What Games Are You Playing?

For the first time in weeks i've now got the chance to go home and just get back to gaming, I've been playing oblivion alot but the backlog of games is starting to bother me - buying games on release day and haven't played them since.

So far i've realised that the altars in oblivion can help me create INT increasing summoning spells for 1 sec that when used; boost my magicka upon levelling up.

An adoring fan now follows me from my triumph over the arena and doesn't mind if i sit there and power lvl my sneak skill by pickpocketing him continuously. Enchanted a sword with spark, weapon destroying attributes and frost damage which i named chidori (due to the spark and by what it looks like when the attack actually hits) I only use Silver daggers and dwarven daggers, a glass one in my pack but yet to bother with it.

So far i have Assassins creed revelations, MW3, Flyff, Far Cry 2 and medal of honour (the one which came out to compete against COD black ops) and finally R.U.S.E.

Omaru_SD said:
There's a bounty hunter who works for the illusive man in the third book who is supposed to be in the 3rd game.

Though I'd be shocked/happier if Kahlee Sanders actually showed up in the games.
I'm sure if they can introduce him better to the player without having to know who he is or I could just Mass Effect wikia him and learn through him that way. I've read the first ME comic, while it explains more about Liara and how Cerberus got Shepard's body it REALLY isn't vital to read, it's just an extra.

I heard about Kahlee Sanders too and while I was really interested at first it just seems she may just... appear as opposed to joining Shepard's squad or anything. So if BioWare aren't going to make an effort then neither am I.

I didn't consider it a spoiler, I stated occupation and not a name, race or gender.

The other character I named probably won't be in the games but is the main protagonist of all three books.

Omaru_SD said:
I didn't consider it a spoiler, I stated occupation and not a name, race or gender.

The other character I named probably won't be in the games but is the main protagonist of all three books.
Well, like I say, I was half joking, but the biggest thing I would consider a potential spoiler for other people is suggesting characters who might be in the game that hasn't come out yet.

vashdaman said:
How did you find FF13? I never really gave it a proper shot, but am considering doing so, especially with the impressive looking 13-2 coming up.

Fantastic game. Compared to other Final Fantasy games, you do not get the feeling of freedom, the chance to explore or the feeling that the story will only advance when you choose to advance it; it feels as is the game takes you by the hand an leads you through the story at the pace it chooses. If you can get over this fact, you will find that the game offers a rich and interesting story, great characters, a fun battle system and excellent sound and graphics. I loved the game.

Thanks, yeah that does actually sound good to me. I don't have a problem with it being more linear than past FF games as I actually prefer that linear/focused approach usually in my games. In fact most of what I've seen of the game so far seems to be right up my street, especially the gorgeous art/design of it and I already know the soundtrack is quite brilliant!

Basically what Mutsumi said. It is VERY story focused and VERY linear and it doesn't open up until chapter 11 of 13. It's cut scene heavy and the tutorials last a long time. Initially I found progression frustrating, the story trite and the characters (apart from Lightening who is the best Final Fantasy ever) grating but I slowly got into it and came to enjoy it.

The battle system was very enjoyable and features a lot of customisation but I was totally lost with the weapon and accessory upgrades so I just selected my favourite weapons and the most useful tools for any given situation and upgraded them to max.

The graphics are good and music is excellent but then I wouldn't expect anything less.

Edge gave this 5/10 but that is very harsh. I still prefer Final Fantasy Tactics.

Mm, it does seem a wee bit harsh. But then I guess when it comes to a game like this which relies so heavy on investment in story, world and character for enjoyment (possibly more so than ever with 13, due to it's linear structure) opinions are bound to vary drastically. Also, I suspected that one of Edge's pet peeves is linearity.

Anyway, I don't mind linearity and do quite enjoy a cut scene or two (or ten or an hour and a half's worth, lol) so I will be probably get the game at some point early on in next year.

I think the bigger problem with the game that would have affected review scores is that it takes 16-20 hours before you are playing the game "properly", which is just simply bad game design. Apart from that, I seriously think it will be looked back on in years to come as a landmark game for the genre.

--

Finished my Mass Effect replay, started BioShock for the first time! Very exciting opening hour or so.

Also played a bit of Super Meat Boy, which is quality.

Genkina Hito said:
The battle system was very enjoyable and features a lot of customisation but I was totally lost with the weapon and accessory upgrades so I just selected my favourite weapons and the most useful tools for any given situation and upgraded them to max.
I think you understood it fine tbh, it's basically designed so you can do whatever you like with it rather than needing to go down some kind of optimized upgrade path.

Apart from that, I seriously think it will be looked back on in years to come as a landmark game for the genre.

Whoa, that's a bold statement, possibly the boldest I've yet heard in regards to the game. I'd be curious to hear why you think this (as long as it doesnt contain spoilers :) ).

It doesn't - it is a stripping away of the smoke and mirrors of the genre, a fantastic deconstruction of what games actually are, and what they pretend to be. It takes all the truly boring pointless **** that clogs up town navigation, battle systems, etc, throws it out the window and says "what do you think of this now?".

Even if your answer is "it's a bit poo", no other big budget game has taken a similar risk with the genre (that I can think of), and it (experimentation and refusal to just churn out identikit sequels) is one of the hallmarks of FF that Squeni always get thrown back in their face.

Hmm, intriguing. I will have to play it properly to find out, although from what I know of the game what you say does make sense. Indeed, it's actually this radical shift in direction away from the tired ol JRPG formula that makes the prospect of the game so appealing to me. And this is in part due to the fact that the genre is so set in it's (often ridiculous) ways and slow to evolve.

It's true that the FF series does also constantly take risks (for example with FF 12, which I liked.) but it would appear they perhaps went too far with 13 as I can't recall any other FF game receiving such a vicious backlash from it's hardcore fanbase (though I could be wrong!), at least it sold well though.

I've also heard people recently talk of Xenoblade in similar light(about it i doing away with all the archaic genre tropes ), however it seems to have received far more universal love.

Which reminds me, now that I have a Wii, I need to get that too. I saw it in Game the other day for only £20!

ilmaestro said:
I think the bigger problem with the game that would have affected review scores is that it takes 16-20 hours before you are playing the game "properly", which is just simply bad game design. Apart from that, I seriously think it will be looked back on in years to come as a landmark game for the genre.

--

Genkina Hito said:
I think you understood it fine tbh, it's basically designed so you can do whatever you like with it rather than needing to go down some kind of optimized upgrade path.

That's what a lot of review criticised the game for. When I bought it I knew it would take a long time for the game to open up and I was prepared for it but it didn't make it any more pleasant.

I'm happy to see that my slap-dash approach to RPG weapons was the correct path. I'm about to tackle Deus Ex before I get more games for Christmas.

Back