Timberlake does Ergo Proxy

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to Anime News Network, the on-tour Justin Timberlake includes several clips of "various anime series, including Ergo Proxy" during hip-hop producer Timbaland's solo performance. Of course this isn't the first time pop stars have used anime to accompany their music - most famously Madonna interspersed her songs with clips of Satoshi Kon's mind-bending Perfect Blue during her "Drowned World Tour" in 2001.

I read that the Drowned World tour also used clips from a little-known and low-budged 80s film called The Humanoid, so they may have been several animé involved, and the live DVD from that tour has katakana on the cover. I can see how either of those would fit in with her diva/dominatrix image, but even it seems somewhat offensive to use such an art-house masterpiece as Perfect Blue as mere backdrops for pop music. The album the tour was from (Ray of Light) is also that which produced 'Nothing Really Matters' which has rather good Japan-inspired video - it's imaginative, though hardly authentic and as far as I can remember the music of the album has nothing to do with Japan, but is very good in terms of pop.

On the ANN forum there's a big hoohar about how Ergo Poxy (which is very Gothi/Techno/Loli/Asitrocrat) is completely inappropriate for an RnB artist, but I think they need some relativity kicked into them. What do you think would be more appropriate if they compared it to My Neighbour Totoro or A Little Snow Fairy Sugar?

And now I think I'll have a little chain-of-thought rant:
Timbaland has recently been working with Björk.
Björk is the audio equivalent of Miyazaki (as well as being a contemporary equivalent of Stravinsky).
Timbaland also worked with Utada.
I like the 'fluximations' made by Studio 4? for the Utada album.
Björk could have a video designed by Studio 4?. Or Ghibli or CLAMP or Aya Kato, depending on the song.
And Aya Kato should do illustrations for Stravinsky, or at least for classical music in the broadest sense.

Back