The Hobbit director announced

LukasROAR

Straw Hat Pirate
The director to The Hobbit has finally be settled. It has now been confirmed that Peter Jackson will ONLY exec produce and the director is in fact Guillermo Del Torro (Blade 2, Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth)

Del Torro will direct both The Hobbit and another film based on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien for New Line Cinema and MGM.

Personally i'm still gutted Jackson isn't doing it but glad that he'll be involved quite heavily as executive producer. I don't mind Del Torro's work i just don't think he's amazing, but then again i didn't think much of Jackson pre LotR.
I think his obvious stand out film would be Pan's Labyrinth which proves he can work well with fantasy. Let's hope this turns out as amazing as the book is.

Quite a lot but I guess I'm just not as easily impressed as some.

I read the Hobbit when I was younger and it was a decent book.

LukasROAR said:
Sy said:
I just hope it isn't as boring as the Lord of the Rings movies.

Lol what on earth does please you?

The lord of the rings films I found to be average in all. The best 'film' is the first one. The second two have great battle scenes but everything else is boring as hell. The overuse of CGI does cripple it a bit, as does Jackson turning things into a comedy at times when not ever needed. However the real killer is that LOTR has some of the worst acting I have ever seen in my life. All the hobbits are Diabolical, as is Legolas (But Bloom can't act, the hobbit actors can) and there are quite a few other poor performances, scattered about the great ones (Aragorn)

As for the new director, Pan's labrynth was my fave 'film' (as opposed to anime) of 2007, so I have high hopes. Personally Jackson would have done better with the lightweight Hobbit and Del Torro do the dark LOTR, but we can't have everything... :p

Lets hope he cuts a lot of the book out and makes it into ONE film, Lord of the Rings was ok but I'd never watch it a 3rd time as it is essentially one long film cut into 3 parts

I've read the Hobbit more times than any other book so far. One of the first I ever read too (propper book wise). I'm a bit warey at how this is going to turn out coz I have great expectations for it. I reckon Del Toro will do a good job like, well at least I hope. Loved his work in Pan's Labyrinth. Like McIcy, I hope they just make one awesome film, really can't be arsed with a two parter, three parts would be taking the piss but that's very unlikey as it's only based on the one book. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I think Del Torro will do a good job with the films...still not sold on the idea to make two films out of it like, but i'll wait and see on that, i just hope that Del Torro will find a way to do his adaption of 'At the Mountains of Madness' first, the H.P Lovecraft stories deserve a good film :twisted:

Looks like it could be good Del Torro should do a good job.

The main thing I did not like about LOTR was that Tolkien had some great epic speaches and they just left them out of the films. The biggest crime was that they had Christopher Lee and Ian Mckellen two great actors yet completely left out the "Sauraman of many colours back and forth". Also I was unhappy at leaving out going back to find The Shire destroyed, and regrowing it from the seed. Which they replaced with a stupid happy ending which never happened in the book.

Dracos said:
Looks like it could be good Del Torro should do a good job.

The main thing I did not like about LOTR was that Tolkien had some great epic speaches and they just left them out of the films. The biggest crime was that they had Christopher Lee and Ian Mckellen two great actors yet completely left out the "Sauraman of many colours back and forth". Also I was unhappy at leaving out going back to find The Shire destroyed, and regrowing it from the seed. Which they replaced with a stupid happy ending which never happened in the book.

Aye me too, i was soooo gutted they left out the scouring of the shire and i still don't understand why.

Back