UK Anime Christmas Sales for 2023 [Anime Ltd's 12 Days of Xmas + More]

You won't find any small retailers joining the IOSS, the fees to be a part of it are massive and the amount of paperwork required for processing orders to the EU is not insignificant.
I wasn't aware IOSS is fee-heavy. Though I'd argue the "smaller retailer" part is not applicable to Anime Limited, especially after the Embracer Group/PLAION acquisition (although EG is looking quite bleak...).

I wasn't aware IOSS is fee-heavy. Though I'd argue the "smaller retailer" part is not applicable to Anime Limited, especially after the Embracer Group/PLAION acquisition (although EG is looking quite bleak...).
If you have IOSS you also incentivise people outside the U.K. to order more which can only be a good thing, I usually wait for sales atm to cover the import fees. But I’d buy way more early birds if it was implemented

I pretty much got nothing from AL, it is just not worth for anyone outside of UK. even with the free shipping above 100, the custom fees for anything above 100 i would be quite a sum for someone like me in my country. so it is not worth it, which is a bummer.

MVM on Anime on line is a lot better, the combined shipping in total is only 3.99 and i have over 10 or so titles and the mystery boxes.

Speaking of which, has no one gotten the dvd mystery box? not the clearence one but the other? cause mine is looking like it will take till end of dec , start of januray to arrive. im curious to see what is inside, if not its ok, il wait.
I ordered it in the end last night (it was pretty good last year and the eligable titles should be reasonable although I do expect some dupes and repeats from previous years), and has dispatched today, so should be able to post up at a later date

Also I think my day one order from AllTheAnime with mystery boxes and other stuff just dispatched via FedEx, probably in my case just too big to want to sort out early.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised, even larger retailers like Zavvi and Hit(formerly Base) were in the IOSS and came back out of it as it was too much hassle vs the amount of EU sales they received.

It seems to make more sense big US companies as Crunchyroll and Allyourmusic(WowHD, DeepDiscount) are in it.

Yes, above 150 EUR my post office charges me 28 EUR, under it's 3.25 EUR, regardless, if it's pre-collected via IOSS, they still charge me the administrative fee. FedEx on the other hand is a flat 18 EUR fee. I'm still waiting on AllTheAnime to tell me what will they use. I'll probably drop another order in the final hours for the BOGOF sale.

I feel like if ya have the Irish rights to products and you don’t sell them in Irish shops like golden disks it would be nice to activate IOSS to better serve the region which you have licensed. Also it would be nice if AL looked into actually selling through Irish shops like golden disks and the hmv in Dublin

The an post fee of 3.50€ isn’t too bad but the FedEx fee of 16€ is criminal

Crunchyroll uses IOSS? I know Rightstuf precollected tax for FedEx.

The downside of IOSS is the 150 EUR cap. Funny enough Arrow still has IOSS and I think the company behind them is The Hut group. Heck, even the package I got from Arrow US had IOSS. Even some smaller stores in the UK have IOSS so I don't think it's that big of a hassle?

Still a bit bummed I missed on Black Lagoon :(

You'd be surprised, even larger retailers like Zavvi and Hit(formerly Base) were in the IOSS and came back out of it as it was too much hassle vs the amount of EU sales they received.

It seems to make more sense big US companies as Crunchyroll and Allyourmusic(WowHD, DeepDiscount) are in it.
I'm definitely surprised, considering Bitmap Books from the UK is a relatively small niche book publisher (to my knowledge), and even they implemented IOSS from the get-go.
Yes, above 150 EUR my post office charges me 28 EUR, under it's 3.25 EUR, regardless, if it's pre-collected via IOSS, they still charge me the administrative fee. FedEx on the other hand is a flat 18 EUR fee. I'm still waiting on AllTheAnime to tell me what will they use. I'll probably drop another order in the final hours for the BOGOF sale.
Yeah, FedEx charges 16 EUR over here, while the local postal service only charges 6 EUR under 150 and 13,50 for above.
I feel like if ya have the Irish rights to products and you don’t sell them in Irish shops like golden disks it would be nice to activate IOSS to better serve the region which you have licensed. Also it would be nice if AL looked into actually selling through Irish shops like golden disks and the hmv in Dublin

FedEx's 16€ fee is on goods above 50€ (it takes a certain % + smaller flat fee on below 50 IIRC), which is weird as that's well below the "We gotta check for import tariffs." amount. Not to mention, IOSS helps getting more Region B customers altogether. Especially as the Netherlands has a non-existing anime publishing market except for very few anime films getting published by publishers focusing on niche films in general (instead of specifically anime).
Crunchyroll uses IOSS? I know Rightstuf precollected tax for FedEx.

The downside of IOSS is the 150 EUR cap. Funny enough Arrow still has IOSS and I think the company behind them is The Hut group. Heck, even the package I got from Arrow US had IOSS. Even some smaller stores in the UK have IOSS so I don't think it's that big of a hassle?

Still a bit bummed I missed on Black Lagoon :(
I didn't know IOSS has the 150 EUR cap, most likely because of possible import tariffs that are applicable on a value above 150 EUR. Do you happen to know what happens to pre-emptively collected VAT then? Amazon still would collect VAT as if it's done through IOSS, but just adds an additional charge (which can be partially refunded if it was unnecessary) because of possible import tariffs. Didn't order from Amazon US above 150€ yet.

HMV have started selling blurays in Dublin, but only the top 10 on a single shelf. The new relaunch of HMV here is a joke, 2 floors of pop culture crap and half a floor each to cd and vinyl. And then you can add that they are more expensive than Golden Discs and Tower Records.

HMV have started selling blurays in Dublin, but only the top 10 on a single shelf. The new relaunch of HMV here is a joke, 2 floors of pop culture crap and half a floor each to cd and vinyl. And then you can add that they are more expensive than Golden Discs and Tower Records.
Always wondered why goldendisks never sold anime even online

I didn't know IOSS has the 150 EUR cap, most likely because of possible import tariffs that are applicable on a value above 150 EUR. Do you happen to know what happens to pre-emptively collected VAT then? Amazon still would collect VAT as if it's done through IOSS, but just adds an additional charge (which can be partially refunded if it was unnecessary) because of possible import tariffs. Didn't order from Amazon US above 150€ yet.

No idea, I think most shops just remove VAT from the orders exceeding 150 EUR, that's what DeepDiscount does. Amazon tends to use their own shipping network but most of the US stuff I get via courier who handle their own tax payments, so I think they bypass IOSS. DeepDiscount is interested because it seems to be imported and reshipped from Netherlands, as I never pay the extra postal fee.

And bummer, Nadesico sold out, so I'm out of that as well :( I hope Future Boy Conan 4k is cheaper at the next sale and get this and possibly Captain Tylor as well.

Last edited:
Am I right in saying that if I have any items in the same order as one of the new AL pre-orders that nothing will be shipped until everything is made available?

Got a standard blu ray alongside my Shirobako preorder (to make up for the 10% code) so was curious.

Am I right in saying that if I have any items in the same order as one of the new AL pre-orders that nothing will be shipped until everything is made available?

Got a standard blu ray alongside my Shirobako preorder (to make up for the 10% code) so was curious.
That is my understanding, yes. Better to make seperate orders if you want items to be shipped as soon as they are available.

Although by the sounds of things, they are being very slow to ship due to the volume of orders they are receiving at this time of year.

Last edited:
Back