What did you BUY today?

After buying Fallout 4 for PC and having it run like garbage on even on the medium setting (Can get 40-60fps a lot of the time but occasionally drops to sub 15 when fighting which is very frustrating) I decided to bite the bullet and order a new Graphics Card. My old GTX 660 was getting a bit long in the tooth and and so I jumped one generation and one model up and got myself a GTX 770 after seeing a video of a guy running Fallout 4 on Ultra at 60fps. I'm not expecting it to be that good (The guy had an overclocked CPU which I don't) but I'd be happy with at least high. I hope this card lasts me a little longer than my 660 which I only got 2 years out of. Hopefully cards with 3 and 4gb of VRAM are cheaper by the time I need to upgrade again next time. Managed to grab it for £120 with free delivery used from eBay. I've never bought a used GPU before but hopefully it should be okay and by buying used I managed to save myself about £40.

IncendiaryLemon said:
After buying Fallout 4 for PC and having it run like garbage on even on the medium setting (Can get 40-60fps a lot of the time but occasionally drops to sub 15 when fighting which is very frustrating) I decided to bite the bullet and order a new Graphics Card. My old GTX 660 was getting a bit long in the tooth and and so I jumped one generation and one model up and got myself a GTX 770 after seeing a video of a guy running Fallout 4 on Ultra at 60fps. I'm not expecting it to be that good (The guy had an overclocked CPU which I don't) but I'd be happy with at least high. I hope this card lasts me a little longer than my 660 which I only got 2 years out of. Hopefully cards with 3 and 4gb of VRAM are cheaper by the time I need to upgrade again next time. Managed to grab it for £120 with free delivery used from eBay. I've never bought a used GPU before but hopefully it should be okay and by buying used I managed to save myself about £40.
I'm running a 770 and it still does me well for the most part (****** ports like Arkham Knight and Black Ops 3 aside). Apparently the game doesn't even fill 2gb of VRAM on max settings so that shouldn't be an issue either. What CPU are you running? If I recall correctly the game uses the same engine as Skyrim, which in turn was more CPU intensive than GPU. My friend is running an i5 3570k and 7950 with the game at max and states it easily runs above 60fps.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Intel 3570, same as your friend. Not the K model but (Going off the top of my head) I'm pretty sure that only means it can be overclocked.
Pretty sure you can overclock a non "k" model, it's just less straightforward. I'm running a 3570k too but I've never felt the need to OC honestly.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Intel 3570, same as your friend. Not the K model but (Going off the top of my head) I'm pretty sure that only means it can be overclocked.

Sounds GPU bound but would advocate increasing your confidence that it is not CPU...

Start > run > perfmon.
replicate the issue.
if CPU sat at 100% during the slow performance. it is CPU.
If CPU sat at 100% / Number of Cores in your CPU. It is CPU single threaded performance.
If CPU didn't do much it's more likely to be GPU.

It's a quick test, not conclusive by any means, and won't rule out things like disk and memory performance, but worth a quick check IMHO.

I'll give that a go. Seeing as my GPU is quite old and Mangaranga's friend seems to be running the game with a better GPU it's probably that. I've already bought the GPU now so I hope that's the case :p

So I did as you said and I think it's safe to say it's the GPU. The FPS was pretty good in the area I was in but it was dipping in places but it's nowhere near 100.

8MDoPSD.png

Braun Series 3 3080 Men's Electric Foil Shaver Wet/Dry from Amazon
Gross Point Blank Steelbook (Region B Blu-ray)
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4 SEN via a top-up card)*
Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4 SEN via a top-up card)*

* I don't normally buy digital games but a few of the longer games are worthwhile as options to play while I have a different game disc on the machine. Also they were both less than £20 each.

Black Milk has an up to 50% off sale so bagged the Mucha Touchdown and Mermaid Straps dress :)

I also bought a Berserk racerback vest off Red Bubble as had a $10 off code.

Oh and I bought a Bill Skinner bumble bee ring and another Beachbody workout programme called the Brazil Butt Lift. Lmao. They emailed me a deal on it so I couldn't refuse :p

Buzzkillington said:
Ordered a 2tb HDD to replace the 500gb one in my PS4 as I was getting real sick of having to delete things to install new games.
I finally got around to doing this thanks to the sales. Also ordered an external 5TB drive for mass storage.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Bought Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 2 on Steam. Only £6.90. Thank you Steam Sale! I need to stop spending money now, that's the third thing I've bought today :p
Don't accidentally buy Fairy Fencer F, too! Or do, I'm not sure.

/devil on shoulder

ilmaestro said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Bought Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 2 on Steam. Only £6.90. Thank you Steam Sale! I need to stop spending money now, that's the third thing I've bought today :p
Don't accidentally buy Fairy Fencer F, too! Or do, I'm not sure.

/devil on shoulder

It's on my wishlist now, maybe next time ;)

Bought my only Black Friday item, (and on a Sunday, no less) Season 4 of Game of Thrones. My annual Game of Thrones rewatch in anticipation of the new season is coming up soon and I had yet to pick up S4 on BD. Got it for £19, which isn't bad really. Really need to stop buying things now...

IncendiaryLemon said:
Bought my only Black Friday item, (and on a Sunday, no less) Season 4 of Game of Thrones. My annual Game of Thrones rewatch in anticipation of the new season is coming up soon and I had yet to pick up S4 on BD. Got it for £19, which isn't bad really. Really need to stop buying things now...
I just grabbed this deal. Thanks for the post! I share your feeling about buying too much. December was meant to be a quiet month, but I've ended up buying Splatoon w/Amiibo and Game of Thrones Season 4 from Amazon, Xenoblade Chronicles X CE from Nintendo's store and Highschool of the Dead CE/Maoyu/Little Busters Refrain from Rightstuf. Not so quiet anymore!

Same, in this last week I've bought The Eccentric Family, GOT Season 4, Phantom Requiem for the Phantom, the Chu 2 Koi LE, Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 2, and Fruits Basket, all completely unplanned. Need to slow down or I'll be broke :lol:

Back