Summer 2011

Well if the anime continues at its current pace it wont get anywhere close to the ending, considering the first episode was one chapter of the manga and I think there are only going to be 11 episodes.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Reevothemusefan said:
Usagi/Bunny Drop
Is it me or are some of the AnimeNewNetwork editors on the Summer 2011 guide being a bit childish because of the manga ending.
That's only Zac, isn't it? I feel the same way, incidentally, and I don't see what's "childish" about it. Since being spoiled on the manga ending and finding out where the story is going, I've lost all interest.

I must be the only one who doesn't know how the manga ends, so yes my comment is a bit unfair. (and yes I did only mean Zac)

Lawrence said:
I live under a rock, so that makes two of us.
Should I prepare to be disappointed for the ending then?

@Maes iM@S, have you watched it yet? Is it even out yet?
It's out. It looks gorgeous. Fantastic animation work.
Documentory style, with onscreen text of interviewers questions, so it is not despoiled by the voice of man.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is with people not watching the whole episode of Idolmaster?

There is a guy in the show. The cameraman is the new producer for the firm and is voiced, introduced and shown in the very first episode.

MikeP said:
What is with people not watching the whole episode of Idolmaster?

There is a guy in the show. The cameraman is the new producer for the firm and is voiced, introduced and shown in the very first episode.
Because, stylisicaly, the documentary is far more interesting.
The player character is irrelavent in this, it's all about the girls. If you want developed male charcters, go watch shows aimed at women, not raising sim otaku.

If Blood-C has the same quality of action sequences each week, will watch even if the cast are noodle people.

Also excited for IDOLM@STER & Penguindrum.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Reevothemusefan said:
Usagi/Bunny Drop
Is it me or are some of the AnimeNewNetwork editors on the Summer 2011 guide being a bit childish because of the manga ending.
That's only Zac, isn't it? I feel the same way, incidentally, and I don't see what's "childish" about it. Since being spoiled on the manga ending and finding out where the story is going, I've lost all interest.
This is sounding very not good.

Lawrence said:
But if we continue with that kind of mind set, nothing will change.
A good show shouldn't appeal to one demopgraphic, it should cater to all.

Hell nothing is to stop girl on girl action existing in a male inclusive show, the amount of it would just be reduced and unless you're trying to compete with K-on - which would just be stupid - there isn't much point in going for the "Cute girls doing cute things" kind of show. I doubt there will be many shows of the same concept that can actually shift as many units as it did, whether you like it or not.

/td rl; Most anime of current is pretty poor.
iM@S as a franchise is bigger than K-on! anyway. This isn't aimed at people that aren't already fans of iM@S, it has a pre-existing audience and knows what they like already.

This studio only does cute girls going cute things.
This is a show basesd solely on moe, if it contains these characters it will sell, irrespective of trivialities like plot and development.

Anime doesn't try to apeal to a wider audience as it's futile to do so, when it tries it normaly flops cataclysmicaly. Whereas show that are percisely targeted sell consitently. There isn't enough money in the industry for it to afford to take risks.

Reaper gI said:
Lawrence said:
But if we continue with that kind of mind set, nothing will change.
A good show shouldn't appeal to one demopgraphic, it should cater to all.

Hell nothing is to stop girl on girl action existing in a male inclusive show, the amount of it would just be reduced and unless you're trying to compete with K-on - which would just be stupid - there isn't much point in going for the "Cute girls doing cute things" kind of show. I doubt there will be many shows of the same concept that can actually shift as many units as it did, whether you like it or not.

/td rl; Most anime of current is pretty poor.
iM@S as a franchise is bigger than K-on! anyway. This isn't aimed at people that aren't already fans of iM@S, it has a pre-existing audience and knows what they like already.

This studio only does cute girls going cute things.
This is a show basesd solely on moe, if it contains these characters it will sell, irrespective of trivialities like plot and development.

Anime doesn't try to apeal to a wider audience as it's futile to do so, when it tries it normaly flops cataclysmicaly. Whereas show that are percisely targeted sell consitently. There isn't enough money in the industry for it to afford to take risks.

Having seen the 1st episode and not having previous experience of Idolm@ster, i dont think it turned out that bad. It was certainly an interesting way of introducing all the female leads, heck at first i thought they were trying to mimic a visual novel. So i don't understand the fuss about it?

Anyway, glad to see Baka to Test is back :D

No, I didn't start any new shows yet, Lawro. ;_;

Monday and Tuesday are my days! What should I line up first, iM@S, Penguindrum.

I didn't even check yet what is on CR, that would make things easier.

ilmaestro said:

CR have Natsume Yujincho san, yuruyuri, Kamisama Dolls and Nekogami yoayorozu. 2/3 their linup is region blocked this season.

AoD look to have got exclusive rights rather than sharing with CR this season, so CR have next to no shows.

watch iM@S, Mawaru Penguindrum and Usagi Drop.

