What did you RECEIVE today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mangaranga said:
Canaan from Play

I've only put it in and watched the OP and the PAL speedup is already annoying the hell out of me. Might just watch the BDrips.

They have sent me that on Tuesday last week and im still waiting for it :evil: Plus Tales of Vesperia too ggrrrrr

Is that speedup really that noticeable? I dont have much MVM things but from what i have, comparing to Manga uk, MVM seems to have low video quality. In fact, Im really surprised by the good quality on recent releases like Shiki for example. I have a samsung led '40 connected with hdmi cable to a dvd player.

bakum4tsu said:
Mangaranga said:
Canaan from Play

I've only put it in and watched the OP and the PAL speedup is already annoying the hell out of me. Might just watch the BDrips.

They have sent me that on Tuesday last week and im still waiting for it :evil: Plus Tales of Vesperia too ggrrrrr

Is that speedup really that noticeable? I dont have much MVM things but from what i have, comparing to Manga uk, MVM seems to have low video quality. In fact, Im really surprised by the good quality on recent releases like Shiki for example. I have a samsung led '40 connected with hdmi cable to a dvd player.
As a BD, or in worst case scenario NTSC DVD only buyer, I'm not used to it, and I don't want to get used to it either.
It's VERY noticable, and is partially the reason why UK companies barely ever see my money nowadays (as an example, I'm interested in Last Exile, but I'm not going to buy Manga's PAL DVDs, I'll eventually get Funi's instead).
PAL/NTSC become irrelevant years and years ago, so why are we still stuck with the crappier format?
Admittedly it's nowhere near as much of an annoyance as Sony/Nintendo still only offering inferior PAL50 games on their digital stores though, but it's still annoying knowing I am watching something sped up, and not the way it was intended to be watched.

How far away from your screen do you sit when you watch stuff?
No offence, but I fail to see how anyone can find DVDs on a '40 HD screen good quality, especially with interlacing, compression artifacts and washed out colours.
If it's animated in SD then fine, but I fail to understand how people watch a show animated @720p or higher (especially stuff like Children Who Chase Lost Voices and Wolf Children which are animated @1080p) in 480i/576i on a 1080p screen.

The reason MVM products might not look as good might be because a large amount of their products are older shows. They also seem to be releasing quite a few titles using masters created by Siren Visual lately, and maybe they aren't as good as the Madman PAL masters used for Manga releases. I don't know, just the first thing which came to mind. I can't really comment as Canaan is the only recent MVM release I have and it's going to look a bit naff regardless due to being animated @720i.

As a side note, Canaan took 5 days to get to me from Play, which is incredibly slow for me compared to most other retailers.

@Mangaranga

Im away 2 to 3 metres from the tv, not even 3 for sure. Well the imagem is not excelent for sure, but i think its quite good but im noticing these kind of quality with anime done in hd. What i mean is, if a show aired in sd in japan, i can notice right away his quality when the dvd is on but if its an hd one, like shiki for example, i can see cleary the good difference.

Yes you can see "interlacing, compression artifacts" i guess. I dont know their translation to my language but i can see some stuff that should be there, mainly when the imagem is moving if you know what i mean. Regarding colors, cant complain at all in Shiki's case, or, as i remember well, Evangelion movies, which i think they were superb regarding quality. I wasnt expecting something so good in dvd.

Anyway, i'm not a picky person regarding conversions or whatever, so i dont care to be honest. If in general has good quality, im happy with it.

Regading Play, yeah they are slow as hell nowadays. Im even getting worried already to be honest whether is they are getting here or not. Its been over a year since I've bought something from them and now Im waiting for canaan, trigun movie and tales of vesperia. Around 25 € lost somewhere in europe. :|

@bakum4tsu

You live outside the UK right?

Free Delivery outside of the UK

Our FREE export delivery usually takes 7-10 days to the following countries

Andorra
Austria
Belgium
Cyprus
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Gibraltar
Greece*
Greenland
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Malta
Monaco
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
San Marino
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Vatican
From here.
It'll be fine, don't worry about it.

I can't remember the last time I used Play either, and was surprised when I found that they had sent Canaan in a nice small box with padding in it.

