UK MP critisizes amount of anime on UK kids TV

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
UKAnime.com have picked up on an interesting quote from British Conservative politician John Whittingdale (the Chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee), who in order to highlight the apparent lack of British animation on childrens TV, is particularly concerned about the growth of "Japanese anime cartoons". The relevant paragraph is quoted below.

"There will be a growth of the likes of Japanese anime cartoons and American animated content which is something we are concerned about and may need to be addressed as part of challenge of maintaining public service plurality."

You can read the full article at the Guardian, though free registration is required.

Aren't we meant to embrace other cultures? If the british shows are good enough quality then they will stand the test next to these foreign shows, it's the kids that decide what they want to watch after all. Having said that most of the so called anime shows on kids channels are so deformed from their original state anyway that they might as well be made for english speaking countries.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Aren't we meant to embrace other cultures? If the british shows are good enough quality then they will stand the test next to these foreign shows, it's the kids that decide what they want to watch after all. Having said that most of the so called anime shows on kids channels are so deformed from their original state anyway that they might as well be made for english speaking countries.

I couldint agree more.
A very ignorant statement by a very ignorant man.

Well I can tell he isn't a fan then lol Hmm wonder who I will vote for this year... Proberly not concervative now... Proberly not Labour... Who am I kidding I can never be bothered to vote anyway. But if I did he might make me think otherwise :evil:

I guess this will be the reason why kids in the uk are so messed up then.

So amercian and japanesse cartoons are the reason why kids down my road the other day decided to petrol bomb an old womans car :roll:

X_nick_X said:
I guess this will be the reason why kids in the uk are so messed up then.

So amercian and japanesse cartoons are the reason why kids down my road the other day decided to petrol bomb an old womans car :roll:

:lol: That one really cracked me up.

FUD Alert!

Outlawstar said:
A very ignorant statement by a very ignorant man.
Not so much ignorant but devious. It's a thinly veiled attempt at scaremongering to get a lesser ban on junk food advertising. With the exception of the BBC, has the U.K. ever been so hot on producing animated kids t.v.?

All I can remember growing up were American/French/Canadian/Japanese animated shows. Not one made in the U.K. has stuck in my mind. Money has been leaking from this industry for years and I would guess it comes down to the fact that importing a show is far cheaper than producing your own.

It's sad that it's always about the money in the end. I'm hopeful though as maybe this will spark some kind of investment for the U.K industry.

My immediate thought was 'too much? where? what channel? cause i haven't seen any of it'. One or two shows a morning on ITV and Five is hardly an outrageous amount. Why not complain about things like the almost constant misery in most of the major UK soaps. When was the last time you saw someone smile on Eastenders, or Corrie?

This guy is whack....

We already have a lot of british animations here. Like.... What do we have thats British Animation.

Anyway, most of what he calls anime isn't anime, its Americans rip offs Anime....

Will the Right Honourable Gentleman please describe what "anime " is? I'd love to know to determine is he's talking out his ****, or not. When was the latest British made, and voiced, cartoon to have been broadcast here that wasn't for preschoolers? What's stopping them then? Surely not the taxes? :roll:

Since I cba regestering, I can't see the whole article...
But from that quote, it's not the Japanese's fault. It's not anime's fault. We just need more British comic/animator artists to come up with something good. He needs to go-figure that anime is growing in the UK fan-base.

I bet he's not complaining about the shows on TV, but he's hearing rumours about DVDs from random people. "Oh yes, my son/daughter is also into that Japanese stuff." What a load...

Well perhaps it never occured to the honourable gentleman, the reason why kids watch anime is because british cartoons are well... rubbish?

All that statement shows is complete ignorance.

Really hard to respect stupid people.

M.G xx

Manga Girls said:
Well perhaps it never occured to the honourable gentleman, the reason why kids watch anime is because british cartoons are well... rubbish?

M.G xx

tbf name 1 good british cartoon (Walace and Gromit don't count) since Danger mouse

Ryo Chan said:
Manga Girls said:

M.G xx

tbf name 1 good british cartoon (Walace and Gromit don't count) since Danger mouse

Banana Man and Thomas the Tank Engine :d

Back