Genkina Hito said:
I can see a lot of people being disappointed with Blood-C. I found it tolerable.
I didnt think it was that bad. i was expecting saya to be a mopey b*tch but was pleasently surprised and quite like her character. if they loose the school crap and focus on the fights this could be my favorite show of the season but we all know thats not gonna happen :roll:

the other show i've been watching is Nurarihyon no mago season 2. its a massive improvement over the disaster that was the first season's plot structure and execution. it terms of animation and music its gotten better as well cause you can tell they actually got people who know how to animate a fight this time around. the comedy is a lot better done and there is less of aya harino's pedo-bait character who the first season's director seemed to love so much. all in all if anyone but me is actually interested in this shonen series i would recoment only watching the first 9 maybe 10 episodes of the first season to get the general gist of who the characters are. i would definetly reccomend this to fans of shonen anime (people like me) because i can assure you that this seasons plot will be spectacular as it is the best arc of this series so far and is by far the most interesting. :wink:

Reaper gI said:
ilmaestro said:

CR have Natsume Yujincho san, yuruyuri, Kamisama Dolls and Nekogami yoayorozu. 2/3 their linup is region blocked this season.

AoD look to have got exclusive rights rather than sharing with CR this season, so CR have next to no shows.

watch iM@S, Mawaru Penguindrum and Usagi Drop.
Cheers. I asked about the region blocked shows in another thread, so I'll look for your answer there.

Ikoku Meiro No Croisée

What I said: If it can produce that French atmosphere, like say Ristorante Paradiso did for Italy, then this can be a winner

What I thought: I was exactly right, Ikoku Meiro No Croisée is a mature, slow-paced Slice-Of-Life show that is very relaxing to watch. The characters are very likeable and the drama is carefully put into place.

So far i'm very impressed and will most certainly watch all of it.

The Idolm@ster

What I said: Girls, Girls everywhere. Serious Reevo: Might be a guilty pleasure, might annoy the hell out for me, i'll give it a shot

What I thought: I don't think I should judge this by the first episode since it smartly introduces us to the main idols. My gripe at this point is that it might be hard to remember all these characters in future.

I kind of still hope it turns into a guilty pleasure but these kind of shows tend to bore me.

Baka To Test S2:

What I said: Gave the first season a 6/10, it looked awesome but in my opinion the humor was more bad than good

What I thought: Yet again the animation looks stylish and fun but again Baka To Test resorts to random over-the-top gags that I can't seem to find funny and this was the typical very early beach episode.

Hopefully it's jokes get better as the series progesses.

Mawaru Penguindrum

What I thought: While the Director is known for his work on Revolutionary Girl Utena, i've never watched hos works. This first episode was comical, dramatic and absolutely weird......and I loved every second of it.

Add that an awesome Opening & Closing and you have one of the best first episodes this season!

Mayo Chiki!

What I thought:Comparing this to Mariaholic and MM! would be the best way to explian Mayo Chiki and this also means that it suffers the generic "Lets have the main male character get beat up every 2 minutes" situations.

Again it's sets us up for a plot that we have seen plenty of times, so being Kinjirou Sakamachi will be very suffering.

P.S Add Captain Falcon quotes to make it more entertaining.

Managed to squeeze in Kamisama no Memochou (GOSICK meets Durarara!!, blended by J.C.Staff, including all the positives and negatives that description allows for) and Ro-kyu-bu (seems to have important things to say about global grassroots basketball).

Why did I not start with the shows I was going to? Who knows.

This will be my last post until I go back to the VJ thread so:

Uta no Prince Sama - Maiji Love 1000%

What I thought: Not my cup of tea but found the first episode mildly entertaining, Shining Saotome the headmaster of the idol school seemed to be the only enthusatic character of the bunch (he has also done the voice for Mechazawa from Cromartie High School making him awesome)

Again I don't think i'd follow this but not because it's bad, it's just something i don't really want to follow.

R-15

What I thought: Again it's going to be one of those shows that going to insult my intelligence. It's got a stupid concept, a cardboard cut-out Harem and unfunny situations.

One of the worst of the season.

I still have Dantalion no Shoka to wait for but here are my best & worst impression list:

Best

1) Mawaru Penguindrum
2) Usagi Drop
3) Ikoku Meiro No Croisée
4) Kami-sama no Memo-chou
5) No. 6

Worst

1) R-15
2) Mayo Chiki!

Have now seen every ep 1 that I wanted to, so it's List Time:

Guaranteed JP Import - The Idolm@ster

Potential JP Import - Kami-sama no Memo-chou, Mawaru Penguindrum, BakaTest Ni!, Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi, Dantalian no Shoka

Guaranteed US Import - No.6, Blood-C, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, Kami-sama Dolls, Usagi Drop

Potential US Import - Sacred Seven, NuraMago II, Yuruyuri, Mayo Chiki!

Potentially Dropped - Nekogami Yaoyorozu, Ro-kyu-bu!, Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel, Manyuu Hikenchou

Dropped - R-15

Back