What do you think of Anime Societies?

Fellistowe

Kiznaiver
Hi guys!

As some of you may be aware, I'm currently the Society Secretary for one of the larger anime societies in the UK, and since I'm quite new to both the job and the "hardcore" anime scene I've set myself the little project of exploring the various facets of UK anime to see what I can learn.
Think of it as an unofficial study of the current state of play of the UK anime scene ;)
I've spoken to Paul, and he has very kindly given me the green light to start poking you all for information.

The first topic I'd like to ask is about the UK Anime Clubs and Societies.

How many of you are part of any anime clubs? Are most of you aware they even exist?
Are you interested in joining one, or do you think they are all just a bunch of creepy hardcore otaku's? (p.s. yes, some of us are ;) )

I'd really appreciate it if any of you would give your thoughts and opinions on this; please be completely honest and say whatever you think 'cause I want to hear the bad just as much as the good! (don't worry about insulting me, I'm easy going in that respect, and I already know what we're like!)

I thank you all in advance for any and all opinions you can provide! *bow*

Unfortunately there are no clubs or societies near to me to become a member.

At one point I was going to join up with the anime society in Bath as its the closest to me but due to working shifts I could never make any of there meetings.

Personally I'd love to be part of a group to share anime views on as none of my mates are fans and even my girlfriend doesn't like to watch it. I'd especially like to be one of a group at cons and events as walking around on my own can get lonely and boring at times which sucks.

Maybe I could start a Creepy Otaku club, would love to go to events in a crowd or even have a group of people to watch the latest eps or dvds with.

I tried looking into to one but...I'll be honest they were embrassing :oops:
guess i don't really like talking about it in public :p

Anime societys as we know it are dead and gone. With the comming of faster series release dates and fansubs on the internet the appeal of sitting in a dark room watching something that most people have already seen starts to vanish.

Anime societys were founded on a group of people coming together to watch a VHS that was extremely hard to come by at the time. Since we have moved on from there it's more about the social aspect that people will be drawn to, if any club is stuck in the ways of just running a screening every week then they aren't going to last long.

If a club wants to survive these days they will have to offer more to keep people interested. Things such as arranging trips to the cons, having meets/bbq's/drinking session etc even having anime and manga workshops. These are all vital for a club in this day and age to thrive, thats what i've found out from my past experiences.

Basically many people goto societys and clubs like these to make friends with people that share the same interests, you cant do this sitting in a dark, smelly room for 2 hours watching anime.

I've been part of one for 2 years now at UCLAN. My last year was on-off because of crap lesson times and the fact I didn't have a licence to drive back and forth (hopefully that will change before the new "year").
It was pretty good actually. People talked to each other, but mainly watched anime. The turn-out was random, sometimes few but there was usually a normal/good population there. Even if I didn't speak out much, I felt comfortable being there. That didn't mean I didn't have my odd shout out. :D

So, overall, I've had a good experience with them.
If a club wants to survive these days they will have to offer more to keep people interested. Things such as arranging trips to the cons, having meets/bbq's/drinking session etc even having anime and manga workshops. These are all vital for a club in this day and age to thrive, thats what i've found out from my past experiences.
They did that at ours. Things like Japan Day, or conventions were invitational, and we had parties at christmas etc. Most of the more social people did organise to go to a bar afterwards, but it didn't take my fancy.

Also they did give out advice to anyone interested in manga art, since some were doing illistration courses etc. But it was rare for people to ask such things.

I've never been part of an anime club, though thats parshly because this area which is in the middle of nowhere doesn't have one. Maybe i will take a look when i move into civilisation in the upcoming months but i don't know, it probably depends on how 'otaku' they seem to be or what kind of events they would have every now and then to keep it lively. i would prefer something that would do things rather than just sit about and talk/watch anime/manga, sure that can be fun, but when you go to one of these clubs, i would at least expect more activities than just that.

oh my! i never knew there were such things! like i wanna join one but id better get a partner who can drive or a friend who could drive me there!

yeah i failed my lessons...apparently im psychotic ¬_¬

but they sound so GEEKY! but kool at the same time can you list a few groups and their where abouts if you know any?

^_^

How many of you are part of any anime clubs? I'm not part of one and probably never will be.

Are most of you aware they even exist? Yes, closest one to me is some University one in Liverpool. ;/

Are you interested in joining one, or do you think they are all just a bunch of creepy hardcore otaku's? Depends, if they're all full of weaboos who think Vic Mignogna and Edward Elric are hot, that's a definate no, but if they're some what decent and like talking about [and mocking] anime, then sure.

