The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

The somewhat dumb nature of that ANN article is saved by the comment "Thank goodness there were no Borutos".

NormanicGrav said:
12 Days of Seven Seas Manga Xmas Announcements - Day 6

Please tell me! GALKO-chan (Oshiete! Galko-chan)
Not surprising, given the upcoming anime, but still excellent.

Continuing the story on Madoka, a low quality (but watchable) camrip of the trailer has surfaced.

http://sendvid.com/nlv9tdon

Someone on 4Chan translated the trailer line by line. Of course, I have no idea how accurate this is but it's better than nothing.

[spoilerbutton]まどか&ほむら「幸せって、何かしら。」
Madoka and Homura: I wonder what ‘happiness’ is.
まどか「それは、5月の麗らかな陽射し。」
Madoka: It is the bright sunbeams of May.
ほむら「それは、温かな家族。」
Homura: It is a warm family.
まどか「それは、朝ご飯の目玉焼き。」
Madoka: It is sunny-side up eggs for breakfast.
まどか&ほむら「けれど、そのどれもが天国にはないものです。」
Madoka and Homura: But Heaven has none of those things.
まどか&ほむら「幸せって、何かしら。」
Madoka and Homura: I wonder what ‘happiness’ is.
ほむら「それは、誰かに名前を呼ばれること。」
Homura: It is having your name called by someone.
まどか「それは、誰かの名前を呼ぶこと。」
Madoka: It is calling someone’s name.
ほむら「それは、誰かが自分を想ってくれること。」
Homura: It is someone thinking about you.
まどか&ほむら「それはなにひとつ、神様にはないものでした。」
Madoka and Homura: The Goddess had none of those things.
ほむら「トカゲの女の子は、神様のことがとてもかわいそうに思えてきました。」
Homura: A lizard-girl could not help but take pity on the Goddess.
まどか「こうしてトカゲの女の子は神様をまっぷたつに引き裂いて、その片方を天国から地上へと連れ去ってしまったのです。」
Madoka: And still thinking that, the lizard-girl split the Goddess into two equal halves, and kidnapped one of those halves, taking her from Heaven to the surface of the earth.
ほむら「その残酷なまでに優しい輝き、闇の中で出逢うには……まぶしすぎる。」
Homura: And until that cruelty, that gentle radiance, when it was met in the darkness…was too dazzling.
A「最近猫が多いね。」
A: Lately there’s been a lot of cats around, huh?
B「死んだ猫が混じっているんだって。」
B: They’re mixed in with dead cats.
A「死んだ猫はどうやって見分けるの?」
A: How can you tell they’re dead?
杏子「あたしが許せねえのはな、そういう訳の分かんねえ理由で他人にヤッパを向けるやつだよ。」
Kyoko: I can’t allow this. That person would definitely would turn to someone else in situations like this with unexplained causes. [not sure on this]
さやか「嘘でしょ、どういうこと。なんであたしにこの文字が読めるの?」
Sayaka: That’s impossible, isn’t it? How can this be? Why can I read these characters?
仁美「それはきっと、口止めされているんですわ。魔法のご利益って内緒にしておかないと、効き目が消えてしまうものでしょう。」
Hitomi: I’m they’ve been forbidden to talk about it. If the benefits of magic aren’t kept a secret, perhaps its effects will disappear.
なぎさ「これは何やら陰謀の臭いがするのです。」
Nagisa: For some reason this smells [suspiciously] like a conspiracy.
キュゥべえ「どうして僕が? それこそ、何のメリットもないじゃないか。」
Kyubey: Why am I [here?]?…isn’t there no benefit to this whatsoever?
マミ「あなたもあなたで、誰と一緒の時も隠し事ばっかりね。」
Mami: You too keep secrets from yourself and from whoever you’re with, don’t you? [unsure on this one too]
ほむら「私の邪魔をしようっていうの?」
Homura: Are you saying you intend to get in my way?[/spoilerbutton]

I was more impressed with the concept video than I thought I would be. Would definitely like to see a new Madoka project.

EDIT: ANN has reported on the Newtype leak from yesterday.

12 Days of Seven Seas Manga Xmas Announcements - Day 7

Version_1_cover.jpg

Monster Girl Encyclopedia
Original source material: Yes

Seven Seas will release the book in hardcover, uncut and uncensored shrinkwrapped for September 20th 2016.

Monogatari's Koyomimonogatari arc will be streaming on January 9th, the day after Kizumonogatari Part 1 is released in theaters.

By streaming it's done via an exclusive Japanese app.

New episodes will be released on Saturdays' Midnight (JST), converting to GMT: Fridays' 15:00.

The events of Koyomimonogatari are required to be seen in order to witness the last novel of Owarimonogatari (hence why only the first two novels were adapted). Koyomimonogatari is set between Tsukimonogatari and Owarimonogatari. The novel is composed of several short stories (12 mini-arcs overall).

