The Gaming News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)

Sonic Superstars and Sand Land were some really nice surprises, really looking forward to those two.
Sand Land does look promising. It's just startling to me that a game announced in 2023 with no release year is going to be cross gen. A handful of high profile exceptions aside, it feels like we're now in a DVD/BD situation where the new hardware will never replace the old completely. Except in the case of gaming it's like saying that the mere continued existence of DVD means the CG effects on BDs can never look better than it did in the 80s.

Cross gen is definitely getting to a point where it's becoming annoying for all the concessions that are probably made to be able to release on such old hardware, but cashmoney is cashmoney, I guess.

So as a whole, the show was a bit of a bore, despite having some good reveals. Alan Wake didn't have an incredible showing but I have no doubt it'll be quality. Graphically it looks pretty impressive.

Shadows of the Damned yaaaasss. If you didn't play that, it's very reminiscent of RE4 as far as the shooting is concerned. I wonder if a sequel is in the works.

You guys watch the leaked video of Persona 3 Reload? Basically P5 only 3, Day 1.

And yeah, the highlight was definitely Rebirth. Nomura-sama delivering the goods! Dual battle techs 🤤 wide-open areas 🤤 story teases 🤤 ready for that ride!

Not sure how true this is as I've only seen this one tweet, but looks like PS4 version on Honkai Star Rail is cancelled and PS5 launches in Q4 2023. Way later than anybody expected 😱

Screenshot_20230608_214241_Twitter.jpg

You guys watch the leaked video of Persona 3 Reload? Basically P5 only 3, Day 1.
I'm glad it's being made in Unreal Engine. Unity didn't do Soul Hackers 2 any favours.

I'm reserving judgement on this one until we get some idea of whether they've done anything to improve the dungeon design. P3's dungeons were hundreds of floors of tedious empty corridors and empty rooms, and that was one of the reasons I never finished the game.

I'm glad it's being made in Unreal Engine. Unity didn't do Soul Hackers 2 any favours.

I'm reserving judgement on this one until we get some idea of whether they've done anything to improve the dungeon design. P3's dungeons were hundreds of floors of tedious empty corridors and empty rooms, and that was one of the reasons I never finished the game.

I'm very close to getting Soul Hackers 2 actually! There's no doubt UE is an amazing engine, I'm happy even more japanese developers started using it, most of all Atlus. Maybe it'll expedite their production pipeline, seeing how easy it's supposed to be developing with it.

That's an undeniable criticism of the original game. Of all the memories I have of it, the dungeons themselves are but a blur, everything was the same, yeah. I devoured it anyway because my hype was really at critical levels when 3 launched. They made it much better in 4 and even more so in 5. If they got a theme for each series of floors in 3, it would be amazing.

I wouldn't be too keen on games using Unreal Engine, of the recent ones released I think about 90% of them have had shader stutter compilation issues. As it is I basically would avoid any new UE game until I see in-depth reviews to see if it suffers from the shader stutter.

I wouldn't be too keen on games using Unreal Engine, of the recent ones released I think about 90% of them have had shader stutter compilation issues. As it is I basically would avoid any new UE game until I see in-depth reviews to see if it suffers from the shader stutter.
Isn't that just on PC?

It really is quite shocking the state PC games have been allowed to get into in recent years.
It's all these UE 4 games that started development years ago starting to release around the same period of time and all suffering from the same engine related issues. UE 4 is heavily restricted by single core CPU performance, so it doesn't matter if you have a 16 core or 4 core CPU, the performance is restricted by the Ghz of one of the cores instead of using proper multi threading. Also it sucks at shader compilation and so any games using it have stutters all over the time in your first play through of the game.

On the other hand games that use other game engines have released without the same issues.

Pretty decent showcase for Xbox, only 5 games I'm interested in picking up but some stuff I may keep an eye on. I'd already seen the trailers for P3R and P5T beforehand, they would had been a nice surprise if not leaked (though P3R had been rumoured for ages). Nice to finally see Project Re Fantasy now titled Metaphor: ReFantazio, looks brilliant, can't wait for that. Like A Dragon looks as silly as ever, really need to get through the series, still need to get back to Ishin! which I got at launch. Capcom's new game, Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess I'm very interested in as well, thought it was going to be a new Onimusha game at first.

