What did you BUY today?

Ordered myself a birthday present.

952d5131.jpg

Decided I'd rather have this than duplicate DVD's.

Well either I just got the last one or I'll be recieving an e-mail in the morning saying "Sorry, this item is now out of stock" as it just disappeared from the catologue of the site I got it from. Am praying to my Bonkura shrine (surely another form of the triple deity, no?) that the latter is not the case.

Very nice, I've been tempted to get an Asa Shigure figure for a while now.
The less perverted of the two, in the brown. Gotta hold off for a while though.
Bank account needs some serious recouperation time.

Goodies I got from London were:

Gifts - Necklace ("Step-mum"), 3-picture set of London (Dad), Wire-machine warrior (Ryo), Britain flag shotglass and Royal Guard bottle opener (Friends).

T-shirts - 1 LTD Ed artist shirt (Royal academy), 1 Blue shirt with logo, 2 funny shirts (sex based "Position Wanted!" and PC geek "Evolution")

Others - 2 Art books (Body Worlds and summer Royal academy), Pink Lemonade jug, spikey necklace and 5 Manga pics - 1 original snake painting, 4 anime cells/2 framed). Gave Ryo a CCS cell within the lot.

Definately a spending spree, but well worth it!!

What are you going to play with that little piece of kit?
I assume you have a computer capable of running newer simulations- I have to stick to the older stuff myself, for the sake of frame rates.

I bought Windows 7. I don't really like Windows much so the special offer for a full version of Home Premium for playing TF2 on from time to time at £44.97 was about the right price to stop my current 7 RC install from grinding to a halt once the trial is over.

Have to buy Snow Leopard in a couple of months too. It's a busy year for operating system upgrades!

R

Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin album
Megadeth "The System Has Failed" tee

8)

Yeaaaah mon. Never seen 'Deth tee's in HMV before. I saw it and it was a SCEEEEEEEOOOOOOORE moment.

Bought Secret of Monkey Island: SE yesterday for €9 on Steam and got me a €15 card for iTunes (which I've used to buy the Resident Evil: Degeneration iPhone game so far) :]

CitizenGeek said:
Bought Secret of Monkey Island: SE yesterday for €9 on Steam
Have you played it before CG? I envy these people who are just now playing it for the first time. I only forgot two puzzles in the entire game, which made for a pretty quick replay. It still delivers everything I'd want from a Monkey Island remake though, and I hope they get around to doing LeChuck's Revenge in the same manner.

Also, you were ripped off there. At today's rates that's an extra 78p more than we're paying over here. :p

I'm one of those people who've never played Monkey Island, but I am tempted to download the tarted-up version from Steam. Thing is, I don't find the humour in Sam & Max and Grim Fandango remotely funny, and I fear that Monkey Island will fall similarly flat. Does it have a decent plot or is it all just a load of silliness?

^ Do it man. DO IT! Monkey Island >>> Sam & Max. It's pretty silly, but with a decent plot. Y'know, like Grim Fandango.

But wait, you don't like Grim Fandango? Hmm... that's odd for someone I've so far suspected of having taste (most of the time). How can we test this?

If ten minutes of your time is worth less than £6.99, check this gameplay vid out. It's the game being played from the beginning, and cleverly doesn't show you how to do one of the puzzles:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ycBnTsR9dIE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ycBnTsR9dIE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

You guys ever played Simon the Sorcerer? That was one of my favourite point and click adventure games ever and in the first one he was voiced by Chris Barrie (Rimmer).

They need to bring back good old style adventure games but drop all the 3D crap because for the most part it doesn't enhance the gameplay and it ages much much worse. What I would give for another Monkey Island game in the style of The Curse of Monkey Island.

A Simon the Sorcerer demo was the furthest I got. Probably because the Amiga was going a little out of fashion by the time I had one (games shops didn't tend to stock many games for it) and I got such a massive bundle of games with my secondhand A600 that I probably only bought about four new games myself.

This new SE is directly built on top of the original so you can switch back and forth between them if you want, so while it looks great it's nowhere near the level of Curse, which is a work of art. Escape does look absolutely terrible now. Hell, Escape looks worse than Grim Fandango which was released two years earlier. The character designs from Curse seem to be the definitive versions now though, which I'm pleased about.

I'm now playing Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis, which is one old adventure game I never played. Must be worth £2.99. Beneath A Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen were two other old favourites of mine.

It looks as though Monkey Island has a lot of charm, but it's probably too goofy for my liking. I prefer my adventure games to have a more serious story (Broken Sword, The Longest Journey, Syberia), otherwise I can't find the motivation to play them.

I tried to like Grim Fandango but the controls and obscure puzzles killed my interest. I wasn't in tune with the game's logic and found myself continually looking at a walkthrough. That's not much fun.

Back