The Harm Principle

CitizenGeek

Guild Member
So I've been involved with the debating society in my college a lot lately and I've grown very fond of the British parliamentary style of debating. Basically, it's 2 proposition teams, 2 opposition teams, each composed of two debaters, who each deliver a 7-minute speech. It's great fun! :p

Anyways, in the spirit of debate, I thought I'd try to get a discussion going on a fairly broad topic. Also, in the spirit of British parliamentary debating, I'll give the motion:

This House Believes That the State should only Intervene in the Affairs of the People Whenever Their Lives and Livelihoods are Threatened

Basically, the government has no place in any other aspect of our lives except in terms of protecting us from eachother (and maybe foreign invaders too).

Any takers? I like the State and I think the role of government is important, so I'll be speaking from the opposition. I know ayase and some others harbour some anarchist-ish ideas, so it could be interesting :]

I'll might add more to this later but I definitely agree. In fact I would go so far to say that in regards to that motion our country has gone backwards. A country's advanced development should be measured by the extent to which it spends on non commercial concepts. By this I mean, art, research for no benefit other than just to know which could be in any subject, poetry. etc... Such things can only be achieved when people have a suitable amount of freedom to enable creativity and free time to pursue such hobbies which means the government must not interfere in peoples lives.

When the government gives freedom to the people it is on the path to working for the people again rather than for itself. I think the government should not only be there to protect the people though but also should provide key services for the people - services meaning that they are not necessarily for profit but may subsidised by tax money. Such beneficial services are health care, fire departments, police, basic postal service, transport maintenance (eg roads), education. These sort of things are beneficial to the population as a whole and help towards freedom.

SciFiBoy said:
how does one define "harm"
Indeed, this is a notion that would need to be agreed upon by all parties.

(I myself would even go so far as to request a definition of "should", but this is a meta-ethical matter that most would probably overlook.)

As for the matter being proposed, one must ask whether the provision of social goods is a case of preventing "harm", however such a term is being defined. The intuitions of many will favour social goods being provided by the government within appropriate limits, and such people would either need to deny that the provision of social goods is an act of governmental intervention, or else reject the original proposal.

Of course, if one admits that social goods are to be expected from a government, then further clarification regarding the manner of the goods' distribution needs to be made. That is, however, a different matter from the one at hand.

My definition of self harm which perhaps should have interference is suicidal. Since I do not believe in an afterlife I believe our only time is now and you should not throw it away. Having said that I'm not against euthanasia so perhaps an assessment should be made to ensure that such an act is the individuals own desire and that such an individual is in a right state of mind.

A modern day example is smoking perhaps. They are doing everything to force people to stop smoking short of banning it completely with the idea being they are saving your life (and future health costs). The NHS should provide help if people wish to quit but people who want to smoke should freely be allowed. No smoking in pubs is a great idea for a non smoker but you then forget the smoker who just enjoyed going in, chatting, having a couple of pints and relaxing with a smoke (note I am a non smoker and never have smoked). Linking to my previous post, the environment described above can bring about creativity.

Hmm, this can get complicated depending on the situation...

I like the idead that if actions are to take place for an individual that only effect the individual mentioned, it is the responsibility of only that said person to look after themselves. However, there may come times when the individual themselves desire to take responsibility and perform an action of which they on their own cannot achieve.
For example, the elderly (especially 80+ y.o.) who cant make it to the park and sit down in the sun. They will require either something of transport (of which they then become responsible individually again when buying a motor-buggy) or they would need someone to assist them , like NHS home care.

If the said person requires help beyond their capabilities and have asked for assistance from a third party, then an agreement should be made by them. If it is a service of other individuals (rather than a company or government), the the responsibility lies with the original person in accepting someone's help. (Of course, any criminal acts of purposeful harm etc would then have responsibility placed on the suspect.)
If the assisting body is of a larger base, then they should have a formal agreement set, as they are servicing the individual as a "customer" and doing so must take precautions for their safety etc. That way, any breaches would then be officially dealt with the public ideal as a community (i.e. government legislation).

Suicidal or self-harm issues would therefore also be dealt by the individual rather than other people. In most circumstances, the rational mind would recognise the type of damage they will or have already sustained, and if they have no more means of functioning as a whole, then they should be the ones that make the decision.
However, someone who is "mentallly disabled" should at least be given help if signs of these acts are protrayed, as it may be, for example, suffocating for an individual that has limited learning capabilities, but doesn't understand there are other options. After the options are given, the responsibility should retreat back to the individual.

Euthanasia or other assisted issues should always have a 3rd party involved, as they can not judge, but record whether the person asking for assistance is indeed free for choice or in rational mind. The system/process would then judge the act and not the 3rd party member or the assistant.

