UK Anime Christmas Sales for 2023 [Anime Ltd's 12 Days of Xmas + More]

But I will say that being a ‘rescue’ shouldn’t factor into it, it’s not like they’ll have paid less to license it and it’s in a completely different form to previously. I suppose the ones with prior releases likely won’t need to be BBFC’d again, but otherwise I don’t see where or why they should lower the SRP.
BBFC is a massive cost difference in itself, but that isn’t all. The reduction in discs from four to three is another saving for some of the titles and the lack of any of the extras from the Animatsu releases such as soundtracks is another factor. And an abundance of second hand copies in the market is a factor, regardless of whether you think it should be. These CEs exist as a box ticking exercise because Anime Limited is known for CEs and they now get to coast on the idea that an AL CE is automatically a product worth owning.

these releases appeal more to me than the original animatsu ones did
Animatsu’s Collectors/Deluxe Editions were perfectly adequate and at least on par with these new releases.

Outside of possible standard edition pickups I think this'll be a very quiet Christmas for me as far as UK sales go. Instead I think it's a good time for me to import some JP Blu-rays I've been monitoring on Mandarake.

BBFC is a massive cost difference in itself, but that isn’t all. The reduction in discs from four to three is another saving for some of the titles and the lack of any of the extras from the Animatsu releases such as soundtracks is another factor. And an abundance of second hand copies in the market is a factor, regardless of whether you think it should be. These CEs exist as a box ticking exercise because Anime Limited is known for CEs and they now get to coast on the idea that an AL CE is automatically a product worth owning.

Right, those are all valid points but we're ignoring how much work has gone into creating these sets, which is not insignificant when they're new designs/materials which needs several people to produce / get approvals for / etc. etc. I'm by no means blind to the fact they're CEs because that's what AL do, but at the same time I see the value in having new CEs now for the younger / newer fans who may want them and missed out. I personally don't see a justifiable reason for why there should be a price reduction simply because they existed several years ago under a different company with a different release strecture.

Animatsu’s Collectors/Deluxe Editions were perfectly adequate and at least on par with these new releases.

As someone who fell into the earlier mentioned young and poor anime fan at the time, I never had reasonable access to the CEs when they were in abundance and I recall the prices being fairly ridiculous. In fact, just part one of Akame Ga Kill started at £86 SRP for the CE and sure they came down in price but it ended up a similar situation to CR now where I couldn't afford nor justify it.

Speaking of day of release. The final Evangelion film is supposed to be released yesterday. I had the Standard Blu pre-ordered day one. Not a peep from All the Anime
My standard edition copy of the final Evangelion movie arrived from Amazon last Wednesday.

--------

As for the AL sale, I suspect I won't buy as much this year as I've done previously. I've got a few titles on my wishlist if they pop up in the sale.

@NormanicGrav You have my curiosity peaked with the possibility of Macross Plus. This has always been a hard anime for me to grasps in terms of distribution (likely due to how limited the series was to obtain during the legal battles).

Also, thank you for creating this thread every year!!!

I bought the Robotech Collectors Edition last year from Funimation, so I <believe> that the PLUS is not inclusive in that (I'm looking over the contents now and I'm about 99% sure) and I'll need to buy it if I see it. If anyone see's that I'm wrong, please holler at me so I don't buy something I already have from the CE.

Robotech is focused on the US English Edit version of Super Dimensional Fortress Macross for Season 1 (the next two seasons focused on different shows unrelated to Macross), so Macross Plus is a separate licence and series in general. Macross Plus is an Ultimate Edition I believe (or at least its OST is) for sometime next year.

Anybody else looking at that previous Mystery Box list and thinking there are titles going back years they haven't watched

I'm also wondering why Amanchu still hasn't had a season 2 physical release as it really is a good series

Anybody else looking at that previous Mystery Box list and thinking there are titles going back years they haven't watched

I'm also wondering why Amanchu still hasn't had a season 2 physical release as it really is a good series
It being a good series and it being a good seller are two very different things. The key question is whether it sold enough for AL to warrant a release for season 2.

I'm very disappointed with the Parasyte the Maxim and Akame ga Kill CE desgin and contents the move especially the latter show.

It's a far cry compared to their Animatsu counterparts.
The Akame ga Kill CE contents is bare bones even for CE standards and I really not a fan of the Parasyte BD case art.

I'm better off waiting for the standards for those two.

I'm aware that not every CE has to be flashy and packed with content, but it feels like a slap in the face for those two very popular 2014 series.

Ah I'd forgotten all about the Christmas sales in the last few manic weeks, good thing I stumbled across this thread just in time! Though I've bought most of their back catalogue in their previous few sales so I'm hoping I can hold on to more of my dosh this year. Thanks again as always for putting this together @NormanicGrav

Hope there's enough to get to free shipping without having to preorder anything. I'll wait for others to get the mystery boxes before deciding if I'll bite or not.

MVM's sale has been added to the first post.

Bundles (Mystery Box & Disc Pots) List:
Anime BundlePrice
10 Disc Pot Luck MVM Bundle (Blu-ray)£7.99
10 Disc Pot Luck MVM Bundle (DVD)£4.99
Christmas Mystery Bundle #1 (Blu-ray) [18-rated]£19.99
Christmas Mystery Bundle #2 (Blu-ray) [15-rated]£19.98
Christmas Mystery Bundle #1 (DVD) [18-rated]£19.99
Christmas Mystery Bundle #2 (DVD) [15-rated]£9.98

Early Bird Redux (Standard Edition/Regular releases) List:
AnimePrice
Aria the Natural Part 1£23.99
Aria the Natural Part 2£23.99