Viz Media & IGN release Death Note as digital download

jeremy1985

Kiznaiver
Viz Media have confirmed they'll be teaming up with IGN Entertainment's 'Direct2Drive' service to make the anime series 'Death Note' available for digital download.

The first episode of the series (which will be the subtitled version) is set for release on May 10th with price no confirmed yet.

Another interesting fact about the 'Drect2Drive' videos, is that they currently only support Windows computers with no support for iPods or DVD burning.

Source : Anime News Network

To read the full press release by Viz Media & IGN, click here.

They've shot themselves in the foot here, the fansubbers are so far infront anyone thats following the series is already 20+ episodes infront of these releases, especially if they're doing a weekly release. They need to pick up and do these pritty much a week after it airs in Japan.

On one hand these guys look like idiots as they're almost as slow as the music business when it comes to digital downloads. I mean come on, how long have fansubbers been at it? On the other hand they're deviously clever because they don't want to hurt DVD sales.

I actually wonder if big companies like Viz will ever be able to compete with the fansubbers. :?

Mr Brightside said:
I actually wonder if big companies like Viz will ever be able to compete with the fansubbers. :?

Not as long as people hold the attitude I would rather take something for free than pay my way.

butch-cassidy said:
Not as long as people hold the attitude I would rather take something for free than pay my way.
True. It'll never stop completely and there will always be people like that. I'd just like to think if there was a reasonable alternative then people would go for it.

They possibly might make it United States only.
Which would be quite stupid thing to do.
Also i think if they make it big by having a lot of Anime to download (subs) they should do like eCards or Vouchers for anime.

Mr Brightside said:
Look at it this way, I want to give them my moneies for Death Note, but they won't take my monies, for why don't they want my monies?

Ah well, at least there's fansubs...

Do you see the point at which they lost a sale and a rather good at that concidering 1 of my brittish pounds is worth 2 of thier amierican dollars?

Not as long as people hold the attitude I would rather take something for free than pay my way

True. It'll never stop completely and there will always be people like that. I'd just like to think if there was a reasonable alternative then people would go for it.

I been around on this planet for 30 years now and through talking to people around me, witnessing what people are like the world over, etc I have learnt the following things

People want things before others have them

People want to pay as little as possible for these things, and if possible get them for free

Sadly I'm no different

Back