What Games Are You Playing?

memorium said:
I'm intrigued in what you classify as the last good FF game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSYrRrz2oJg

Finished Grandia today, I've had a history with this game that's probably spanned a decade, played it multiple times but never finished it, I got onto disc 2 a few times but never got further than Zil Padon ruins. Today I finished the game & there was nothing as mystical or epic as I was expecting, just a typical feel good 90s JRPG ending. I wish the game fleshed out some of the other characters rather than just Justin and Feena (Both pretty boring) I mean, DAMN, I spent 30 hours going to Alent and I was there for sixteen ******* minutes? I want my £10 back Game Arts. But yeah, overall I'd probably give it an 8/10, never takes itself too seriously, item system is ****** but battle system is GREAT, characters are fun although under-developed, story is typical adventure turned world regenaration. Worth the playthrough.

Oh and best battle theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoybJovRWYs

Xenoblade. This has been getting fantastic scores across the board, and if the first six hours are indicative of the game's overall quality then those scores are thoroughly deserved. Already there have been some truly epic moments, an abundance of side quests, beautiful vast locations to explore, and a genuinely innovative battle system that's both accessible and deep.

Quite fabulous.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I can't play FFIX because of the amount of time it takes for battles to load. Combined with outrageously frequent random encounters, it makes me want to break things.
The random encounters aren't that bad in FFIX if my memory serves correctly, if you think it's that bad check out Tales of Phantasia, the encounter rates are far worse than any Final Fantasy game you'll ever play

They're bad enough, but it's the combination of the random encounters and how long battles take that makes FFIX unplayable for me.

For the last five years I've tended to avoid RPGs with random encounters altogether.

fabricatedlunatic said:
They're bad enough, but it's the combination of the random encounters and how long battles take that makes FFIX unplayable for me.

For the last five years I've tended to avoid RPGs with random encounters altogether.
That's why emulators were invented :roll:

Xenoblade Chronicles

What fabricatedlunatic said.

Three hours in (just running around the first field area, fighting, exploring, getting my **** handed to me by a bunch of fish). Loving just how seamless the entire thing is. Quite outstanding to say the least.

Oh! And really great music, too.

Max Takeshi said:
Xenoblade Chronicles
Oh! And really great music, too.
Yes indeed. The soundtrack is awesome.

In case you don't already know: if you register the game at Club Nintendo before 30th September you can download the soundtrack in 320kbps MP3 format.

Gran Turismo 5 - just finished the annoying 4 hour race round nurburgring, dunno how I'll manage the longer one (probably won't)

Also playing Pokemon Black for like the first time in months, about to go to Victory Road I think :)

Just finished Fallout: New Vegas, didn't bother with getting any stimpacks before the final quest so it was a pain in the ass, and it turns out that putting a crap load of points into Speech was a good thing after all.

Also been playing some more MvC2, mixing up one of my team members to see if I can get a team that doesn't rely on Gambit and I've gotten some solid combinations (other two members are Rogue and Akuma if anyone here gives two shits).

Also loaded up Samurai Shodown 2 for the first time in about a year, funny, I don't remember being too good at it, but I managed to hold 5 stages without dying, I guess continuously fighting Abyss in MvC2 has taught me something about taking a defensive style of play.

Replaying some titles in my collection I haven't played in a while, I forgot how great some of them were:
Just Cause
Crackdown
Perfect Dark (arcade)
Timesplitters Future Perfect
Lost Planet

Also started re-playing Gears of War (and subsequently 2) in anticipation of 3.

Future Perfect is a cracking game, unlocking stuff is much easier in it though when you compare it to the previous two games, but I like the fact that the parameters of the Arcade modes are more flexible than in TS2 (1000 kills? Yes please! The choice between Attack or Defend in Assault? Yes please!), plus the story mode actually has a good story, and no stealth levels of Neo Tokyo proportions, man that level was a bitch co op.

I recently completed Tomb Raider: Legend (on PS2). Enjoyed it, but the motorcycle chases were dull and the pacing of the story was much too fast. Very short, too. Altogether a rather insubstantial game, but the graphics were nice and it was fun.

I've just started playing Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga and I love it. It's old-school RPG goodness ... I like the FFX clone skills board, the style is very slick, voice acting is great, love the story, it's challenging but not to the point of frustration (at least not yet, anyway!). So far so good.

memorium said:
Future Perfect is a cracking game, unlocking stuff is much easier in it though when you compare it to the previous two games, but I like the fact that the parameters of the Arcade modes are more flexible than in TS2 (1000 kills? Yes please! The choice between Attack or Defend in Assault? Yes please!), plus the story mode actually has a good story, and no stealth levels of Neo Tokyo proportions, man that level was a bitch co op.

Cracking it is. Mars Prison Defense is the best level evar! (if only the score thingy didn't freak when you set it to no time limit, the winners always lose and the losers always win :p) But in fairness I think if you survive long enough that the timer can't go any further that's pretty much a win by all accounts :p

And I agree the story is pretty solid both in terms of missions and the plot, the humour is great too. I just love how Cortez keeps trying to force his catchphrase to work and just gets disapproving/ confused/ disgusted looks from everyone. All the interactions between Cortez and his future/past selves is great too "Thanks for stopping" "you woulda done the same for me" "Already did!" "Of course..." XD

I hope the rumoured TS4 sees the light of day and they keep to their promise of not extending the plot in the story mode. TS3 was a nice way to round off the series, so I'd rather see any plot development in TS4 be episodic or pre-TS2/3 era stuff.

Mars Prison was the best, I played that map almost exclusively on Assault so many times, Venice is another favourite of mine as well. I never really understood Cortez's catchphrase, the most I get out of it is the fact that it sounds corny, the conversation between the two Crows is probably my favourite part of the game though along with Cortez shouting "damnit" so loud that somehow Harry Tipper hears it back in the 60's (Or is that Janitor actually just a REALLY old Harry? I figured it could've gone either way). Strangely enough the bot AI in the TS series is good, really good, team mates actually have a positive impact and it makes me wonder how the hell games in recent years could **** up something like bot AI so badly.

As for TS4, I want it badly, they said they'll make it if there was a big enough demand for it, there's even a petition up online for it as well, I've obviously signed it at it's at something like 19,000 so far, so add the "dark figure" on top of that and I think there's enough fans out there to justify it being made, as long as they don't hold stuff back for DLC or make you buy online passes if you buy the game used, then things should be fine, though I'm not entirely sure how online multiplayer would pan out in this day and age, will it be matchmaking with the parameters for each gametype be fixed to a default like they are in Halo and COD with a custom games mode on the side, or will it be server based allowing the admin full control on parameters? Also, will there be bots or will they ditch them with the assumption that the online multiplayer will be popular enough to keep the game afloat for a few years (which would probably demand DLC)? That and whether they'll adopt the Halo "two weps and recharging health" system that is commonplace or stay old school are the only things that bug me about a potential sequel, mapmaking, would be cool, but I'll doubt that any major publisher would want it in a game in this day and age.

Back