I don't really see the point to be honest, havent forums all but wiped out clubs now? Only vocational subjects like mechanics or other things which are "hands on" have any need for clubs now. Try explaining a engine to someone over the internet and you're going to have problems, but discussing anime? I have tea and a comfy sofa at my house, why leave!?! :D

Sure its fun to watch anime with someone but why bother wasting petrol money to get somewhere to talk to maybe 10 people when you can sign onto a forum and get the opinions of 100s? Course you do miss out on actually meeting someone face to face, tis up to you.

I'm a recluse anyway, not much of a speaker, more of a words guy myself :oops:

xx[chii]xx said:
Id love to join one but the only ones close to me are for over 18's :(

Depends how young you look :)
Most soc's have to advertise that their membership have to be either over 16 or 18, to cover both insurance liability (you have to buy special insurance for under 16's and most socs are covered under the insurance policy of the place they meet at), and to cover showing advisories (i.e. 15 rating, 18 rating etc).
It's not likely to be too rigorously enforced though, since socs always want new members :D
If you really are interested your best bet is to contact one of the soc committee and ask if you'd be allowed to go. Worst they can say is no ;)

Fellistowe said:
xx[chii]xx said:
Id love to join one but the only ones close to me are for over 18's :(

Depends how young you look :)
Most soc's have to advertise that their membership have to be either over 16 or 18, to cover both insurance liability (you have to buy special insurance for under 16's and most socs are covered under the insurance policy of the place they meet at), and to cover showing advisories (i.e. 15 rating, 18 rating etc).
It's not likely to be too rigorously enforced though, since socs always want new members :D
If you really are interested your best bet is to contact one of the soc committee and ask if you'd be allowed to go. Worst they can say is no ;)

yeah that is a point, but to be honest i dont wana really be the only 15 year old amoung lots of 20 year olds, also of the two clubs i have found in my area they both seem to meet in a pub :l

Liquid Skin said:
I don't really see the point to be honest, haven't forums all but wiped out clubs now? Only vocational subjects like mechanics or other things which are "hands on" have any need for clubs now.

Gee, I hope not, I'd be out of a job then! :) (heh, well second job, I do have a "real" job, but seem to spend more time doing my soc duties than I do my paid job!)

Thank you all so far for you thoughts and comments, Im finding it all really useful! Anyone who's not posted yet, please give your thoughts!

At the risk of sending you all to sleep, I'd like to give an account of my own journey into anime geekdom
(EDIT: I'd like to say "quick" account, but I'm kinda getting carried away typing here...)

Much like most of you I had been into anime for quite a while, but only casually and not even realising it. The first anime I ever watched was The Moomins (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and I had no concept what "anime" was). Going through my teens I caught anime on and off, but never realised it for what it was (it was all just really cool cartoons to me) My brothers were really into it though, so I experienced the great anime boom of the 80's and 90's mostly from the sidelines.
It wasn't until I caught NGE and Nadesico on Sci-Fi that my anime fires were lit, and that's when I started buying anime (hmm, something like 5 or 6 years ago now). Anime fandom was out there, but its something I never explored 'cause it all seemed so geeky. Fansub was something I'd never heard of and it never occured to me such stuff existed. I bought my DVD's and watched them in dub, and it was good enough for me.
I'm naturally a shy quiet guy, so the thought of hardcore nerds really intimidated me. Even an anime forum like this one seemed really nerdy and intimidating.
It wasn't until a relationship breakup a couple of years ago that I considered joining NAMSoc. I was geting frustrated that there seemed to be so many anime titles to buy in the US, and I didn't know what was good or not. I'd been aware of NAMSoc about 4 years before by seeing a flyer in one of Nottingham's comic shops, so I dug it out and found their website.
I looked on their forums and it certainly was very intimidating. They were discussing all these shows I'd never head of (and at the time I thought I knew a fair bit about anime because I bought Newtype USA and imported all my anime from america) and had lots of strong views about different types of anime. Once I read for a while thought it seemed that for the most part they were all kinda friendly (and they were saying they liked Kare Kano, which I'm a huge fan of, so they couldn't be that bad).
So I posted a little introduction, and got some friendly "hi, welcome, come along" replies. heh, I even emailed the soc president (Rob) and asked what the soc was like and if everyone was really "cliquey" (strangely enough he never replied to that...)
And so I ended up going along.
A couple of the people who had greeted me on the forums had said they turned up early to set things up, so I thought I'd turn up early as well and meet them while it wasn't overly busy and too scary.
I follow the directions as given on the website, and find an old looking community hall I'd always been aware of when driving past it, but had never thought to give a second glance. A short hunt for the back door, and I'm greeted by a reasonably large room with about 40 chairs set out in front of a large screen, and someone asleep on said chairs.
A brief if awkward introduction later, and I find Im talking to a chap called "Mordo", quite a large intimidating lad who quite happily met most of the steriotypes I'd had about anime geeks. He was happy enough to chat though (well, talk about himself), so we talked for a bit until other people started appearing.
For the most part I really felt out of place; most of what the people around me were talking about was stuff I'd never heard of, or the things I had encountered (for example One Piece on Toonami) I felt embarrassed for bringing up because someone would launch into a big lecture on how the sub version was so much better and 4Kids had so much to answer for, yada, yada, yada. I found someone reading a copy of Kare Kano and though "yes! someone to talk to!!", but the guy was really quiet and barely responded to my attempts to talk about it! (p.s. that was Phil, now one of my best friends)
I began to wonder why I was even there, but I kept a brave face and waited for the showing to start.
I was happily amazed.
The screen they had at the time was a big 8x6 foot bedsheet (we now have a proper full size projection screen), but when the digital projector they had kicked into life and I was faced with anime on the big screen I was like WOW!!
I was a bit disorienteted at first because it was all in Japanese and I was having to read sub's (yes, NAMSoc have a policy of showing subs only), but I soon got the hang of it, and hey! It was anime on a big screen!!! The stuff they were showing was anime I'd not seen before, Gundam 08th MS Team, Ah My Goddess, and Vandread. It was great!! Sure, I was picking a couple of them up half way through a series, but this was stuff I'd never even considered watching before!
At the end of the showing the light come back on, there's a big hustle to pack everything away before the landlady locks up, and I'm invited to the pub down the road where everyone goes for a chat.
I sat there quietly nursing my J2O (I'd driven) and listening to the people talk about what they had just seen (it had been the first ep of 08th MS Team and the resident mecha fanboy was desperately trying to defend it against friendly jeers from the others), but it wasn't too long until someone asked me my opinion on what I'd just watched and I chatted a bit too. It all still seemed a bit overwhelming to me, and still did for the first few weeks, but I kept going back.

