What Games Are You Playing?

Played a few hours of Tales of Graces F, and it turns out I've never played it before. I seemed to be mixing it up with Symphonia earlier. Graces has an actual tutorial section so I'm getting the hang of it much more easily than Symphonia. My approach to the gameplay so far is 'hammer X and hope for the best', but I'm starting to get a feel for guarding and how useful it is. I'm only in the early stages of the game, heading for the capital to see Richard, so I still have plenty of time to improve.

Xcom 2 thoughts.

I didn't actually know that about the doom timer, it never even occurred to me to let it fill up and see what happens. Personally I would say the national panic meters from the previous game were more stressful to handle than this doomsday clock, it's easier to keep one plate spinning than sixteen after all.

I've played the game through four times now and only lost a single mission in all that time, which was due to bad luck (I tried hacking a tower and brought enemy reinforcements down on my head while still engaged with a bunch of enemies, and couldn't get to the objective in time after that without a suicide charge). Otherwise I found that the time limits were sufficiently generous that any mission could be completed, no matter how FUBAR it might get. It certainly is a tougher game compared to the first one, as even on the easiest difficulty I lose some soldiers (usually from my gambles backfiring) in each playthrough, whereas in the first game it was normal for me to not lose anyone on an easy game. As for Ironman mode, I realised on the fourth playthrough that I might as well have it active as I effectively play that way anyway, never reloading when things go wrong.

It seems to me that the aim percentages are a bit more complex than they seem. The best I can figure is that the aim stat is itself a percentage out of a hundred, so if for example a soldier has an aim stat of 80 and during a mission finds themselves with a shot claiming 100% chance to hit, then they really have a chance of: 100% of 80% = 80%. If the displayed chance to hit is 50%, then it's really: 50% of 80% = 40%. That would explain why missed 90% shots gradually become less common as the soldiers increase in rank and their aim stat increases.

And as for bugs, I've not encountered anything serious, mostly a few minor graphical issues where a mission will load up with everything saturated with white light. Quitting and reloading the save resolves that though, so it's a minor nuisance. The world map can also get confused if it's trying to do multiple things at once, for example updating the doomsday clock while showing a new pickup being available. Again, it's easy to resolve by waiting a minute then backing out of the map. And on missions I sometimes cannot target Faceless enemies until they do some actual damage to one of my soldiers, but grenades usually deal with them well enough. Nothing wrong with a few bugs in a game though, it keeps you on your toes ;).

I recall the Werewolf form being surprisingly vulnerable if you're not careful but quite strong as well, I'm pretty sure most NPCs go hostile. The Dawnguard expansion added a Perk tree that makes Werewolf a bit more fun and viable (also, potentially disgusting). Speaking of Dawnguard, that's a potentially good path to follow if you're using Archery since you can get a nifty Crossbow (and there's also at least one interesting Bow).

The bugs and randomness can be good fun. I think Oblivion and Morrowind had some particularly good oddities (especially when characters are saying their more random idle dialogue).

Out of interest, why would you want repair back? I don't recall it really adding anything to the game but I suppose you don't have to repair fists (or, at least, that's covered by Restoration).

I'm guessing the vulnerability comes because of no armour or shields? That's cool. I'd hate it if there was a mission where you're fighting with NPCs and then they're all cool with you turning into a werewolf. XD Ah. I never played Dawnguard, so I'll have to go down that route. I always love playing a Thief/Stealth character, so Archery is always a must. Cool to see Dawnguard will have some good Archery gear.

Bethesda games aren't Bethesda games without hilarious (and potentially gamebreaking) bugs lol.

I just like having to maintain my gear and because of that you always need to carry backup weapons. Without a repair skill, you never have to worry about weapons breaking or reduced stats due to poor maintenance. Kind of detracts from the immersion (if only a little). No repair (and skills in general) was more annoying in Fallout 4 than Skyrim, since it feels less like an RPG. I also missed being able to talk with every single character like in Oblivion too. It was amazing how you could become friends with guards and they'd overlook your transgressions (without taking a bribe).

I'm tempted to get back into Skyrim - but I poured so many hours into the PS3 version I'm not sure I could justifying doing it over again.

I remember the bugs issue for me wasn't even glitches in the game per se - it was just that crazy issue with the increasing save file size and in general load times / performance issues etc.

I'm guessing the vulnerability comes because of no armour or shields? That's cool. I'd hate it if there was a mission where you're fighting with NPCs and then they're all cool with you turning into a werewolf. XD Ah. I never played Dawnguard, so I'll have to go down that route. I always love playing a Thief/Stealth character, so Archery is always a must. Cool to see Dawnguard will have some good Archery gear.

Bethesda games aren't Bethesda games without hilarious (and potentially gamebreaking) bugs lol.