Pretty decent showcase for Xbox, only 5 games I'm interested in picking up but some stuff I may keep an eye on. I'd already seen the trailers for P3R and P5T beforehand, they would had been a nice surprise if not leaked (though P3R had been rumoured for ages). Nice to finally see Project Re Fantasy now titled Metaphor: ReFantazio, looks brilliant, can't wait for that. Like A Dragon looks as silly as ever, really need to get through the series, still need to get back to Ishin! which I got at launch. Capcom's new game, Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess I'm very interested in as well, thought it was going to be a new Onimusha game at first.
Xbox showcase was probably the best of the 3 events (so far) Fable being a cinematic trailer was a disappointment and way too human like. Kinda makes it feel like a different game but it's Fable so I'll play it.
Avowed look.... "interesting" 🤔
I'm all in on P3 remake (bit of a shame its a completely new voice cast)
Like A Dragon 8 was the stand out for me! Kinda scared it might lose some of the charm if it's set in America(?) I got that impression from the trailer and could totally see them doing Hawaii.
Guess we'll find out at the RGG showcase.

Obviously Starfield looks good but as with ANY Bethesda game I expect it to come in hot & buggy. Sure I'll still enjoy it though haha

Not sure what to think of the Fable trailer, it definitely contained no gameplay despite their claims. Also the description of the trailer says you get to choose the type of hero you want to be, that implies that being a villain is not an option unlike past games?

They've also completely abandoned the unique art style for some attempt at realism. With the art style change and other stuff this really could be any fantasy game instead of Fable with some fairy tales mixed in.

Not sure what to think of the Fable trailer, it definitely contained no gameplay despite their claims. Also the description of the trailer says you get to choose the type of hero you want to be, that implies that being a villain is not an option unlike past games?

They've also completely abandoned the unique art style for some attempt at realism. With the art style change and other stuff this really could be any fantasy game instead of Fable with some fairy tales mixed in.
Yeah this is kinda the feeling I was getting.
I mean I'm not passing any judgement until I play it or at least see actual gameplay but at this point it kinda feels like they just slapped the Fable name on a different game 🤷‍♂️

SoulCalibur V + DLC is being removed from digital stores June 19th. The most notable DLC to get would be the character Dampierre, the rest of the DLC is music tracks, costumes and accessories.

In other news it was nice to see Capcom announce the Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy during last night's showcase, saving the titles from the 3DS eShop as well as announcing an offline version of Mega Man X DiVE, great for preservation (plus available on Steam), wish more mobile games would do that.

For anyone on the fence about buying Final Fantasy XVI at launch, here's Digital Foundry's verdict on how it performs:

Short version: quality mode offers a solid 30fps and generally excellent visuals, performance mode makes significant cuts to visual quality and can't maintain a solid 60fps outside combat (it apparently takes some drastic steps to hit a locked 60 in combat). Most impressively for a modern AAA game, it seems to have launched in a generally bug-free state. It just looks like performance mode has room for improvement.

For anyone on the fence about buying Final Fantasy XVI at launch, here's Digital Foundry's verdict on how it performs:

Short version: quality mode offers a solid 30fps and generally excellent visuals, performance mode makes significant cuts to visual quality and can't maintain a solid 60fps outside combat (it apparently takes some drastic steps to hit a locked 60 in combat). Most impressively for a modern AAA game, it seems to have launched in a generally bug-free state. It just looks like performance mode has room for improvement.
Might be the first game I play in quality mode I guess

Might be the first game I play in quality mode I guess

Can't believe I'm saying this, but same.

The fact that cutscenes and even mid-battle cinematics automatically shift to 30 makes it more jarring. But.... 60 fps 😢

Will listen to that video, wanna go light on the visual spoilers!

Only getting my copy tomorrow fuuuuc

Back