Mangaranga said:
bakum4tsu said:
Mangaranga said:
Canaan from Play

As a BD, or in worst case scenario NTSC DVD only buyer, I'm not used to it, and I don't want to get used to it either.
It's VERY noticable, and is partially the reason why UK companies barely ever see my money nowadays (as an example, I'm interested in Last Exile, but I'm not going to buy Manga's PAL DVDs, I'll eventually get Funi's instead).
PAL/NTSC become irrelevant years and years ago, so why are we still stuck with the crappier format?
Admittedly it's nowhere near as much of an annoyance as Sony/Nintendo still only offering inferior PAL50 games on their digital stores though, but it's still annoying knowing I am watching something sped up, and not the way it was intended to be watched.

How far away from your screen do you sit when you watch stuff?
No offence, but I fail to see how anyone can find DVDs on a '40 HD screen good quality, especially with interlacing, compression artifacts and washed out colours.
If it's animated in SD then fine, but I fail to understand how people watch a show animated @720p or higher (especially stuff like Children Who Chase Lost Voices and Wolf Children which are animated @1080p) in 480i/576i on a 1080p screen.

The reason MVM products might not look as good might be because a large amount of their products are older shows. They also seem to be releasing quite a few titles using masters created by Siren Visual lately, and maybe they aren't as good as the Madman PAL masters used for Manga releases. I don't know, just the first thing which came to mind. I can't really comment as Canaan is the only recent MVM release I have and it's going to look a bit naff regardless due to being animated @720i.

As a side note, Canaan took 5 days to get to me from Play, which is incredibly slow for me compared to most other retailers.
To be fair with Nintendo, after lots of people complained on Miiverse about Balloon Trip on the Wii U Virtual Console being 50hz, they released the next VC game, F-Zero as 60hz. So I imagine that will be the norm now.

Personally, there are only a few titles where I have noticed the PAL speed up - the most recent being Strike Witches 2, but that was only during the OP/ED themes.

Mangaranga said:
@bakum4tsu

You live outside the UK right?

Free Delivery outside of the UK

Our FREE export delivery usually takes 7-10 days to the following countries

Andorra
Austria
Belgium
Cyprus
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Gibraltar
Greece*
Greenland
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Malta
Monaco
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
San Marino
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Vatican
From here.
It'll be fine, don't worry about it.

I can't remember the last time I used Play either, and was surprised when I found that they had sent Canaan in a nice small box with padding in it.

Thanks.

Never had problems with them and bought a lot of stuff from them in the last years but the time they take lead me into amazon and since amazon can deliver at your door, including give me a call before delivering, never tried play again. Just did now cause they had good prices on that crazy Monday. But thanks for looking for it. eheh

I'll be waiting because there's the only thing i can do eheh :)

A decent sized totoro plushie, a pack of columbia blend Starbucks Via and a T-Rex plastic toy who's mouth moves when you push it's arm. Oh and a slice of chocolate cake. All off the boy :D

Another free tax disc for my >20 mpg 3-litre monstrosity with no catalytic converter which is theoretically capable of things like this (though it's going to need a bit of a tune up if it's going to win any hillclimbs any time soon).

It feels so wrong, but it feels so right.

I got a logictec G930 wireless headset ^.^ it a real upgrade from like my £3 ones I normally get so snazzy. and I gots a new plush, Carbunkle she so cute her name is CARBY! ^.^

My very first EVER Quarter Pounder meal from McDonalds. The boy couldnt believe I've never had one so he settled it today on our lunch hour. The cheese is better than that on a Big Mac, the onions on it are nommy as hell, the beef feels and tastes better but, I think the Big Mac is still going to win for me. Why?...the sauce. Ha!

So I managed to trade my way into a playset of Wasteland (a Magic: The Gathering card) today. My collection feels a lot more awesome now.

-Danielle- said:
My very first EVER Quarter Pounder meal from McDonalds. The boy couldnt believe I've never had one so he settled it today on our lunch hour. The cheese is better than that on a Big Mac, the onions on it are nommy as hell, the beef feels and tastes better but, I think the Big Mac is still going to win for me. Why?...the sauce. Ha!
The solution? Just order a Quarter Pounder with Big Mac sauce on!

Received today...

Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion (Blu-ray).
Genshiken Complete Collection (Seasons 1-2 + OVA).

UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie season 3+4. Looks my multi region hack worked on my DVD player so I'm a happy bunny. Just need to wait for seasons 1+2 to arrive so I can lose myself in a fantasy realm of a crazy cat maid army with awesome firepower! :roll: .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back