The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Re: The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a threa

Resolutions I have tried but everything freezes as soon as I bring it up. I've not tried another browser though? Bit annoying how everything else is absolutely fine :(

Have you tried completely clearing out your browser cache (the instructions for this differ between browsers but Google will have the answer)? And perhaps reinstalling Flash from the Adobe website?

If you're not sure whether your cache is clear, you might want to try activating your browser's 'private' or 'secure' browsing mode and then visiting the page again (you'll have to log in again) to see whether that clears it.

(If you happen to be on a Mac, I know that Flash Player keeps its own cache which you can clear in System Preferences. I'm sure it does in Windows too but I don't have a computer handy - right clicking on another video might give you access to the controls you need though.)

R

They calculate your shipping based on their costs which means they can't tell you the final price until they bundle it up and weigh it. When you place the order, you get an acknowledgement with shipping priced at zero, then a few days later you'll get a confirmation mail with the final pricing and a payment link.

If you know how much it weighs you can estimate the shipping with this table (it will likely be slightly higher to cover packaging etc but at least you can pick which shipping method is likely to be cheapest):

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/english/fee/intel/sal.html

R

I'll ask this here since there isn't a Manga question thread, but is "All You Need Is Kill" actually out in the UK? I can't find it on Amazon (just the novel version, some tokyopop versions (?!) and a kindle edition), nor can I find it in bookstores. I have asked Viz Media UK on their facebook and they replied it is out in the UK - so either I'm blind and can't find it or...

I may have been hiding under a bush but did anyone else notice that the latest version of Castle in the Sky has a different music score? I knew it seemed different when I watched the blu-Ray.

Only reason I know is that I read an Answerman article on ANN. I've now gone and ordered the old DVD I use to have.

Just to confirm from ANN (although this's is the U.S. version)

Castle in the Sky - Disney Blu-ray is dubtitled. The English dub has been revised to remove some added dialogue and restore the original synthesizer score, which was replaced with an orchestral re-recording on its initial release. The Japanese BD has faithful subtitles, and includes the dub with the orchestral score.

I think the UK version (dub) has the orchestral score but the version I have watched for years had the synthesiser score. At least I hope it did as I've just wasted a few quid ordering a DVD I used to own.

Anyway if you put the DVD or Blu-Ray on and flick between the English and Japanese audio, the score on the Japanese version is the one I know (which I believe is the synthesiser score)

Rui said:

GolGotha said:

Thanks for the help. The amazon one threw me off when I first found it because if you "look inside" it shows the novel, not the manga.

Another manga question, does anyone know somewhere I can buy Food Wars volume 3 from? It's on Amazon but at like £17. Seems to be out of stock everywhere. It only got released last month! surely the production amount couldn't have been that low!?

Oh, and does anyone know a good site to pre-order manga with? I used to always use Amazon but the whole "no free delivery if buying less than £10" is a major pain now, meaning you have to pay £2.75 on top for delivery if you pre-order a single manga. I was going to try BookDepository or Wordery buy it seems they charge for pre-orders upfront (I hate that).

Order 2 volumes at once? You can just pre-order the next volume of the same series if it's already been listed

st_owly said:
Order 2 volumes at once? You can just pre-order the next volume of the same series if it's already been listed

But then you have to either A) wait for the next volume of said series to release to get both at the same time (arguably for free), or B) pay for first class postage for both of them to get them on release

I tend to pre-order for a selected month, like I choose all the releases I'd want in that month so they all come around the same time. Like I've done a pre-order for June of this year :lol: because Amazon had good prices for that month.

However, honestly I wouldn't bother pre-ordering manga. I wait for the release date or just after, then buy from Book Depository/Wordery through Amazon. It's cheaper and even plus delivery it's STILL cheaper. I used to pre-order all my manga but it's just too expensive to do so now.

@Cel - fair enough. I don't preorder through Amazon so I didn't know you'd pay postage twice. I get most of my new releases from Forbidden Planet, as they're almost as cheap.

I find even with free postage on Amazon they'll usually split-ship things just to get them out of the warehouse (especially with certain Viz titles which have many months between volumes). It's a lottery though, so if you really want to read a book now the risk of waiting for them to split the shipments can be too much to bear.

I usually order way too much for them to send by Royal Mail in one go so they end up splitting them into lots of smaller deliveries, which keeps me happy most of the time.

R

I'll always do big pre-orders sessions all at once. I think one time a session came to over £200, but it was just for lots of smaller individual stuff spaced out over many months - so then you just wait for the individual parts and get charged as and when.

st_owly said:
@Cel - fair enough. I don't preorder through Amazon so I didn't know you'd pay postage twice. I get most of my new releases from Forbidden Planet, as they're almost as cheap.

I never really found the planet to be that cheap, in fact considering you used to be able to get free shipping on anything Amazon was always cheaper than when I used to shop at the Forbidden Planet. I stuck with the planet because I enjoyed visiting them once a month to pick up my order, when all the staff told me they were all moving on for various reasons and their replacements proved to be not so chatty the incentive to shop in a physical building disappeared.

I order most of my Manga from United Publications, slightly pricier than Amazon but I prefer the more personal service rather than being the 1000th book someone picked off a shelf without a care as to how it was handled. Has some pros considering Viz stuff seems to hit Amazon UK slower than you'd expect, and some downsides with titles occasionally being a few weeks late for some reason. (usually Fairy Tail for some reason)

The one in Edinburgh has all manga on 3 for 2 all the time, so for new releases it works out to be about the same as Amazon, especially for Yen Press since the dispute.

st_owly said:
The one in Edinburgh has all manga on 3 for 2 all the time, so for new releases it works out to be about the same as Amazon, especially for Yen Press since the dispute.

Yeah, when I can I always go there. I spend a good amount of money in one day at that place, love it. I wish the glasgow forbidden planet did 3 for 2.

So do I. I'm through there quite a bit for uni and their selection is so much better than the one here but no 3 for 2 :(

Wrong thread

Okay so I'm not sure what thread this would go in so I thought that I'd try here. The gist of it is I know somebody who has a lot of interest in seeing a release of Mitsudomoe and YuruYuri in the UK. Anyone think they'd ever be release in the UK? MVM seems to be a good candidate no? Not seen either of the two shows myself, not by cup of tea but the person in question really likes them so I thought that I ask. Thanks :)

Back