I'm glad I did, because its changed my life (I'm still deciding if it's for the better or not!!)
I've been dragged kicking and screaming well and truly into the great anime geekdom called "Otaku" and well, I've never has so much fun. I've made friends now I wish I'd had all my life, people who share a common love of something I've fallen head over heels for!

After half a year of being a member they ended up making me the Society Secretary (nothing like dropping you in the deep end), and while it's not been easy it's a task I don't regret taking up. I've already had at least one "mid life crisis" as Secretary; hardcore anime fans whilst shy and quiet (or should I say "because" ) can be very outspoken and set in their ways, and sometimes it's like trying to herd goldfish with a toothpick getting them to work together. The social side of the job is hard too, I'm still a shy quiet guy, so when new people turn up it's incredibly hard for me to meet and greet them (please, someone else do that bit!!).
I'll fight tooth and nail though anyone who tried to take this all away from me! Because of it I'm meeting and talking to people I never thought I would ever have the chance to meet (who'd have thought I'd be chatting with the distro's!!), and I'm here on this forum too because of it ;)
I'm being given the chance to help out with the industry of the thing I care about most in life, I may be a crazy Otaku because of it, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than where I am now (well, OK, a tropical beach with a big pile of cash may tempt me...)
Besides, where else would I get the chance to take 30 Otaku camping in Wales during severe storm warning on the premise of having an anime style beach party!! Beach volleyball in waterproofs has never been so interesting...

Are anime societies a thing of the past, and are they being wiped out by internet forums?
Maybe, but I hope not. Most of the new people we still get were like me, they had never been on the internet forums and their exposure to anime had been minimal.
Yes, soc's can be hard to get to know, Otaku are Otaku whether they are on the web or in real life. They can be quiet, closed people who are difficult to know, but once you do get to know them they can prove to be some of the most interesting people you'll ever encounter.
On the web you'll only ever know the face that a person wants to show you, in real life the masks are so much harder to hold in place.

Perhaps one day I'll have the chance to meet some of you in person, and to be honest I look forward to it. Anime fans are interesting indeed... :D

p.s. I humbly beg forgiveness for rambling on so much!!!

xx[chii]xx said:
yeah that is a point, but to be honest i dont wana really be the only 15 year old amoung lots of 20 year olds, also of the two clubs i have found in my area they both seem to meet in a pub :l

Fair point, we set our lower age range at 16 so we've got people from (I suspect but don't ask) 14 up to 40's.
Most of the people we have though are the 16 to 22 age range, and it's amazing who you can sneak into a pub garden for a J2O ;)

Back