What manga are you reading now?

Blood on the Tracks Volume 15 - As engrossing as always, really interested to see how Oshimi wraps this one up in the final two volumes! :)

Kare First Love Volumes 1-3 - I like this series and can also see why it's recommended to fans of Mars, even though I wouldn't put it on quite the same level I am enjoying it :)

The Two of Them Are Pretty Much Like This vol 1
Another Yuri comedy, but where as Cheerful Amnesia was a 4-koma this had short chapters with either a bit of plot or a gag. Had some humorous and some sweet moments, but definitely not as funny as CA.

Kare First Love Volumes 4-10 (COMPLETED) - Def worth reading, if not the absolute best manga I have read, but still very enjoyable... sorry I have nothing more interesting to say about this but it was a cute, engaging shoujo manga that also touched on/engaged with some heavier topics and had funny moments, and I'm glad I read it, I also liked that it only took me maybe an hour or less to read each volume, it flowed well :)

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 148 - 149

Hajimete no Gal ch 174 - 175

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord ch 101.1 - 101.3

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 299

Tales of Wedding Rings ch 78-79

The Rising of the Shield Hero ch 102

To Love-Ru Darkness volume 17-18 (Colored Edition) (Complete)

Tsugumomo ch 163

Wise Man's Granchild ch 80

Finished reading Ghost in the Shell: Human Error Processor today, the last part of Shirow’s original GitS manga that I’d not read. It’s a collection of chapters from the original manga that followed after the first TPB (and the end of the Puppeteer storyline) but don’t tie into the actual ‘sequel’, Man Machine Interface.

Made up of about half a dozen short stories, it doesn’t add much to the overall canon, but it’s interesting to see how much it predicts the self-contained episodes of Stand Alone Complex, with Batou and Togusa getting to play buddy cop duo throughout most of it. The art is still great and it continues Shirow’s knack for clever worldbuilding detail, but it does suffer his usual shortcomings when it comes to constructing a dramatic narrative to tie all the ideas together. I was also a bit thrown by how suddenly it just stops when the chapters run out; it might have helped if it ended on a more dramatic note, but the last story is one of the weaker entries and feels like an unceremonious end point.

I wouldn’t have minded if the manga had continued on in this fashion for a while longer, it’s a lot more accessible than the borderline incomprehensible MMI, but it does feel unambitious compared to what came before, it and presumably Shirow didn’t want to keep on treading water if he felt he’d said everything he had to say.

There's a few on going Yuri manga with new volumes coming up, so I thought I'd check if I want to continue with them. First up:

Does it Count if You Lose Your Virginity to an Android vol 1
In a near future time with AI and androids an OL drunkenly orders a sex bot when trying to order a maid bot.
The "action" is pretty hot and it's also quite funny.

Second up:

There's No Freaking Way I'll Be Your Lover! Unless... (manga) Vol 1
I thought the set up would be rivals going head to head and then one confesses and the other hates the idea, but gradually they fall in love too.
It's similar, but the real plot is loser middle schooler, Renako, decides going to high school is her chance to change and as luck would have it the girl she gets to sit next to, Mai, is a bit of a celebrity and bound to be the popular girl in school and thus she gets to be in the popular group from day 1. After a certain event they have 1 to 1 chat in which each confess to how hard it is keeping up appearances and how they should be real friends only for Mai to later confess! Renako is unsure and just wants to be besties, so in a compromise they devise a contest to see who can persuade the other better...
It's a bit of a contrived set up, especially the event that leads to their 1 on 1 chat and Mai can be a bit annoying with her cocky attitude, and I'm not totally sold she's actually in love and it's not all some prank, but they do have a good odd couple chemistry. There's a couple of side characters who seem cool, one has literally just a few panels so far, but seems a bit like Misuzu from Tomo-chan which is very good thing and both of them have more fans on MAL than the main 2! So hopefully there will more of them in the future. Would say it's not as good as yesterdays, but I have 2 more volumes already so will probably keep going.

Third:

My Cute Little Kitten vol 1
Roommates since college, Rena and Yuna have a system that works, most of the time, but one day Yuna brings home a kitten even though the apartment doesn't allow pets. Talk turns to the mention of moving out to their own places which brings Rena to blurting out her true feelings...
This one feels a bit odd, the relationship feels quite one sided with Rena definitely in love, but I feel Yuna is just going along with it to please, what appears to be, her only friend! There's definitely some sort of past trauma with her parents and she has other hang ups.
The "action" is very cute though. This is by Milk Morinaga who has a nice art style.

Forth:

The Summer You Were There vols 1 & 2
Gloomy girl (Shizuka) x outgoing girl (Kaori). Shizuka blames herself for something in her past and writes her first and final story with all her feelings laid bare, Kaori accidentally gets ahold of it and loves it. She desperately wants Shizuka to write another story and suggests that they pretend to date over summer...
Again a little contrived, very quick to the "dating" part and Kaori felt a bit pushy in her insistence of dating. Was almost thinking I might not continue, but there was an intriguing cliffhanger at the end of vol 1 which was a quick read so I continued and vol 2 delves into why all this is happening and finishes with another bang although it is confirmation of something that is hinted at earlier and fairly easy to guess.
The art is very nice.

A Cruel God Reigns in Heaven Volume 3 - I read Volumes 1-2 many moons ago, a compelling series so far, I've heard the second half of it is less good than the first but at the moment I do plan to continue reading it, it takes a while to read a volume though (I am reading it in English) so considering the length of the series I might end up dragging my heels a bit on finishing it - we shall see :)

English Fairy Tales and Legends (Rosalind Kerven, Hardcover) - An entertaining collection of stories which I very much enjoyed, though one review I read said there are more detailed (perhaps better) versions of these stories available from some other modern storytellers, so I will look into those as well :)

2 more yuri first volumes:

Gushing Over Magical Girls vol 1
Utena loves magical girls and her town just so happens to have a group consisting of 3 of them. When a magical mascot transforms her, she briefly thinks her dreams have come true till she sees her new outfit and the mascot then tells her that actually she will be a evil magical girl! She's not too happy with that, but that mascot blackmails her into fighting. In her first battle she captures the other magical girls and performs some light BDSM and discovers she's a bit of a sadist, but is a bit mortified at hurting the magical girls when in her normal state. From there that's the formula, they fight, a different form of light BDSM happens and she falls a bit deeper into enjoying it.
Definitely not for everyone, but it's has its funny moments. So definitely continuing, especially I have 8 volumes (whoops) and I just found out that the anime won't be fully uncensored till the BDs come out.

Assorted Entanglements vol 1
The synopsis on MAL, and the title, suggested that this would be a collection of stories about different couples and whilst there was another couple introduced later this volume is mostly focused on one couple, an OL who's sick of having affairs with married men has a drunken one night stand with an izakaya worker where she's a regular. Turns out there's a connection there, but also there's lots of differences between them, so you get a fun dynamic between their 2 different personalities. Next volume has the second couple on the front and in the synopsis, the 3rd also has a different couple who I don't think we've met so maybe each new volume will be a different couple.

Back