The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Joshawott said:
When the hell are Sentai going to release Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions? Seriously.

Has a BD-Box been released in Japan? If not then that's probably the case, unless the creators asked Sentai to halt it because of the movie and Season 2.

Just Passing Through said:
Second Season of Mushi-shi announced!

I think my brain just exploded, in a good way...

Yes yes yes!!!
Great news!!!

NormanicGrav said:
Andrew I am watching you, give this the ultimate release than the barebones Maiden Japan. By barebones, I mean the extras in the old Manga release (i.e. pilot film and commentary) which was skipped in Bandai's and Maiden Japan's release.

I already have the BD/DVD combo so I won't buy another release, but this is great news too for all people that don't have this classic.

Teo

And we’re off! 2014 is action packed

Happy New Year everyone and welcome back to regular life! We may be struggling a bit after the festive excesses but we’re back and raring to go. 2014 is going to be a pretty big year for us – we’ve had our first birthday in December and are well into our second year as Anime Limited. It’s been a helluva year, with a ton of fun and good stuff, some glitches and hiccups but all in all we’ve had a great time and we’d like to thank all of you for your support and patience while we ironed out the wrinkles.

So, 2014 eh? What ARE we up to in 2014? Well, I wouldn’t like to spoil all the fun but I will update you on what’s going on, what’s coming up in the next couple of months and answer some of the questions you’ve been posting on our Facebook page. So here it goes!

Titles coming out in Q1 of 2014 (January – April)

Outlaw Star
Tiger and Bunny: The Beginning (movie)
Garden of Words
Durarara!!
Nerima Daikon Brothers
Gurren Lagann Collector’s Edition
Theatrical release of A Letter to Momo
The more eagle eyed of you will perhaps notice a missing title – 009 RE:CYBORG. Sadly, we have experienced a set back with the release of 009 RE:CYBORG due to a delay in the completion of the English dub of the film. We’re still waiting on an updated delivery date for this and can’t give you a firm date as of yet. We will, of course, keep you informed when we’ve got some dates locked down.

What is the deal with the Shinkai Twinpack (Place Promised/Voices)?

We announced last year that we would be releasing a Collector’s Edition and regular edition twinpack of two of Makoto Shinkai’s films, The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star, which was due to come out in October 2013, but was rescheduled. At the moment, the release of the twinpack is being held up by some difficulties getting our hands on the English language assets for the films (Place Promised and Voices), the rights to which reside elsewhere and not with Sentai Filmworks. This is something we’re currently working on and should have sorted soon – no firm dates yet, but as ever keep an eye out for announcements and posts updating you on this.

We’re hoping to get something out in time for our planned upcoming release of a Collector’s Edition of Makoto Shinkai’s work to date which will include a couple titles which we hope to negotiate the inclusion of. The twinpack and the release of Garden of Words will be done separately as well for those not interested in the Shinkai Collection – so you’ll have the option of getting these titles separately or overall as part of the Shinkai Collection. At the moment, Amazon UK has the twinpack listed for December 2014 – this is just a holding date until we get confirmation on when we can release it. There is no need to panic as this will be out way before December 2014!

What else have you got lined up for us?

We started the new year with the brand spankin’ new show from the winning combo team of Bandai and Shinichiro Watanabe – the eagerly anticipated Space Dandy! This is currently being streamed online by our partners Wakanim.co.uk for the UK and ROI. The first episode went live on Sunday, January 6th at 3:30pm and has been getting pretty good reviews and support so far! It’s definitely THE show to follow this season and you can follow it on Wakanim UK every Sunday afternoon. It is currently being simulcasted with both a sub and English dub version so feel free to choose your poison.

Of course, two of last year’s popular shows Kill la Kill and Samurai Flamenco are still ongoing and available to view on Wakanim.co.uk. And what shows! Kill la Kill (in case you’ve been missing out) is one of the most bonkers and brilliant shows in recent memory! It continues to go from strength to strength and despite the totally insane surface, it has some incredibly well written and appreciated depths. Well worth investing your time and energy in keeping up.