I just like having to maintain my gear and because of that you always need to carry backup weapons. Without a repair skill, you never have to worry about weapons breaking or reduced stats due to poor maintenance. Kind of detracts from the immersion (if only a little). No repair (and skills in general) was more annoying in Fallout 4 than Skyrim, since it feels less like an RPG. I also missed being able to talk with every single character like in Oblivion too. It was amazing how you could become friends with guards and they'd overlook your transgressions (without taking a bribe).
There are some missions where you can fight as a werewolf with NPC allies, though it'd mostly depend on the faction you're in (I think there are at least three factions that are okay with it). I think you do get some bonus from your armour when you go into werewolf form but not the whole bonus, it might be something like chest armour only. Where does a werewolf keep their inventory anyway? It's probably best not to ask.

The Crossbow is great for lazy archers, it basically eliminates the need to draw back your bow (you have a reload time instead) so you can focus on picking your shots. It's a good option if you have an issue with the press, hold, release cycle of bows anyway.

I have to admit, there was something appealing about scavenging for weapons/weapon parts in the previous Fallout games. Still, I have a tendency to hoard and having a repair system often means that I just never use my best weapons, so there's an advantage for me either way. The Fallout 4 crafting system was an interesting idea, although I didn't use it too much (aside from painting my Power Armour in Hot Pink). If they combined the crafting and repair systems, so that you could build the weapons you'd use, maintain them for a while and then replace them, that could be interesting.

It seems to me that the aim percentages are a bit more complex than they seem. The best I can figure is that the aim stat is itself a percentage out of a hundred, so if for example a soldier has an aim stat of 80 and during a mission finds themselves with a shot claiming 100% chance to hit, then they really have a chance of: 100% of 80% = 80%. If the displayed chance to hit is 50%, then it's really: 50% of 80% = 40%. That would explain why missed 90% shots gradually become less common as the soldiers increase in rank and their aim stat increases.
I've never seen a 100% chance fail (and I'm fond of Rangers), so I think the chance is accurate but it's just the rolls that can go either way (depending on the numbers generated, you could easily just end up with a run of bad luck or poorly timed rolls). The aim stat basically works as their base % to hit, so if your soldier has 65 Aim then they'll have 65% chance to hit an enemy if there aren't any modifiers (cover, range, defence and so on). Aliens don't often seem to have range modifiers, so that's one of the reasons that they sometimes seem to pick targets very randomly rather than tending to shoot at closer targets (melee will almost always go for the closest target).

I haven't looked into it much but, based on comments I've read, it seems the game might give certain bonuses to rolls on lower difficulties to try to avoid continuous misses with high hit percentages. It's possible there are penalties for higher difficulties or it just feels that you're less lucky because you don't have those bonuses. I seem to also recall reading that the aliens use a different set of rolls than your soldiers, which could explain why your luck can feel very different at times, but I'm not sure if that's actually true.

Nice. That's a pretty big range you've got covered haha. I never used werewolf or two handed weapons in my two play throughs, so I'll have to remember that. How strong is the Werewolf? Do NPCs attack you?

I've always loved these games for the multitude of play styles it promotes (even if Skyrim is the most limited of the series). No two games and characters are ever the same, and coupled with the bugs, you experience lots of crazy moments too.

I hope they bring back repair and add more branching quest paths. It's ridiculous how linear the dungeons are in Skyrim. Although, judging by Fallout 4, the game will probably limit things even further. :(

Yup, needed archery to make it easier to deal with dragons. My PS3 character used magic, so I'm giving 2 handed weapons a try this time around. I'm using Wuuthrad as my main 2 handed weapon with fire damage enchantment, great for dealing with the Falmer :D

NPCS do attack when I'm in werewolf form, so I usually use it places with bandits lol. Werewolf form is quite strong once you got all the perks in the attack skill in the werewolf perk tree.

There are some missions where you can fight as a werewolf with NPC allies, though it'd mostly depend on the faction you're in (I think there are at least three factions that are okay with it). I think you do get some bonus from your armour when you go into werewolf form but not the whole bonus, it might be something like chest armour only. Where does a werewolf keep their inventory anyway? It's probably best not to ask.

The Crossbow is great for lazy archers, it basically eliminates the need to draw back your bow (you have a reload time instead) so you can focus on picking your shots. It's a good option if you have an issue with the press, hold, release cycle of bows anyway.

I have to admit, there was something appealing about scavenging for weapons/weapon parts in the previous Fallout games. Still, I have a tendency to hoard and having a repair system often means that I just never use my best weapons, so there's an advantage for me either way. The Fallout 4 crafting system was an interesting idea, although I didn't use it too much (aside from painting my Power Armour in Hot Pink). If they combined the crafting and repair systems, so that you could build the weapons you'd use, maintain them for a while and then replace them, that could be interesting.

Ah cool. Thanks for letting me know. It's good to know npcs react differently to that form. It must be like Looney Toons and all their gear is hidden in bottomless pockets or...

tumblr_inline_nz0eay7i091r0kbyv_540.png

Yeah. I'll probably give crossbows a go, just to see how they are compared to bows. Nothing beats the satisfaction of a OHKO while sneaking with an bow.

