What did you BUY today?

Picked up my order from "post office" that had Charizard and villager amiibos.

I think the villager look's bit odd but Charizard look's pretty darn nice.

There's less eye strain when using the 3D compared to the original 3DS but even with the facial tracking adjustments I still can't tolerate anything above 20% 3D

For maestro and anyone else who may be interested. The Japanese music market is a strange beast. A lot of record labels are owned by/have ties to consumer electronics companies (Sony is the most obvious example so I'll use it). Sony is one of the world's biggest manufacturers of CD players. It's therefore in Sony's best interests to stifle digital music as much as possible so that people still keep buying CDs and CD players. Notably, most attempts to get digital music off the ground in Japan have come from foreign companies (Apple/iTunes, Napster, Amazon). Napster Japan ended up having to close not long after it opened because of the lack of support from Japanese labels. It was 2012 before Sony Music Japan finally agreed to license their catalogue to iTunes Japan, which might not seem like a big deal, but it is.

The Japanese physical music market is a lot like the anime market over there. Discs are expensive (~£25 for an album at current exchange rates) and there'll be all sorts of limited edition goodies so the otaku have to buy all the albums. CDs are /incredibly/ cheap to produce, so the profit margins are very high. These profit margins shrink drastically with digital music, so...

The harsh anti-piracy laws which were passed in Japan a couple of years ago were largely due to pressure from the music and film industries, and they seem to partly have had the desired effect, i.e. that people are now so scared they might be downloading something illegal that they don't download anything. They don't seem to be going back to buying physical media though, as the physical music market has shrunk the past couple of years.

It's getting better though. There's a domestic streaming service called Recochoku which is owned by a consortium of music labels and mobile media companies, and that's taking off. Younger people are more interested in streaming than the previous generation. I'm genuinely curious as to how Apple Music will do in Japan. Companies are also starting to realise that people want more for their money if they're going to spend £25 on an album, so deluxe releases are becoming more common.

Ask me if you want to know more about any of it.

I have noticed more OP/ED themes popping up on itunes recently, by the Japanese companies themselves not the dodgy self uploaded nonsese. Hopefully they will sell well and more will keep being added.

st_owly said:
Ask me if you want to know more about any of it.
Thanks for the reply! It would be nice to see growing support for Apple Music the same way Kindle started eroding some of the barriers in front of eBooks, but I suppose we can't hope for miracles immediately. ^^;

Hibike! Euphonium OST. I have been eagerly awaiting this since listening to the band version of the OP that played at the end of the series.

From CDJapan
Persona 4 : Dancing All Night Crazy Value Pack

I like Persona 4, I like rhythm games, I like the P3/4 OST and Yukiko is best girl. Why would I not import this?
Here's hoping customs won't be a bitch and nab this despite being marked as a gift again this time.

Went on a littttle bit of a binge:

Light Novels:
A Certain Magical Index 1, 2 & 3
Log Horizon 1 & 2
Durarara!! 1
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon 1

Manga:
Food Wars 3, 4 & 5
Tiger & Bunny 6
xxxHolic Omnibus 6
Gyo 2-in-1 Edition
Vinland Saga 1

Pre-Ordered:
Monster Volumes 5, 6, 7 & 8
Attack On Titan 16
xxxHolic Omnibus 7
Yamada-Kun and the Seven Witches 3
Nisekoi 10

Bought Mafia Leggings from Black Milk.

I'm also being boring and going to buy some dog food, dog treats and more pods for my Dolce Gusto Machine :3

Oh and the Mother and I went halves on a dog grooming kit and we groomed the dogs back on Saturday hehe.

So, it turns out that no one told me that Madman released the "Ace Attorney" movie in Australia back in 2013. I finally found out and ordered a copy. I wish it received a blu-ray release like in Germany, but oh well.

Bought at Comic Con:

Sean Kelly's Autograph
Snorlax
Borderlands Psycho mask
Fables volume 1
Lannister tee

Bought online after Comic Con (lol):

Watamote
Ikki Tousen Xtreme Xecutor
Hellsing Ultimate 9 & 10

-Danielle- said:
Bought online after Comic Con (lol):

Watamote
Ikki Tousen Xtreme Xecutor
Hellsing Ultimate 9 & 10
All three of those are on my "want" list. I can appreciate your sense of taste in this selection.
But no matter how many times you may "pay your debts," you will never be able to make "Iron from Ice." ;)

I see what you did there Chaz, and I like it. Hehe.

Was pondering Watamote for a long while. After people talked about it on Saturday after MCM I knew I had to have it. The main character will probably remind me of me haha. Actually after a decent photo of her to become my new avatar :p :)

Back