What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

haven't heard of this one before, but I love the artwork
edit: ooooh it's by the Girl's Last Tour mangaka! gotta look in to it now, looks like 100% my sort of thing
The manga is great and pretty trippy. Kinda reminds me of Humanity has declined but even more unhinged and complex. The manga is actually already finished, but unfortunately no one has licensed it for an English release.

haven't heard of this one before, but I love the artwork
edit: ooooh it's by the Girl's Last Tour mangaka! gotta look in to it now, looks like 100% my sort of thing
The manga is great and pretty trippy. Kinda reminds me of Humanity has declined but even more unhinged and complex. The manga is actually already finished, but unfortunately no one has licensed it for an English release.

I like the look of Shimeji Simulation too :)

2023 HAUL VER 12.4
(note: images are hosted via AUKN for the meantime)

We got a few more packages! Since Wednesday I've been on annual leave and have two more work days before the holiday break, but I did manage to catch a cold just before the leave started. I am recovering but it will take a few more days to get back to normal completely.

IMG_20231202_100518.jpg
IMG_20231213_145432.jpg

Last Wednesday I received two new Blu-ray releases from distributor 88 Films to continue their 88 Asia range. Ivan Lai's The Blue Jean Monster (着牛仔裤的钟馗) was considered by some to be a Category III title but in reality its a CAT II rated film. Nevertheless it's an out of nowhere film and I am curious to check it out.

Wellson Chin's The Inspector Wears Skirts (霸王花) is the first of many instalments in this action female-led franchise. The distributor did confirm they will be releasing the second & third films but separately because they weren't allowed to release a box set like a few other franchises did in the past few years.

On Friday I finally received my Sentai Filmworks Black Friday haul, which I ordered from their direct store across two batches. Both batches were sent to Stackry, consolidated and arrived together. It did take longer than usual but that was because of the holiday season.

This batch consists of various anime, whether they were popular or niche and either a complete collection or a re-release. There's also a few Maiden Japan titles bundled in because all of those titles are going to be discontinued (some may be re-released under the Sentai name).

IMG_20231206_145317.jpg
IMG_20231216_100502.jpg

Basquash!
Animated by Satelight in 2009, directed by Shōji Kawamori & Hidekazu Satō and an original IP by Shōji Kawamori & Thomas Romain. Heard about this series for a long time as it's been added to various streaming platforms here and there, and then eventually it was released on home video. Never knew exactly what it was and it turns out to be a sports mecha series co-produced by the Macross creator and Ōban Star-Racers creator. Maiden Japan released the Blu-ray in June 2019.

CANAAN
Animated by P.A. Works in 2009, directed by Masahiro Andō and based on a scenario written by Type-Moon for the visual novel 428: Shibuya Scramble. If you haven't played 428 you really should and if you did you may recognise a scenario by Type-Moon which was set in the middle east. The anime takes that scenario and gives us an original story to it (wiki mentions it takes place 2 years after 428). I've been aware of CANAAN as far as MVM putting it out on DVD but it was nice for Sentai to re-release it as it was one of their earlier Blu-rays which would have been out of print at this point. Sentai Filmworks re-released the Blu-ray in January 2022.

Girls Beyond the Wasteland
Animated by Project No.9 in 2016, directed by Takuya Satō and based on a visual novel that was released at the same time. I didn't pay much attention to this series and so I decided to take a look at the synopsis and figured it's worth a shot. MVM did release this series on Blu-ray but Sentai re-released it. Sentai Filmworks re-released the Blu-ray in February 2023.

Initial D Legend Theatrical Collection
Animated by Sanzigen & LIDEN FILMS between 2014-2016, directed by Masamitsu Hidaka & Tomohito Naka and based on a manga. I've always been interested in checking out the Initial D anime but legal streaming wise its mostly incomplete as Funimation never licensed the final parts of the original series. Eventually we got a three film remake of sorts and Sentai picked it up. MVM once again did release the films but it was on sale for super cheap. Sentai Filmworks released the Blu-ray collection in September 2019.

K-On! Ultimate Collection
Animated by Kyoto Animation between 2009-2011, directed by Naoko Yamada and based on a manga. The one big KyoAni franchise that blew up a decade ago I never managed to watch so it's weird to finally own this iconic slice of life series. This ultimate collection consists of both seasons of the anime series as well as the film. Now again this does have a Blu-ray release by Funimation UK but they ended up re-using decade old discs than go for Sentai's newer discs. It has been going in and out of stock (with some suggesting it was going OOP) but I made sure I got it during this recent sale. Sentai Filmworks released the Blu-ray collection in December 2019.

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Animated by Production I.G. in 2007, directed by Kenji Kamiyama and based on a novel. A classic 00s series that I've been aware of ever since it had a multi-part Blu-ray release by Media Blasters and was eventually rescued by Viz then Sentai with better results. Feels weird to also own this one but looking forward to it. Again MVM did release this on Blu-ray but it was on sale for super cheap. Sentai Filmworks released the Blu-ray in September 2020.

IMG_20231216_101059.jpg
IMG_20231216_101722.jpg

Natsu no Arashi!
Animated by SHAFT in 2009, directed by Akiyuki Shinbo & Shin Oonuma and based on a manga. This is a complete blind buy though it is a shame Maiden Japan only released the first season than both for home video. I read the synopsis and it looked like a fun series to watch and now I just realised writing this up that SHAFT are involved so it's probably got head tilts as well. Maiden Japan released the Blu-ray in November 2019.

