The Euro in the UK

Would you like to see the Euro replace the Sterling as the currency of the United Kingdom?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Unsure

• Total voters

CitizenGeek

Guild Member
I've been wondering about this issue for a while. I'm pretty certain the majority of Britons are not in favour of the Euro, but I want to get AUKN's perspective.

Well, I'll start us off with a nice neutral "I really don't give a damn." I really don't understand all these people who are rabidly pro or anti-euro.

Pro: might (slowly) bring prices in line with the rest of Europe (ie: cheaper)

Con: We don't get to set our own interest rates, which could be a problem for our economy.

Here's a link to help anyone who wants to make an informed post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro#Economics_of_the_euro

Definatly not. I wanna stay with Sterling.

(And no its cause im scared of changing, I just like having our own currency)

I'd be happy to take the Euro here. Less hassle when traveling and buying internationally and seems to have worked well on the mainland, in a day to day sense.

R

Honestly... I don't care. If it makes things cheaper and makes it easier when going abroad/buying from europe then great, its just coinage though so I never understand the whole "omg nooo we must keep pound coins they identify the UK" stuff.

Rui said:
I'd be happy to take the Euro here. Less hassle when traveling and buying internationally
Though I usually find I'm paying in Dollars or Yen! Can we have a Britain / America / Japan single currency instead?

ayase said:
Rui said:
I'd be happy to take the Euro here. Less hassle when traveling and buying internationally
Though I usually find I'm paying in Dollars or Yen! Can we have a Britain / America / Japan single currency instead?

lol, but it is cheaper for us to buy from US ^_^

If the Euro took over the £, then it'll be something I'll have to get used to. But I really do prefer the £, as I've used it all my life and it's a British-defining attribute.

In a land of Multiculturalism where boundries and differences are becoming vague, it's one of the fewer things left that Britain has that defines itself.

ayase said:

One step at a time...:)

I'd love to see a more global economic system before I die.

R

Chaz said:
In a land of Multiculturalism where boundries and differences are becoming vague,
Not to send us off topic, but isn't that a good thing? I consider myself an individual, and a member of things I choose to be part of (AUKN, for example :wink: ) rather than having any particular aspect of myself define me (British, White, etc.)

I think that's the way the world is going, towards one society made up of individuals rather than several groups who cling to one-another for identity's sake and nothing more. The internet is playing a big part in it.

Deidara said:
Keep the Pounds, I say. It makes us unique ^^. Along with Tea.

Tea being another famous import we received thanks to trade with the rest of the world.

R

Rui said:
Deidara said:
Keep the Pounds, I say. It makes us unique ^^. Along with Tea.

Tea being another famous import we received thanks to trade with the rest of the world.

R

This is probably going to be a QI type question but we did get the Tea from China didn't we?

Anyway i would like to keep the £ just because like Chaz said i've been using it all my life, and its our money system, same as america have their dollar but if we were told we had to use the Euro then i would just get on with it

Rui said:
...Less hassle when traveling...
I actually like having to change money when going away as it’s fun and part of the holiday experience. Plus it’s easier to spend your cash when it’s unfamiliar. I reckon that if we had the Euro we’d all be a lot more frugal when on holiday, especially if things are a bit dearer than at home. We’d be all going “how much?!! For an ice cream?! I’ll go without at that priceâ€

I'm unsure. Taking on the Euro would make life a hella lot easier however being a prud UK citizen I'm enclined to want to keep the pound. Don't get me wrong, the euro would make sense liek but I would really miss our good old sterling if it changed.

ayase said:
Chaz said:
In a land of Multiculturalism where boundries and differences are becoming vague,
Not to send us off topic, but isn't that a good thing? I consider myself an individual, and a member of things I choose to be part of (AUKN, for example :wink: ) rather than having any particular aspect of myself define me (British, White, etc.)

I think that's the way the world is going, towards one society made up of individuals rather than several groups who cling to one-another for identity's sake and nothing more. The internet is playing a big part in it.
Hey, dont get me wrong, Ayase. I'm not a nationalist, but it's like you've said, I want to be part of a variety but I also want my individuality.

It's like owning some grassland territory and inviting others to use it at free will. However, if you didn't want anything actually changing the fields (dug-up, painted on, tarmacced, etc.), and somone wants to play club-status football on it, you'd feel like what you had before will change and you'd be against it.
However, if they played football without painting lines and using cones for goals etc, nothing would change the fields so it should be acceptable.

Think of the territory as the British economy, and the grass as the currency. I'd be ok if the Euro (the activity, football) was used in the UK, as long as it didn't mess up the economy. But when they want to replace the pound entirely, I'd feel like someone's invading my individuality, changing how I'm used to pay for things.

We're suppose to invite things/people into the country/"club" and send things out of it. But being forced into joining another "club's" activities in our own back yard doesn't sit well with me.

Change it, would make travelling/business easier in europe. We'd lose some control of our economy, but going by current performance I think that's not going to be such a bad thing.
Can't really think of any reason to keep the pound other than the hassle of switching. Since the government'd probably mess that up.

Chaz said:
ayase said:
Chaz said:

Hey, dont get me wrong, Ayase. I'm not a nationalist, but it's like you've said, I want to be part of a variety but I also want my individuality.

It's like owning some grassland territory and inviting others to use it at free will. However, if you didn't want anything actually changing the fields (dug-up, painted on, tarmacced, etc.), and somone wants to play club-status football on it, you'd feel like what you had before will change and you'd be against it.
However, if they played football without painting lines and using cones for goals etc, nothing would change the fields so it should be acceptable.

Think of the territory as the British economy, and the grass as the currency. I'd be ok if the Euro (the activity, football) was used in the UK, as long as it didn't mess up the economy. But when they want to replace the pound entirely, I'd feel like someone's invading my individuality, changing how I'm used to pay for things.

We're suppose to invite things/people into the country/"club" and send things out of it. But being forced into joining another "club's" activities in our own back yard doesn't sit well with me.

Interesting points there - I know you're not being Xenophobic Chaz, what you are saying is that people see aspects of their own percived identity as "theirs" (Currency, Flag, etc.) But that's actually something you have decided for yourself to claim an interest in - different to the land in your example, something which really does belong to you and you alone.

Not everybody views the same things as part of their identity.

Back