Once Koyomi finishes, that leaves Shaft with Owari Novel 3 and Zoku Owari (in addition to Kizu Parts 2 & 3). As for Next Season, I guess they could save that until there's enough content.

NormanicGrav said:
The events of Koyomimonogatari are required to be seen in order to witness the last novel of Owarimonogatari (hence why only the first two novels were adapted).
Thanks for that bit of info, I had been wondering about that. It's looks like Shaft will be going full steam ahead on Monogatari for a good while yet, and I couldn't be happier about it.

New details on Danganronpa 3:
■ Originally, they were going to make an anime of Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair.
■ They wanted to create something that would involve Class Trials, but because it would be too painful for the students of Hope’s Peak Academy to kill each other again, they decided to conclude with an anime.
■ The anime immediately follows Danganronpa 2.
■ There will be developments you wouldn’t imagine, as well as many new characters.
■ They believe this story can only be told through anime.
■ If they made a game instead of an anime, they might not have been able to do the serious things they planned for the anime.
■ Although there aren’t any investigation elements, there will be suspense.
■ Working on two projects at the same time is difficult, but they’re doing it without compromise because such opportunities don’t appear too often.

This new Danganronpa Anime sounds great. They make a good point, there is only so much you can centre around class trials. To continue the story properly you'd have to drop that element which would completely undermine the game. I truley believe an Anime is the best way to continue the story.

Hmm, seems like a screw you to anime fans. But I did hear an interesting theory that some financiers had started to deliberately make their anime suffer in order to sell more of the source material, so maybe this is one of those scenarios.

As an aside is that Kazutaka Kadoka guy directing the anime or the video game? I was hoping for Seiji Kishi (which would likely give it a summer premiere)

In manga news (from 5 days ago), Viz have changed the rating of Platinum End from T+ to M, and have now restricted it to Kindle, nook and their own site (but it's not readable on their app "due to vendor restrictions"). Platinum End is also the only manga series to be given a separate Parental Advisory warning on the Shonen Jump site. Can't help but feel this is going to backfire on them spectacularly, although it speaks volumes that none of the usual sites have picked up on the change...

Although I am going to have to buy it now, just see what the hell is in chapter 2 that caused them to go to such extreme lengths.

I'm going to spoiler this just in case anyone is hyper sensitive but you guys saying they should have adapted 2 should probably know something. This is a vague spoiler for 2.

In terms of relation to the plot of the first game/anime, the second game actually does very little to further the plot started in Dangan 1. Only the last hour or so gives you continuation of the story, most of it is irrelevant to the first game in the grand scheme of things. If they do the show right, they could probably cover the events of Dangan 2 in a few lines of dialogue, meaning playing 2 is optional.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm quite excited about the Danganronpa news. Ultimately a different plot means double the Danganronpa with the new game and the anime so I cannot complain :D

Buzz201 said:
In manga news (from 5 days ago), Viz have changed the rating of Platinum End from T+ to M, and have now restricted it to Kindle, nook and their own site (but it's not readable on their app "due to vendor restrictions"). Platinum End is also the only manga series to be given a separate Parental Advisory warning on the Shonen Jump site. Can't help but feel this is going to backfire on them spectacularly, although it speaks volumes that none of the usual sites have picked up on the change...

Although I am going to have to buy it now, just see what the hell is in chapter 2 that caused them to go to such extreme lengths.

Ian's review on the site (posted today) looks at this particular aspect if it helps :)

R

Buzz201 said:
Rui said:
Ian's review on the site (posted today) looks at this particular aspect if it helps :)

R

It was very helpful, and Ian's reviews are always great.

Is it wrong that I kind of want to read it more now? :p
Nope, what I find kind of wrong is Viz are charging for it seperately when their other SJ monthly simulpubs are covered in their SJ subscription.

sniper_samurai said:
Nope, what I find kind of wrong is Viz are charging for it seperately when their other SJ monthly simulpubs are covered in their SJ subscription.

They can't sell it on iTunes or iDevices because of the M rated content, I don't think they would've been able to include it in WSJ after the first chapter anyway. That's what surprised me about it, pulling it from Google Play, iBooks and the Viz Manga app is a huge step that basically cuts off all the big revenue sources...

But, I would imagine they tried, but were told by the Japanese publisher or the artist/writer they had to sell it separately.

I guess that if they knew in advance it would be getting saucier very quickly, the SJ editors might have wanted to distance it from their main brand. I know there are a few sexy elements in SJ already but this is enough to make it hard to sell on certain platforms then it's presumably crossed some kind of line. SJ probably skews slightly younger even if most of the readers would probably like both kinds of story. Losing it on their own app is annoying though.

If you're a bad person for being more interested in the new chapter now, Buzz201, then I am too :D

R

It surprises me that CR hasn't pulled anything from it's iOS app, given Apple are not exactly clear about what is and isn't acceptable, and will pull anything they don't approve of. Although, comic book companies seem way more jumpy about iOS than other companies for some reason.

Back