Themed Weeks

charlie-sigh-769156.jpg

What ever

I remember Hopeful suggesting more of a 4 week thing instead of 2 weeks, so i can see that working out more yeah. From what i can gather, the idea needs a bit more advertising first and foremost, and it needs to be around series which more than, say 25% of users have seen. So i can see where to start looking into it. It was pretty much a basic idea to try to:

A. Get more activity in the forums, as at the time the place was rather quiet.
and
B. To try to get people into shows that they may not have looked into previously, which where available to buy rather than just available via online methods.

It could probably still stick to that, but maybe revise everything around it and start by focusing on series which have been more well received? Just don't have us starting off with Eva or a shounen ;p

EDIT: Now i think on it, the only problem with the whole advertising side of things is that i'm only limited to making news posts. I can't do outwith the forums bar that, so for advertising the discussion around the site itself would require the stepping in of Rui and/or chaos.

Arbalest said:
EDIT: Now i think on it, the only problem with the whole advertising side of things is that i'm only limited to making news posts. I can't do outwith the forums bar that, so for advertising the discussion around the site itself would require the stepping in of Rui and/or chaos.

While I know exactly what they meant, I have no idea how to do this with the powers I have here, unfortunately. It's probably a Chaos question when he's fully back after his family visit. I probably also lack the graphical skill to make the site decorations :(

I think moving it to a month will increase awareness quite a bit on its own as people won't blink and miss a show, as well as a poll to get people involved in advance. For the rest we'll have to have a think.

R

Rui said:
Arbalest said:

While I know exactly what they meant, I have no idea how to do this with the powers I have here, unfortunately. It's probably a Chaos question when he's fully back after his family visit. I probably also lack the graphical skill to make the site decorations :(

I think moving it to a month will increase awareness quite a bit on its own as people won't blink and miss a show, as well as a poll to get people involved in advance. For the rest we'll have to have a think.

R

Rui, I can assure you some of us members have ability with Photoshop and so on, and can make you a banner. I'm quite happy to do so- however, i'd hate for this to turn into "Banner Competitions" again- I just can't be bothered to spend a few hours making a banner just to think it'll go to nothing. You're best Private Messaging say, 3-4 people you know who can use Photoshop/GIMP well, and asking them to come up with a few test banners 1-2 months before the theme week starts. That way you have time to improve them (Because all artists should be able to take some constructive critism, and work towards what they're asked) and get them just perfect for the site.

I will tell you i'm more than happy to try for you. However- if you don't wish to have me take part, I wont be offended. (You can see my work in my art thread, or on my DeviantArt page.)

EDIT: The alternative would be, to look at all the Photoshop artists you have, and let the ones who like the show do it. I just don't think you should turn everything into competitions and accept the final result in all cases. You should make the artist improve things, and then get it perfect. Also, I feel these things should be done by the community, for the community. The artists here use AUKN for either 1) Displaying thier art, 2) Discussing anime, 3) Enjoying the community or all of them. I'm sure that we can all pitch in. (At the same point though, you need to push us to do some really fantastic pieces otherwise the site will look tacky.)

Rui said:
Arbalest said:

It's doable, but just like Rui, I lack the graphical skills to do so.
I like the idea about getting more people involved to collaborate, as I'm a firm believer on the more the merrier.

Well if you're looking for banners and stuff I'm sure retrorainbow could help out there.
I'm pretty competent with that kind of thing too... that is once I can get photoshop back.

chaos said:
Rui said:
Arbalest said:

It's doable, but just like Rui, I lack the graphical skills to do so.
I like the idea about getting more people involved to collaborate, as I'm a firm believer on the more the merrier.

AHEM

Spyro201 said:
Rui, I can assure you some of us members have ability with Photoshop and so on, and can make you a banner. I'm quite happy to do so- however, i'd hate for this to turn into "Banner Competitions" again- I just can't be bothered to spend a few hours making a banner just to think it'll go to nothing. You're best Private Messaging say, 3-4 people you know who can use Photoshop/GIMP well, and asking them to come up with a few test banners 1-2 months before the theme week starts. That way you have time to improve them (Because all artists should be able to take some constructive critism, and work towards what they're asked) and get them just perfect for the site.

I will tell you i'm more than happy to try for you. However- if you don't wish to have me take part, I wont be offended. (You can see my work in my art thread, or on my DeviantArt page.)

EDIT: The alternative would be, to look at all the Photoshop artists you have, and let the ones who like the show do it. I just don't think you should turn everything into competitions and accept the final result in all cases. You should make the artist improve things, and then get it perfect. Also, I feel these things should be done by the community, for the community. The artists here use AUKN for either 1) Displaying thier art, 2) Discussing anime, 3) Enjoying the community or all of them. I'm sure that we can all pitch in. (At the same point though, you need to push us to do some really fantastic pieces otherwise the site will look tacky.)

Did you ignore my whole post Chaos?

One thing to think about is if we are going to stick to legally available shows, is that maybe we schedule these weeks for a month or so after release (if new) to give people a chance to watch them first. Also if as suggested we go to a month anyone convinced to try the show out by early posts, then has time to watch some episodes and join in the thread.

That sounds like the best choice of action. As such, i'm gonna leave the Gundam 00 thread stickied for another couple of weeks, just so i can get my barings on this and work out a better course of action for this all.

Spyro201 said:
Did you ignore my whole post Chaos?
Busted, dammit ;)

I didn't disregard your post, Spyro. It's just that before actually trying to get people to put effort into it, I rather figure out what will need to change on the background.

I've just nodded for the whole idea, but will green light it, once I know what would need to be changed to do so.

I don't know what UKA is (although I guessed at the obvious, and that seems to be a quieter forum than this one, and I couldn't see anything like this at a quick glance. It's a shame a small community like the UK one is fragmented across different boards, when a massive community like the US even only has three main ones that I can think of, and of them only one I would ever consider reading), but I can't see the problem in using ideas that are also used elsewhere - if anything, this probably means it's a decent idea that has been proved to work.

ilmaestro said:
I don't know what UKA is (although I guessed at the obvious, and that seems to be a quieter forum than this one, and I couldn't see anything like this at a quick glance. It's a shame a small community like the UK one is fragmented across different boards, when a massive community like the US even only has three main ones that I can think of, and of them only one I would ever consider reading), but I can't see the problem in using ideas that are also used elsewhere - if anything, this probably means it's a decent idea that has been proved to work.

Or not, if the forum is really that dead ;) XD

Right, gonna throw this to ya all. With Darker Than Black volume 1 + 2 set for release at the end of the month, how does it sound that we set up the themed week for that starting from then for a month, and if possible, perhaps get an extra banner, say, to advertise it amongst the others? As for perhaps linking the discussion, we could make a link to it via the news section, but i'll let you think on it, and work with what i get from that.

Heh, I was just thinking about this yesterday wondering if it had been shelved or not.

If I was going to suggest anything, it would be to leave Darker Than Black until November or December with the last volume seemingly scheduled for December 14th, but I'd like to hear what other people have to say too.

Back