What manga are you reading now?

In order to continue reading through my unread manga volumes, I started reading One Piece after reading all my Bleach and DB volumes. I'm currently halfway through volume 3.

I like it more than I expected to; it's less kiddy than it looks at first glance and, although the females don't look as sexy as they could due to the art style, the art isn't really that bad. The main character is completely uninteresting and I currently feel nothing for him, but Zolo's cool (I liked his short yet touching flashback) and Nami's likeable enough for the heroine of the story.

I can't say it's really hooked me yet; pirates hunting for treasure has been used in stories way, way too many times and it isn't the strongest of main plot threads to have. But, like all shounen series, it'll probably form a stronger central plot when the main character introduction section is finished.

Started reading Chrono Crusade today after Vol. 1-8 (the complete set) arrived. Right now, I've just started chapter 5 (there are 56 in total) and I can see it being the third manga to enter my top 5 already. It's been excellent so far - Great art, the same story I loved from when I watched the anime (it doesn't diverge fully until Vol. 5 afaik) and I've enjoyed seeing the little differences between the anime and manga.

The book cover art for all 8 volumes is beautiful and very eye catching thanks to the vivid colours. Even better, every volume has at least a couple of pages in colour, one with some very nice boob ecchi. These are most certainly the best looking volumes I've purchased so far - At least ADV do something right!

Been reading a fair bit as of late, onto chapter 26 of Gintama, enjoying it a fair amount. Also midway through Berserk 11 and have Berserk 12 to read after that. Fruits Basket 5, still quite enjoyable, and also up-to-date with Psyren, Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail.

So far, I've read 42/56 (or, if you find it simpler, 6/8 volumes) of Chrono Crusade. I'm enjoying it a lot, as I expected after watching the anime a few times in the past.

The last volume was interesting, it going over the events in Chrono's past and the time he spent with Mary Magdalene. This was featured in the anime but it wasn't shown in as much detail and certain things were changed so that the plot could continue towards the Gonzo ending. It's too bad Chrono doesn't stay in his normal form throughout the story; he looks cool as an adult and far from cool as a brat.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the real story ends. I like the anime a lot (I own it on DVD) but it was obvious the story wasn't quite right when it started to become messy halfway through; when it diverged from the manga. The first half of the anime story, which followed the manga outside of a few minor alterations, went at a slow pace, while the second half went way too fast in comparison and didn't spend enough time explaining everything. I can't see how the story will have a happy ending since Rosette has used her life to power Chrono but I'm hoping it's more happy than the anime ending.

I'm currently reading/starting Vagabond, although I bought the first one, acouple of weeks later they bring out the 1-in-3 manga....great -_- oh well I'll see if I can sell this one and get the Book set ;)

I read this in what... past two days on and off reading.

11-17 of Toriko - I hope Toriko stays in Weekly Jump, it's a good read, it's fun and fairly interesting.

4-7 of Bakuman - Better than Death Note, another fun series... but it has a lot of text, at least it's not trying to be all complex and keeps it simple.

4-9 of Double Arts - It was lauded for being one of the most original works in JUMP for recent years but it was cut short, proves Japan doesn't know what the **** apparently... but I didn't think it was that good myself, main character is a younger Cloud Strife who's perfect. Though I'm yet to finish it.

Volumes 4-9 of GUNNM - Can't decide which I like more, the OVA or the manga, the manga was pretty good but it felt rushed sometimes, characters often saved by things a little too soon more than coincedence as it happened often. I hope Last Order fixes things I didn't like.

Jyuku Ningen Jumbor 1-10 = End - It had potential, shame Hiroyuki Takei's [Of Shaman King fame] new manga didn't cut it in Japan and just died so quickly, first 7 chapters were shaping up well when the last 3 just threw the entire plot at you and you're just left there like "... What the **** just happened?" Oh well, there's always next time. Shame his work doesn't sell by name like Obata.

Lupus Inu said:
Jyuku Ningen Jumbor 1-10 = End - It had potential, shame Hiroyuki Takei's [Of Shaman King fame] new manga didn't cut it in Japan and just died so quickly, first 7 chapters were shaping up well when the last 3 just threw the entire plot at you and you're just left there like "... What the **** just happened?" Oh well, there's always next time. Shame his work doesn't sell by name like Obata.

Would that be the Manga that Hiroyuki created with Stan Lee? It looked slightly impressive, but I think I'll avoid it. He done a Goodjob with the Shaman King manga, and so I wouldn't want to think badly of him if this one turns out bad.

Anywho, finished reading Ororon volume 1 and Trinity Blood volume one.
Ororon was okay, 'cept I weren't to keen on the art. And the story lines a little "Koo-Koo". Trinity Blood was awesome though ^^. Reminds me of D.Gray-Man in a way and the art impressed meh.