Bethesda games are known for being hoarding simulators lol. I know what you mean about saving items, but I usually keep them for boss battles and tough enemies like Deathclaws and Behemoths. I liked the crafting system in Fallout 4. Skyrim's wasn't all that great. I'm playing Bound by Flame and its crafting system is pretty nice. Every weapon/armour piece has modification slots which give certain buffs (more damage/critical hit chance/elemental effects/stagger) something like that would be great for Elder Scrolls. Pink Power Armour is the only true Power Armour.

Yup, needed archery to make it easier to deal with dragons. My PS3 character used magic, so I'm giving 2 handed weapons a try this time around. I'm using Wuuthrad as my main 2 handed weapon with fire damage enchantment, great for dealing with the Falmer :D

NPCS do attack when I'm in werewolf form, so I usually use it places with bandits lol. Werewolf form is quite strong once you got all the perks in the attack skill in the werewolf perk tree.

I sucked at hitting dragons while they were flying around. My tactic was running around like a madman until the dragon feels sorry for me and lands. :p Nice. I always carry different stuff with different buffs. Always good to over prepare.

I never had the perk tree when I played, so I'll give all of it a read through when I decide to get the game. Must make the whole thing pretty OP when you have it fully unlocked.

Tales of Graces f

Game Time: 9 hours, 44 minutes

**** Wallbridge so hard. That place was a nightmare! It wasn't even difficult, it was just so frustrating. All the rooms looked nigh identical and there was no map to speak of, so I spent half my time wandering around in circles chasing my own tail. I'd like to think I'm pretty hesitant to look things up on Google, but after walking around getting nowhere for about 20 minutes, I relented. Oh well, at least I'm out of it now. As you can probably tell from my game time racked up over two days, I am immensely enjoying this now. Really finding it hard to tear myself away, definitely just one of those "Just 10 more minutes" games, and before you know it, you've been playing for two hours. In fact, it's eating worrying amounts into my anime watching time! I'm trying to balance it out, but I just end up getting so absorbed in this.

**** Wallbridge so hard. That place was a nightmare! It wasn't even difficult, it was just so frustrating. All the rooms looked nigh identical and there was no map to speak of, so I spent half my time wandering around in circles chasing my own tail. I'd like to think I'm pretty hesitant to look things up on Google, but after walking around getting nowhere for about 20 minutes, I relented.
I would suggest against Eternal Sonata then if you're looking for something to try after graces then.

eternal_sonata___unisono_dungeon_map_by_nanairota-d75ksec.jpg

Just played through Firewatch. Man that game was intense, I haven't felt dread like that in ages. While I knew Campo Santo was made up of guys who worked on Telltales The Walking Dead (One of my fav games ever) I wasn't expecting from the initial trailers anything quite as intense as that game ends up being. It goes along way to create paranoia in the player and while the ending is poignant and understated the ride was amazingly good. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it. I played it on PS4.

Eternal Sonata is a brilliant game, as is Tales of Graces f. I love both of those titles. I need to replay Tales of Graces as I played it on my old PSN account.

I'm on the final chapter of Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. Played almost 70 hours, its actually quite rare for me to complete games (the only other game i've completed was FFVIII) but this game is so addictive and good. The dialogue still makes me laugh.

Just ordered the second game from amazon.com so i can carry on with the story.

Started on Star Ocean V for ps4. Don't think I'll get this finished by the time FF XV lands, whether i drop it for FF depends on how much I enjoy this.

Well I've just completed Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. Absolutely loved the game, now I have to wait until 1st Dec for the second game to be delivered to continue the story.

I highly recommend it to others.

Tales of Graces f

Total Game Time: 22 hours 37 minutes

Haven't updated here for a while, but I'm still trucking on with this. Just cleared Chapter 6, which had the first boss fight I'd describe as tough. Not tough enough to merit me turning the difficulty down, but still took me 3 or 4 goes to beat. When the guy can wipe out 3/4 of your health in one combo, it's a bit of a nightmare, not to mention the infinitely respawning guards to go along with him. Anyway, with chapter 6 clear I only have (if my sources are correct) 3 more chapters to go. How Long To Beat put the average completion time at around 40 hours, but unless those last few chapters are exceptionally long, I'm probably going to do it in quite a bit less than that if I keep on at my current rate. Considering it took me 20 hours to get 2/3 of the way in, I doubt it will take me another 20 to do the last third.

Started Steins Gate Zero last night - was lucky enough to receive my copy on Monday (only fair given I ordered and paid for it 2 months ago, literally days before they pushed it back twice)

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II arrived today, so I can now continue the story of Rean and Class VII. The game play is still the same but they've added some extras that make it more enjoyable.

Grinding through Sword Art Online: Hollow Realisation and when i say grinding I mean it. It might be even grindier to Platinum than Hollow Fragment. Definitely a long term goal, this one *smile*

The game is not too bad, the affection systems are pretty complex (I have like 160 friends... and yes, about 150 of those are female characters, so sue me!)

I have to admit the amount of grinding you have to do in the SAO games really put me off them - that and the long load times between areas - although not sure if that's something that's persisted into the more recent ones.

A moment of silence for my Steins;Gate 0 saves

6.5 hours in I'd spotted a typo/error or two and suspected a patch would be released. Did not expect it to corrupt my save games :(

Back