The Qwazer of Stigmata
Animated by Hoods Entertainment between 2010-2011, directed by Hiraku Kaneko and based on Hiroyuki Yoshino's manga. This is one of those anime if it had aired in the current season it would have been treated the same way as Interspecies Reviewers and Redo of Healer. Essentially a fanservice heavy series with questionable stuff. This collection includes both seasons of the anime. Despite that I've been curious to check this out for years and was hoping for Sentai to re-release it, but it looks like it's not going to get the treatment at this point. Fortunately it is one of the first to be geolocked. Sentai Filmworks released the Blu-ray in January 2015.

She, the Ultimate Weapon
Animated by GONZO in 2002, directed by Mitsuko Kase and based on a manga. Also known as Saikano, this classic anime series was re-released by Sentai over the years and eventually made available on Blu-ray, though this is one of those 'not so great' upscales like Gankutsou was but better than PAL discs. Manga UK did release this on DVD decades back but the 2005 OVAs did not make it onto Sentai's license so it's best to hold onto those old discs if you want a complete franchise. Sentai Filmworks released the Blu-ray in October 2021.

This Art Club Has a Problem!
Animated by Feel in 2016, directed by Kei Oikawa and based on a manga. I've been told that this series is pretty decent and it was another one of the Maiden Japan titles that would eventually be discontinued. The best part was that it was only $3.99 in the sale so it was a bargain to check out. For a moment I though it was sold out but thankfully it wasn't the case. Maiden Japan released the Blu-ray in September 2019.

To Love Ru Complete Collection
Animated by XEBEC (Sunrise Beyond) between 2008-2017, directed by Takao Kato & Atsushi Ōtsuki, and based on two manga series. Much like K-On! I have been fully aware and been meaning to check out this iconic fan service Weekly Shonen Jump series for years but the biggest hurdle was lack of legal streaming in the UK. The series is also ecchi which would mean broadcast masters for streaming if it were available. Thankfully Sentai released them on Blu-ray over the years but waiting until now was the best opportunity since the series did get a few re-releases including an English dub. This collection consists of To Love Ru, Motto To Love Ru, To Love Ru Darkness and To Love Ru Darkness 2nd. The sad part is the OVAs that were mainly tied to the manga volumes are not licensed (but can always be picked up later). Sentai Filmworks re-released the Blu-ray in April 2023.

Yuyushiki
Animated by Kinema Citrus in 2013, directed by Kaori and based on a manga. When I first got into anime and started getting used to the idea of simulcast watches this comedy series is one that I did notice but I never bothered to check it out. Now after all of these years I am finally able to own it on Blu-ray. Sentai Filmworks re-released the Blu-ray in February 2022.

IMG_20231216_134919.jpg
IMG_20231216_135929.jpg
IMG_20231216_141833.jpg

Radiance Films have been releasing a wide range of films throughout this past year. They're similar to Arrow Academy to which they distribute films that are often overlooked or were once popular but don't yet have a good home video release. I have been picking up their Asian Cinema range but I decided to look into their Italian films. They have released two big box sets earlier in the year and both were on sale on their official website and from there I finally ordered them.

Cosa Nostra: Franco Nero in three Mafia Tales by Damiano Damiani is a collection of films with the central theme of Italian mafia but all of them featured actor Franco Nero. This box set (which is 80% sold out) includes the films The Day of the Owl (Il giorno della civetta) from 1968, The Case Is Closed, Forget It (L'istruttoria è chiusa: dimentichi) from 1972, and How to Kill a Judge (Perché si uccide un magistrato) from 1974. Also included is a 120 page book and reversible artwork for each film.

Commedia all'italiana: Three Films by Dino Risi is a collection of films focused on the Italian comedy genre which was pretty big back in the day. This box set includes the films Il Vedovo from 1959, Il Mattatore from 1959, and Il Sorpasso from 1962. Also included is an 80 page book and reversible artwork for each film.

I have a habit of trying to get everything whenever I start to venture onto a specific medium, so for this I would like to try and only focus on the limited edition box sets (since there's only a few here and there) and the single pressings only. The films will still be available in standard edition sets which are regular Amaray cases with no reversible artwork or booklets. Now I can always change my mind but its something I will review later.

I received three more pre-order titles from Rightstuf today, from my final order I placed through them back in September:

I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss
Peter Grill and the Philosopher's Time -Super Extra- Collector's Edition Steelbook
A Couple of Cuckoos Volume 2

All I have remaining from that order now is the third Eureka Hi Evolution movie, which releases on 12/26.

villainessgrillcuckoos1.jpg

villainessgrillcuckoos2.jpg

2023 HAUL VER 12.5
(note: images are hosted via AUKN for the meantime)

Just one package today since today is also another one of my annual leave days (I'll be back to work for two days for tomorrow & Wednesday, then back on annual leave from Thursday onwards).

IMG_20231202_100518.jpg

Today Mobile Fighter G Gundam Part 2 has finally arrived from Anime Limited. This covers the second half of the series and feels weird to finally own what some consider to be one of the big non-UC Gundam shows out there. Like Gundam Wing, Gundam 00 and Gundam SEED, this uses the Rightstuf discs and has an English dub.

You can view more photos & specs on my blog for both collector's edition parts. Gundam Build Fighters Part 2 has been dispatched today so I am hoping it will arrive either on Thursday or Friday this week.

Back