Samurai Flamenco has been a surprise for me personally this season. It has developed really well over the season so far, in fact, it developed rather quickly and early on in the series. Really well written and with a surprisingly surprising premise (it makes sense if you think about it), Samurai Flamenco has been a bit of a sleeper hit this year and one that definitely should be included in your weekly watch schedule.

Events, Expos and Whatnot

We’ll be at a host of events, expos and whatnots this year including MCM Expo in London in May, Glasgow in September (obviously – homecourt advantage!) and loads in between. We’ll be publishing our full dance card when we’ve confirmed where we’re going and what we’re doing so you know where and how to reach us. Pop along to say hello, have a chat and maybe, just maybe, buy some of our delicious anime goods (we do not recommend eating blu-ray or DVDs – Edit).

Beyond Q1, we will have even more anime goodness coming your way. Like I said, 2014 is going to be super busy but we’re excited! Are you?

As always, we love hearing from you so don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

That's .. a lot of stuff coming out in Q1 in regards to what they've licensed. Makes me wonder what else they have up their sleeves ..

Sounds like the GL CE set is coming out first, with the separate BD/DVD versions coming later. No problem with that personally.

Dannielle said:
That's .. a lot of stuff coming out in Q1 in regards to what they've licensed. Makes me wonder what else they have up their sleeves ..

Sounds like the GL CE set is coming out first, with the separate BD/DVD versions coming later. No problem with that personally.

I haven't got a problem with that either, but I want their QC to be much better this time since all three of their major releases had their own issues. I would rather see delays then release it on time.

It looks like Tiger & Bunny will be first, they're been checking the QC on that title the last time I asked.

To be fair, a lot of that Q1 2014 slate was meant to be released in Q4 2013 (albeit it for reasons out of their control). I remember Anime Limited's Facebook saying that Tiger & Bunny could be out before the end of the month, would be nice to have some confirmation on that now that we're in January.

Sounds like they are gonna have a interesting year. I hope A Letter To Momo can get a cinema release in places Bristol or Gloucestershire, but that probably won’t happen.

Since they have Nerima Daikon Bros, hopefully they can re-license Excel Saga, and Captain Tylor.

Mangaranga said:
Like every JC Staff show until about mid 2013 it's upscaled from ~540p.

What, 2013 and they are still animating at 540p. I just don't get these Japanese company's, why are they not animating at a minimum of 1080p. Should have been doing this a good few years back. As far as I'm aware even now they don't animate at 1080p. I just don't get it, they know it's going to come out on Blu-ray, so why not animate at 1080p. Surly new shows like Kill la Kill they should be animating at 1080p.

NormanicGrav said:
I want their QC to be much better this time

I hope so too. Gurren Lagann CE is something I want.

On the subject of GL, I'm sure both the English and Japanese audio on the Japanese release is lossless. Hope that's the same with the UK release.

NormanicGrav said:
Joshawott said:
When the hell are Sentai going to release Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions? Seriously.

Has a BD-Box been released in Japan? If not then that's probably the case, unless the creators asked Sentai to halt it because of the movie and Season 2.
The seventh blu-ray volume was released back in June 2013 but I don't think a blu-ray box has been released (most likely because the airing of season 2 will boost sales of the individual season 1 volumes).

EDIT: Anime Limited are close to sealing the deal on download-to-own right for Kill la Kill. Source.

EDIT 2: Chunibyo S2 episode 1 has leaked. This time, NOT by Madman

Emulsion said:
Mangaranga said:
Like every JC Staff show until about mid 2013 it's upscaled from ~540p.

What, 2013 and they are still animating at 540p. I just don't get these Japanese company's, why are they not animating at a minimum of 1080p. Should have been doing this a good few years back. As far as I'm aware even now they don't animate at 1080p. I just don't get it, they know it's going to come out on Blu-ray, so why not animate at 1080p. Surly new shows like Kill la Kill they should be animating at 1080p.
Since about mid 2013 JC Staff shows are apparently animated around 900p.
I assume it costs more to produce TV anime at 1080p. If I remember correctly, as far as I'm aware, the second season of Nyaruko-San is the only TV anime created at 1080p. Movie wise, Garden of Words and Wolf Children are too. Kyoto Animation's OP/EDs are 1080p as are some of their backgrounds whilst the rest is 720-900p
A lot of TV anime is still animated at 720p - like Kill La Kill.

