Took me a little while, but...

rory_okane

Completely Average High School Student
What ho, all! I'm Rory. I signed up a few weeks ago and have been browsing the forums ever since - I had no idea there were so many Otaku living in this United Kingdom, and it's nice to know that there are. :)
A little bit about me. I'm Cardiff born and bred (not that you'd know it as I sound like I'm from Oxford or somewhere), and was educated entirely in the medium of Welsh, making me a completely fluent Welsh speaker (Shwmai i bawb sy'n siarad Cymraeg!). As of right now, I'm a third-year medical student at Imperial College London. It's a six year degree, and it's going rather well. I love being a medic - not just the ridiculous drinking, but doing stuff like Medics' Boat Club and Music Soc (I sing in the choir)... But yeah, being a medic is a pretty big part of what makes me "me", if you take my meaning. When I'm not watching anime, reading manga, studying medicine or drinking or singing, I dabble at the piano, read, play PC games (mainly RTS - but with the occasional FPS or RPG thrown in), and act as a historian for a mod team modifying Rome:Total War (as I am a massive fan of the Romans - I actually own a suit of legionary lorica segmentata - see this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorica_segmentata) - and a helmet to go with it. I hope eventually to acquire the complete panoply).
I've got a few TV shows that I watch religiously - House, Grey's Anatomy, How I Met Your Mother, Bones and CSI - and I will always have a special place in my heart for Scrubs, which is still my favourite show ever. Not that everything I like is American - I'm a HUGE fan of anything by the Monty Python chaps, Blackadder, Jeeves and Wooster, QI (Stephen Fry is a bit of a god to me), and Top Gear (I use Jeremy Clarkson's "Possibly the X-est Y... IN THE WORLD" far too often in social situations).
As for filims, I love Lord of the Rings and Star Wars and Gladiator (Romans pwning barbarians, w00t!), and almost anything by Tarentino (other than Death Proof, which I thought was a bit crap). I love a good war movie, but I'm also very fond of comedies, and I have a MASSIVE soft spot for Love Actually, which is one of the best British movies ever made. It's positively wonderful (and it has Keira Knightley in it, as well as a very brief appearance by Elisha Cuthbert, so yeah, major totti there).
With regards to music, my tastes are rather eclectic - my iTunes is mostly filled with "classical" music (ranging from the Baroque of Handel and J.S. Bach to the Romantic-period bombastics of Wagner) and heavy metal/hard rock (So, AC-DC to Arch Enemy, and most things inbetween), with a few other random bits n' bobs thrown in for good measure.
So, massive rant/ego trip out of the way, pip-pip, everybody! :)

I like him, can we keep him, Ryo!! *Vice-grips Rory into a hug*

That's one heck of an intro, but a damn good one. Definately a good group and refined selection of different things in that speech (Scrubs, Top Gear, other british stuff, Love Actually, Rock music...)

Anyways, make yourself comfortable, Rory. Always happy to add another to the herd. :)

If you don't mind my prying, does Imperial's student population still exhibit a notable gender unbalance? Within nearby rival institutions such as my alma mater, idle conversation on the subject of IC would usually give mention to such a preconception.

Zin5ki said:
If you don't mind my prying, does Imperial's student population still exhibit a notable gender unbalance? Within nearby rival institutions such as my alma mater, idle conversation on the subject of IC would usually give mention to such a preconception.
The main body of Imperial College, yes, but the faculty of medicine is split roughly 50/50. Admittedly that's worse for me than most medical schools, but still, it gives us the excuse, come varsity day, to shout "Where are all your women?!" at the IC lot from the Medic side of the stands. :)

Back