I hate how Dickotek Media keeps licensing so many fantastic and cool stuff that I love and want but I can't any of them due to region codes and not owning a region free player. I am stuck with AL who licenses like 1 or 2 titles in a year that I want.

Last edited:
I hate how Dickotek Media keeps licensing so many fantastic and cool stuff that I love and wang but I can't any of them due to region codes and not owning a region free player. I am stuck with AL who licenses like 1 or 2 titles in a year that I want.

It's because of this that I finally decided to buy a multiregion blu ray player earlier this year. Best decision I've made! The trigger to buy this player was Dear Brother, a series that has a very short license and was added to the Last Chance items on Rightstuf.

Unfortunately it was too late for some series. If I made the decision a few months earlier I would have bought the final part (4) of March Comes in Like a Lion (which isn't region locked, but crazy expensive) together with a bunch of region locked titles to soften the shipment costs. Because I fell into the trap of waiting for AL to release the rest of that series I missed out on it and now it costs a minimum of 800 euros on eBay...

It's because of this that I finally decided to buy a multiregion blu ray player earlier this year. Best decision I've made! The trigger to buy this player was Dear Brother, a series that has a very short license and was added to the Last Chance items on Rightstuf.

Unfortunately it was too late for some series. If I made the decision a few months earlier I would have bought the final part (4) of March Comes in Like a Lion (which isn't region locked, but crazy expensive) together with a bunch of region locked titles to soften the shipment costs. Because I fell into the trap of waiting for AL to release the rest of that series I missed out on it and now it costs a minimum of 800 euros on eBay...
Yeah, a multiregion player is a must for UK anime fans, if your tastes extend beyond shows made in the last 15 years. Those who can subsist on a diet of Shonen Jump and isekai mulch are well catered for though.

I modded my two Oppo Blu-ray players with multi-region kits many years ago for the completely opposite reason - for the sole purpose of importing UK titles from Anime Limited to the US, and specifically for their Collector's Editions with digipaks, because we almost never get anime Blu-ray digipak sets here in the US. I have purchased some Region 4 anime DVDs from Australia as well, so the Oppo players work for those too, although I already owned a few older DVD players that are also multi-region.

Being in Region A for Blu-rays I don't actually need a multi-region player for Japanese or other Asian anime Blu-rays, so I have an 8-shelf media case almost completely full of just imported Japanese anime because of that - along with some Korean and Hong Kong releases, too.

So yes, having multi-region capabilities really opens up your options for buying anime from anywhere in the world, and should be an absolute must for all anime fans to have!

Last edited:
I haven't even watched their SFII Blu-ray yet 😭 Don't think I'll upgrade. Not really been impressed with anime at 4k, though that may be due to my setup/eyesight/some other variable.

I'll be ordering UY set 3 and Goku (more Kawajiri, MOREEEEE) as soon as UP list them. Nothing much else, I don't think.

Was hoping for Alcatraz Connection as that's conspicuously absent from Discotek's Lupin licenses, or even a re-releaese for Fuma Conspiracy. Oh wel, maybe next time.

The only issue I had was that the hyped up the finale to be something big and to be honest I don't consider Digimon Adventure 02 to be a massive deal as it was pretty evitable that this would be picked up sooner.

Discotek do like to hype up every set of announcements as something massive when, let's face it, they're almost always routine.

I can't see anything particularly exciting in this one. I'm thankful that they're dipping their toes into Mamoru Oshii with Nihon Nights, as that sub-label felt like a chance to finally get his (and Hideaki Anno's) live action works on Blu-Ray releases, but Tachigui is a bit meh. I dream of an upgrade to the old Bandai box set of The Red Spectacles / Stray Dog / Talking Head. Or even his relatively recent film, Nowhere Girl, that seemed to disappear off the face of the planet after its festival run a few years ago.

Nice to see Goku Midnight Eye and Crying Freeman, both of them having both dubs. Glad Discotek actually care about trying to get all of the dubs unlike some companys. Chance of either of them getting a UK release is a good 0.000001%.
Even if Crying Freeman got a release in the UK the bbfc will not pass it uncut because of the scenes of sexual violence that's it literally hardcore p***.

Which would be odd, as it passed BBFC when released on VHS way back in the day.
It was passed albeit with some cuts in the later episodes.

Here's what @NormanicGrav wrote about it in the Anime Nasties thread.

Crying Freeman

Released: 1988

Crying Freeman is also another franchise that has spawned multiple adaptations. The series focuses on a man who works as an assassin who sheds a tear after killing each of his targets. Based on the manga written by Kazuo Koike of Lone Wolf & Cub fame in 1986, the anime adaptation is 6 OVA episodes long and was released by distributor Manga Entertainment for the UK. Most of the episodes got through fine but the latter half of the series received a couple cuts (episode 4 with 3 seconds, episode 5 with 17 seconds, and episode 6 with 58 seconds). The cuts were related to scenes of sexual violence for the most part. Because the last two episodes were edited a fair bit, the distributor decided to release them in a single VHS cape rather than separately like the previous were.

Crying Freeman was rescued and licensed by North American distributor Discotek Media for an uncut DVD release, however they recently lost the license so it will soon be going out of print. The manga was also distributed by Dark Horse for anyone interested.

It was passed albeit with some cuts in the later episodes.

Here's what @NormanicGrav wrote about it in the Anime Nasties thread.

I never noticed when I owned them, fair enough, I think I may know the episode that was cut.

Why don't they make their releases Region Free? Their sales would skyrocket.

Every company wants their products to sell well so I can never understand why they restrict who can play them.

Why don't they make their releases Region Free? Their sales would skyrocket.

Every company wants their products to sell well so I can never understand why they restrict who can play them.
It's because of the restrictions imposed by the Japanese licensors. For the most part, the licensors won't allow for it, but exceptions have been made.

Can someone recommend a region free player to buy? I decided to finally cave in and buy one.
I have a Sony UBP-X700, which is good at its core function of playing discs, but sucks as a streaming device. It doesn't have many apps and the most recent firmware broke the Amazon Prime app. It's a decent option if you only want it for discs though, and plays UHD as well as BD. There are cheaper options if you don't need UHD support.

Back