I do like the idea that 'one's own self is their own sovereignty' and what they do to themselves is their own business. As a society, we should help others achieve and protect one another, but not restrict each other. When an imminent threat has occured (foreign or residential), we as individuals and society member should help in our own ways to "the Greater Good." That's not to say the government should force every man/woman/child into a draft and fight.

I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of "what if's" and "fine print loop-holes" in the mix, but that's the general conception of my ideals.

On a lighter note: We all know what happens with choices, individual or not. Try playing the Fable/Mass Effect style games and you will find this out better.

CitizenGeek said:
Anyways, in the spirit of debate, I thought I'd try to get a discussion going on a fairly broad topic. Also, in the spirit of British parliamentary debating, I'll give the motion:

This House Believes That the State should only Intervene in the Affairs of the People Whenever Their Lives and Livelihoods are Threatened

Basically, the government has no place in any other aspect of our lives except in terms of protecting us from eachother (and maybe foreign invaders too).

Any takers? I like the State and I think the role of government is important, so I'll be speaking from the opposition. I know ayase and some others harbour some anarchist-ish ideas, so it could be interesting :]
Well, 'tis the season, I'll bite. ;)

The statement posited is one which lies at the core of classical liberal and libertarian principles - That humans should be responsible for themselves but not free to exercise power or control over others, and that is when the state is required to intervene. It is one which I largely agree with. I would argue that not only does the state currently fail to prevent people from harm and exploitation at the hands of those more wealthy or powerful, but that the increasing responsibility (and therefore power) taken from citizens and placed in the hands of the state has been a major factor in several problems facing Britain today. I'm happy to discuss other areas as well, but will start with a very current issue, that of the economy.

State intervention our economy has destroyed our manual labour market and decimated the working class. Many have been abandoned as a new underclass who merely exist, feeling unvalued and unable to pursue their callings in the modern world. These people's livelihoods have not only been threatened, they have been destroyed. Why does a manufacturing business in Britain shut down? Because they cannot compete with other countries. They cannot compete because of the high wages guaranteed by the state, however no-one would deny that the minimum wage is indeed the minimum required to survive in this country.

But why should that be? Why should someone in the UK require ten times or more money to live as someone in another part of the world? Our reliance on imported food is one answer (which has come about for the same reasons of being unprofitable). The largest is housing. The planning committees of councils across Britain are glaring examples of state corruption in the interests of business and the state itself. In areas where land is plentiful and need for housing is great, a dozen homes are packed into single acres of land one step at a time over many years, making sure demand always outstrips supply and ensuring that the price of the land and of homes remains high. This is very good for the banks who ensnare people in debt with large mortgages (which they conjure up from nowhere, as due to partial reserve lending they do not even have the money themselves). It is also very good for the government, who receive stamp duty for every house bought but also get a nice injection of cash into the economy every time one is sold.

Imagine the country as it is today with no minimum wage; it's an unappealing prospect. But imagine there were no planning laws either, that anyone could build on their own land whatever they wished. The price of housing would begin to fall. The cost of living would begin to fall. Unemployed people who feel hopeless could work at manual jobs again and live for less, the country could compete again in the world. State control of the economy has had one effect - to move all growth to the financial markets and service sector. I am from a working class background, I know people who have no desire to work in these fields despite the government pushing them as a golden ticket out of unemployment. Unlike some more right-wing libertarians I don't blame the individuals for the perpetually unemployed; I blame the state. Relying on the tertiary sector for jobs and growth makes the country richer, but it does not make us economically secure or make the people happier.

Its a nice idea but the selfishness of the individual makes it impossible.

"Oh no, I've done something stupid and its really my fault but I expect someone else to get me out of trouble".

It would be easier if the actions of the individual really had no effect on others but this is not the case. The NHS can't say 'you smoked, you got ill, your problem'. Under actual proper real human rights the state is under some obligation to help you. So the actions of the one have now become the problems of the many.

Why does a manufacturing business in Britain shut down? Because they cannot compete with other countries. They cannot compete because of the high wages guaranteed by the state,

I'd argue agaist this. I work in a manufacturing based sector and we've been growing year on year even with the recession. The biggest damage was done to the manufacturing sector by the unions IMO. Crap products made badly by overpaid workers. We let others countries take over and now we cannot get it back.

A lack of minimum wage or planning laws would not help. House prices are sky high as 1) the banks would lend to ANYONE and 2) the sellers demanded stupid prices. People think 'Oh look, I can make this much money selling my house'. They think that there is an endless supply of new money in the system. No understanding of how money really works. The same goes for the 'no win no fee' claims. The money has to come from somewhere.

But again its all down to the selfishness of the individual and the belief that they are entitled to something which they are not.

Back