Anime-On-Line have now added Anime Limited titles for pre-order. The following have dates:

Garden of Words (DVD RRP £17.99, Blu-Ray RRP £19.99) - 10th February 2014
Outlaw Star Complete Collection (DVD RRP £34.99) - 24th February 2014
Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning (DVD/BD Combi-Pack RRP £24.99) - 24th February 2014
Durarara!!! Complete Set (DVD. RRP £49.99) / Durarara!!! Limited Edition (Blu-Ray, RRP £79.99) - 24th March 2014
Nerima Daikon Brothers Complete Collection (DVD RRP £39.99) - 28th April 2014
Gurren Lagann: Gurren-dan Edition (Blu-ray RRP £149.99) - 2nd June 2014
Gurren Lagann Collector's Edition Complete Collection (DVD RRP £39.99, Blu-Ray RRP £79.99) - 20th October 2014 -> DVD listed as Collector's Edition, Blu-Ray not.
Space Dandy Collector's Edition Complete Collection (DVD RRP £49.99, Blu-Ray RRP £69.99) - 24th November 2014

That's right. Space Dandy Complete Collection.

Mangaranga said:
Since about mid 2013 JC Staff shows are apparently animated around 900p.
I assume it costs more to produce TV anime at 1080p. If I remember correctly, as far as I'm aware, the second season of Nyaruko-San is the only TV anime created at 1080p. Movie wise, Garden of Words and Wolf Children are too. Kyoto Animation's OP/EDs are 1080p as are some of their backgrounds whilst the rest is 720-900p A lot of TV anime is still animated at 720p - like Kill La Kill.

I see. I still find it laughable that it took a company until 2013 to change from 540p to a higher resolution.

I would assume though, with movies, the big titles at least, would be 1080p or higher. The three Evangelion movies for example, considering they where on the big screen.

Joshawott said:
Anime-On-Line have now added Anime Limited titles for pre-order. The following have dates:

Gurren Lagann: Gurren-dan Edition (Blu-ray RRP £149.99) - 2nd June 2014

Cool, got a release date. Will wait for Amazon to list this before pre-ordering though. Still waiting for them to list Fate/Zero Blu-ray collectors edition.

KICKSTARTER:

- We’ve acquired a rather interesting property and have a Kickstarter that launches in a week or so once approval has cleared – which will run across the US and UK. It’s a title which fell through the cracks for everyone and we’re pretty excited but given the breadth of the territory especially, a Kickstarter makes sense as a rarity.

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello, what's Anime Limited up to then?

Also, was an Escaflowne Ultimate Edition confirmed before?

I'm excited to see what the Kickstarter will be, it's got to be a property that has never been released outside of Japan (which is to high a number to even guess).

Hmmm, they list their Space Dandy release as 13 episodes. I thought it got extended to 26 episodes?

EDIT: Looking into it a bit more, I can't find any sources for this except a removed Toonami post. Guess we'll wait and see.

Let's just hope the Americans don't pre-order the Ultimate 'Gurren-dan' edition as well, you how well they are pissed off with their AoA release.

Anime Limited apparently don't have Kill la Kill in one of the 17 licenses.

Well we have 10 series we've not announced yet - and I'd guess whoever DID have KLK, even if their contract wasn't signed yet, would be aiming for a Q3 or Q4 release for the first part depending on the US" plans...

- Ever-so-subtle Andrew.

Gurren Lagann Ultimate contains:
- A rigid case with some very nice artwork around it.
- Serialised postcard inside with the number in the print run it is (only 2,000 will ever be made).
- 6 BD50s with all 27 episodes, Movie 1, Movie 2, Parallel Works, the Nintendo DS OVA and as many of the extras we can negotiate that are not exclusive.
- A 50 page artbook, hardback A5 sized.

Back