The 3DS set to be hit by pricecut and 20 free games

Arbalest

黒い剣士
So Nintendo today announced that everywhere is set to have a price reduction for the 3DS, though for the UK/EU, it looks like the price is yet again kept under wraps. SO far, the prices that have been given are:

Japan - Original 25000 yen, August 11th: 15000 yen
America - Original $249.00 - August 12th: $169.99
Australia - Original $349.95, August 12th: $250

Europe confirmed it would get an August 12th price cut, but never wanted to give us a price for it, typical from them, has to be said.

Not only is the price cuts coming into effect, they decided that they needed to give us 20 free games(i do mean this). This is split as 10 free NES games, and 10 free GBA games. So far, the ones we know are the following:

NES
Super Mario Bros
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ another five yet to be confirmed

Gameboy Advance
Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
+ another five yet to be confirmed

These are all on the Virtual Console, so would be picked up through the eshop.

For the European press release, have a look-see here

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/78O7ON7V1Ik?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/78O7ON7V1Ik?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

"We don't want you, our loyal (and a bit stupid) customers to regret buying our latest piece of overpriced gimmicky tat, so have twenty games... from our old consoles."

Some of those aren't bad though.

Nintendo are overreaching with their gimmicky consoles. The novelty has worn off. The DS was pretty cool, but the 3DS is just pointless. The Wii U won't be well received either.

CitizenGeek said:
Nintendo are overreaching with their gimmicky consoles. The novelty has worn off. The DS was pretty cool, but the 3DS is just pointless. The Wii U won't be well received either.

I've certainly enjoyed the 3DS so far, more so than the first year of the DS.

I like not hitting a brick wall with Seth mostly in the 3DS version of a specific fighting game.

EDIT: That's a literal meaning there.

CitizenGeek said:

The Wii U is way to early to tell. What it's doing is different, but at the same time, Sony are doing something along the same lines already with their PSP/PS3 port games, in which you can play a game on the PS3, port your data over to PSP, and continue. It's just for nintendo, you have to be in the same room. Plus, from the initial reactions from producers, they believe it can do what the PS360 can do, plus more, and they must do, otherwise Arkham City, Darksiders, Ninja Gaiden 3 and such wouldn't be getting put onto the console. Ah well. Still, i'd like more details, things are still way to much in the air, TGS will hopefully lift up that veil on uncertainty.

@Max: I have to agree. It's not had many releases admittedly, but the likes of Zelda, Dead or Alive and Street Fighter all have me hooked still. I just still need to pick up Resident Evil: Mercenaries and see how that plays.

Oh, last thing, It looks like Nintendo are now pushing for Mario 3DS to be released by the years end.

CitizenGeek said:
It maybe a gimmick, but at least Nintendo are doing something new every now and then

I'll pick up a 3DS, but only when I know it's price.

fabricatedlunatic said:
"We don't want you, our loyal (and a bit stupid) customers to regret buying our latest piece of overpriced gimmicky tat, so have twenty games... from our old consoles."

I'm guessing you're getting a PSV.

CitizenGeek said:
Writing off a console when you know nothing about it? Lol.

Maxon said:
I'll be getting a Vita and a 3DS, probably, but certainly not within the first year of their respective lifespans. When waiting means I get cheaper and possibly more reliable hardware, a more diverse range of software, and a chance to play the backlog of games on handhelds I already own, I don't see much benefit in being an early adopter.

Not bad. Free stuff is always good, plus I didn't pay much for my 3DS anyway; less than £190 for the console with Ridge Racer 3D. I doubt the price drop will take it much below that.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Shhh, 360 fanboys shouldn't try to bother fans of other consoles. People in glass houses and all that.

Congrats to Ninty for providing a wonderfully underwhelming "offer" for people who paid a chunk for the console, and also for cynically announcing this after they made sure people who were going to had bought one for Ocarina of Time. Also congrats on putting people off buying a WiiU before they announce a massive price cut.

fabricatedlunatic said:

To be fair, they didn't have to give away anything, especially since Retailers were cutting down the price of the 3DS by a vast amount. I got mine for £180 and... even though the lineup is disappointing, it is a pretty good kit.

The DS was pretty cool, but the 3DS is just pointless.

You could say the same for the PS1 to the PS2. Xbox to the Xbox 360. The Sega Master System to the Mega Drive.

The 3DS is a successor. Whether it will be any good is up to you, but it has its own line-up of games that cannot be played on a previous console and a new operating system that has many features.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Maxon said:
I'll be getting a Vita and a 3DS, probably, but certainly not within the first year of their respective lifespans. When waiting means I get cheaper and possibly more reliable hardware, a more diverse range of software, and a chance to play the backlog of games on handhelds I already own, I don't see much benefit in being an early adopter.
Some games do go out of print (like Ace Attorney games) so getting them quickly is better in my eyes.

I really want those GBA games since they are kinda hard to come by, but I'd rather wait for 3DS Lite. I like how Iwata took a 50% salary cut too for the price cut of the 3DS.

instead of making a new topic for the GBA games, i thought i'd just bring this one back up since it already mentions the 20 games. So anywho, here is the 10 games we're getting GBA wise with the ambassador program, and i think it should be on the 16th we get them alongside japan and Australia. If not, probably next week during our weekly Nintendo store update.

F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames

Yeah I saw this list announced elsewhere earlier. It's surprisingly solid TBH.

Metroid Fusion alone was one of my favourite games on the GBA so it'll be good to have another copy I can play on my 3DS. Wonder how it'll look!

I only ever bothered buying two of them, but I wanted pretty much all of them...awesome list!

I didn't even know there was a Wario Land 4 until now... -_-

Aaron said:
I only ever bothered buying two of them, but I wanted pretty much all of them...awesome list!

I didn't even know there was a Wario Land 4 until now... -_-

It's not the best in the series (too easy, alas) but terrific fun.

Sadly I have all those games (save the SNES version of Yoshi's Island, not the GBA one) except Kirby and Fire Emblem :(

But having them all in one place would be handy. Here's hoping The Minish Cap is the American version and not the bugged British release.

So... will I still be able to get these games even though I am yet to download the eShop update? Nintendo's method of determining whether you bought your console before the price drop or not seems a bit muddled, to me.

Back