining it.

I am a bit uneasy that such adult films as Porco Rosso and Mononoke are being shown in the family slot and will probably be dubbed, but this is still such a great achievement that I have no right to criticise it. There's a strong possibility (especially if the viewing figures are good this time round) that the Takahata films and Whisper of the Heart will be shown at a latter date, but I agree that I'd like to see some Satoshi Kon films even more - Millennium Actress in particular, as the dub of that is English, rather than American. I can certainly see that happening, but having serial experiments lain and Paranoia Agent on UK TV still seems an awfully long way off.

neptune2venus said:
I'll be watching Film Four for the world cinema rather than Ghibli. It's good that people will be able to watch something that they may haven't seen on digital freeview - but can we have something else than Ghibli films?
Maybe something like Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue/Millennium Actress would be better fitting (in my opinion). :D
I was actually waiting to see how long it would take before you resumed your Ghibli hate campaign. Get over it already. :roll:

The channel's only just relaunched so there's plenty of time for other stuff once they've settled everything and gotten back into their stride. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to get one of the GitS films, or possibly a special screening of Place Promsed as its DVD release date nears. The chances may be slim but the possibilities are exciting!

It would be more accurate to describe this as a "Hayao Miyazaki" season actually. No films by any other Ghibli director are showing, and the only films missing from Miyazaki's works are Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. Can't have a Ghibli season without Grave of the Fireflies and Whisper of the Heart IMO :p I also find it strange that Only Yesterday hasn't squeezed in there in order to promote the DVD release.

But what do I care, I still don't have Digital after all these years... But I do have all the DVDs :p

neptune2venus said:
And what a long and commercially viable season that would be :p

I'm so looking forward to this, i was just watching the adverts on the channel earlier today, it's so great that such a good film channel has become free :)

ConcreteBadger said:
I was actually waiting to see how long it would take before you resumed your Ghibli hate campaign. Get over it already. :roll:

I don't have a hate campaign against Ghibli - I'm just stating my opinion and will continue doing so. :p

kupoartist said:
And what a long and commercially viable season that would be

Studio Ghibli has what.. 12 more films than what Satoshi Kon has made? I'm just saying that there should be more variety, not just Ghibli.
________
BUBBLER PIPE

Please, please, don't derail yet another thread with juvenile ravings about "it's just my opinion." and similar excuses for attention-seeking tactics. Anyone who's been on the forum for any length of time will have a clear idea of your point of view so there's no need to labour the point - why not add it to your sig or something and have done with it?!

Sure, I'm as enthusiastic as anyone to see Satoshi kon's excellent work on mainstream TV but the channel needs to get a better feel for what its audience wants before straying from the material that has mass appeal. Give it time. Millennium Actress will some day grace our screens but until then please desist from these predictable rants that serve nothing but your ego.

Thank you.

ConcreteBadger said:
Give it time. Millennium Actress will some day grace our screens but until then please desist from these predictable rants that serve nothing but your ego.
I wouldn't promace nothin' as far as anime on uk tv is concerend.

So many crushed sprits...it's saddening. :wink:

The films look like they will be dubbed.

Kiki's Delivery Service
[widescreen]
(1989) A young witch opens her own courier company in this stunning animated tale from Japan's Hayao Miyazaki. Dubbed in English with the voices of Kirsten Dunst, Phil Hartman and Debbie Reynolds.

oh and Kirsten Dunt is Mary Jane from Spiderman.

keyblade_master uk said:
Are they gonna be Dubbed. I don't like jap/subs, and I won't watch them if they not dubbed
For a moment I read that as 'I don't like Japs' and went 'o_O'.

Now I just realize you're lazy and that's fine!

WTFDaveMustaine said:
keyblade_master uk said:
Are they gonna be Dubbed. I don't like jap/subs, and I won't watch them if they not dubbed
For a moment I read that as 'I don't like Japs' and went 'o_O'.

Now I just realize you're lazy and that's fine!

I dont mind either subs or dubs, as long as I get the story im not bothered. But I perfer to have dubs on TV cause if I miss text on a sub I cant rewind TV and I cant be bothered taping it.

Judging purely from the time-slot, I'm pretty sure they will all be dubbed - if subtitled animé is ever shown it tends to be after midnight. There's still a slight possibility, that as they're showing each film twice, one showing will be subbed and the other a dub - but I wouldn't hope for or fear it.

I'll ask FilmFour about it on their forum, but they might not even know themselves yet.

keyblade_master uk said:

Then you miss out on a slice of awesomeness depending what the movie was.

70% of the time, the Japanese versions are better in emotion of portraying the character.

Rukario said:
keyblade_master uk said:

70% of the time, the Japanese versions are better in emotion of portraying the character.

Maybe, But i'm better with the english language.I've been brought up with it and thats how i enjoy it. I might watch a sub soon, for learning to speak japaneese. but for now, i'm sticking with english

keyblade_master uk said:
Rukario said:
keyblade_master uk said:

Maybe, But i'm better with the english language.I've been brought up with it and thats how i enjoy it. I might watch a sub soon, for learning to speak japaneese. but for now, i'm sticking with english

Watching subs isnt that great if you want to learn Japanese, cause your concentrating more on the text and just blank out the voices, plus they speak way too fast, if your gonna learn then you will have to learn from a slow speaker then pick up the pace of the language, your trying to run before you can walk.

There is a podcast for learning japanese which is really good.

Surley, f you're learning Japanese, like me, then you'd appreciate any and all exposure to it in it's spoken form in order to grasp it better? Or am I in cookoo-land?

adamcube said:
Surley, f you're learning Japanese, like me, then you'd appreciate any and all exposure to it in it's spoken form in order to grasp it better? Or am I in cookoo-land?
True but it doesn't really teach you good Japanese to watch anime with subtitles. Anime is probably not the best starting point to learn Japanese from in the first instance. The most common style of language used would probably earn a few odd looks if you talked to strangers in such a way since it is mostly informal, slang language used between friends or people largely familiar with one-another.

Back