Now I've currently got M.P.D Psycho to read, though I think I'll wait till later before I start that. Someone recomend me a manga series/volume to read? Preferebally comedy.

(No Naruto/Bleach/OP/DGM, hell, any of the overated ones, please.)

Finished Chrono Crusade a few hours ago. I enjoyed it a lot, my only problem really being with how so much of the story was crammed into the final 2 volumes.

Oddly, I prefer the Gonzo ending to the real ending. Although the anime ending was depressing, it wasn't too bad because Chrono and Rosette died peacefully together. In the manga the two only got together 7 years after the final fight; right when Rosette has a seizure and is about to die... :/

I typed up a review and put it on MAL: http://myanimelist.net/showreview.php?id=8331

Last edited by a moderator:
Aion said:
...Oddly, I prefer the Gonzo ending to the real ending. Although the anime ending was depressing, it wasn't too bad because Chrono and Rosette died peacefully together. In the manga the two only got together 7 years after the final fight; right when Rosette has a seizure and is about to die... :/
I've heard about the different endings. I also realized that I shouldn't had quotes you. I've just read the spoiler dammit! :p

Anyway, I wanted to ask how much of it is different, only the ending? I really liked the anime ending....

The plot diverges completely towards the end of Vol. 6. The anime followed the Mary Magdalene flashback to a certain extent, with the reasons for Aion ordering Chrono to kill Mary being different in the manga, and then the manga story went in a totally different direction. The only similarities the manga and anime share after the Mary flashback story is the Satella vs. Fiore fight (it was copied from the manga in the anime) and the very similar ending.

There were lots of additions Gonzo made before the the plot diverged, though. For example, Aion didn't appear in the flesh before Rosette until the Joshua reunion in the manga, where as in the anime he appeared much earlier during a zombie outbreak filler. Also, Aion never put his tongue near Rosette in the manga, he never attempted to rape Satella and he was shown to be very near to Chrono in terms of strength (he came across as weak in the anime).

Edit: And, here's another pre-plot divergence difference: During the carnival events, Chrono doesn't fight Joshua in the manga; he fights Viede and Aion.

I guess I've missed the rape attempt on Satella... I've just seem this series monday and I can't recall such thing.

I really loved the anime and I finally got to know where you got your screen name from. (I think :D )

Yup, I randomly started using Aion and Aionic after watching the anime. I found Aion, a villain who pulled the strings of others rather than getting his own hands dirty (in the anime at least...), to be fascinating back then.

The Satella thing I'm referring to occurred during the episode where Satella gets captured by the snake woman who kills people for Aion. He puts his hands between her legs (iirc) after disturbing her mind, Satella screams and then Rosette shoots at him before he can do anything else. The entire episode was filler, by the way.

Vampire Knight Volume 5 more vampire goodness.

Sundome Vols 1 & 2. A very adult manga with adult themes but with a gripping story and lighter moments.

Just finished reading volume 1 of Death Note for the first time. It feels like I've already read it before because, as expected, the story is near enough identical to what I saw in the first few episodes of the anime. Not that the source material being identical up this point is a bad thing; Death Note was amazing up to the Yotsuba boredom in the anime.

By the way, I've already read the second half of the manga, so I know already that Madhouse were only very faithful during the first half of the story. :)

Aion said:
Yup, I randomly started using Aion and Aionic after watching the anime. I found Aion, a villain who pulled the strings of others rather than getting his own hands dirty (in the anime at least...), to be fascinating back then.

The Satella thing I'm referring to occurred during the episode where Satella gets captured by the snake woman who kills people for Aion. He puts his hands between her legs (iirc) after disturbing her mind, Satella screams and then Rosette shoots at him before he can do anything else. The entire episode was filler, by the way.

Ah I see... filler? didn't even noticed =)

The kind of villain Aion is on the anime is basically the kind of villain I dislike the most. Had more than my assigned quota of manipulative people around me. It's a behaviour that makes the naive me really unease.

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
Lupus Inu said:

Would that be the Manga that Hiroyuki created with Stan Lee?
Nawww.. ULTIMO is the Stan Lee x Takei one. Jyuku whatever is what he done basically straight after Shaman King. Not much is happening with ULTIMO at the moment. One chapter [Pilot] was randomly in JUMP SQ months ago, then nothing happened. For what it's worth... It was terrible, yet decent to read.

Asides from the general naruto and bleach chapter for the week, started my catch-up with one piece, read through 300-325 in the last couple of days. Also have started to read through Berserk 12, i kept putting off the manga for some reason, but i'm gonna push my way through it now.

Back