The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Nozomi Entertainment start a new label, Lucky Penny, which henceforth will be the home of vanilla releases, while the deluxe LE boxset titles will come via Nozomi Entertainment.

The first three titles licenced for Lucky Penny are...

Ristorante Paradiso Autumn 2012
Hyakko 2013
and Aoi Hana 2013

Three titles that I have wanted badly on DVD ever since I watched them on Crunchyroll, and wanted even more desperately once they were taken off CR.

I'm happy dancing right now.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hUQX2B67KL4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hUQX2B67KL4?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

EDIT: If Manga are smart, they'll want to avoid the Durarara!! debacle, and delay Blue Exorcist until the dub comes. It will tee off the eager beavers who want it yesterday, but it will maximise their sales in the long run.

Baccano Blu-ray to get a re-release in the US

EDIT: Baccano! has a ! in the title which screws the Url up, so cutting and pasting the post...

15:44:45 <bay> Baccano complete blu-ray set
15:44:50 <bay> back by popular demand
15:44:59 <bay> coming 7/31/12
15:45:04 <bay> preorders start july 2nd
15:45:10 <bay> jp and en audio and subtitles
15:45:11 <bay> all 16 eps
15:45:17 <bay> (missed one detail)

Just Passing Through said:
The first three titles licenced for Lucky Penny are...

Hyakko 2013
and Aoi Hana 2013

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3ALwKeSEYs?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P3ALwKeSEYs?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

From what was mentioned at Expo, it seems that the determining factor on what gets the deluxe and the bare-bones treatment comes down to the materials available from Japan, not just what the distro wants to do with the property. If they are only getting the episodes and nothing else, no artbooks or the like, there's not much point in a fancy boxset.

And Manga have stated on Twitter that sub only Blue Exorcist is a go!

No delays. No dub.

EDIT: To clarify, no delaying for a dub. They've said previously that they may re-release a dub version later.

If Manga decide to not do a dub with a complete collection in the future, then I will not be supporting Manga's release.

While I want to support sub only releases, if there's going to be a dub - I will want the option of the dub even with the lack of Planet Axel.

It'll be late 2013 before a dub release will be possible, so tide yourself over with the sub only release this summer.
Seriously? I completely doubt this.

I won't be tiding myself over anyway, the ignorance coming from them as of late is annoying me again.

Did MangaUK really discuss with Virgin Media about his home connection problems on the company page? Whatever. Nothing surprises me any more.

So, Neon Alley launches this fall and will have Blue Exorcist. But er...late 2013? Either that's because Aniplex are being super stingy, or it's BS.

I think Jerome's been put in an awkward place here though.

I feel for Manga in this situation, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Cancel the sub-only release and make people wait up to a year for a dubbed release? People would rip into them for another cancellation.

Go ahead with the sub-only release and leave open the option of a complete collection with a dub later? People rip into them for attempting it.

VoxPhantom said:
I feel for Manga in this situation, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Cancel the sub-only release and make people wait up to a year for a dubbed release? People would rip into them for another cancellation.

Go ahead with the sub-only release and leave open the option of a complete collection with a dub later? People rip into them for attempting it.
Yup. My thoughts exactly.

I'll buy Blue Exorcist whether it's sub-only or includes a dub anyway though.

VoxPhantom said:
Wait what? That could potentially be the best idea to suit fans however likely wouldn't work for Manga due to sales. Manga are not going to get a buy from me unless they do a release like this anyway as I feel cheated knowing there is a dub coming along. I don't mind waiting as long as I know it's coming unlike Shiki ~

Perhaps Blue Exorcist is also going to function as a (somewhat risky, granted) test to see if lack of dub really does equal lack of sales. I don't know how Durarara did for Beez, but I suspect if it performed poorly that would be more likely down to the price than the lack of dub, but I could be wrong. We'll see.

Manga are used to releasing longer running shonen shows and will know the usual number of sales a dubbed series can expect to achieve. If they find that Blue Exorcist does as well or at least well enough to make the cost of the dub not worth shelling out for, perhaps that will provide the impetus for them to release more stuff sub only. Not that I think it's a release model that would replace dubs, more that Manga might have an eye to becoming both Funimation and Sentai for the UK.

Back