What manga are you reading now?

I've now read the first 4 volumes of Death Note. As I expected when I already knew the anime was very faithful to the first half of the manga, time is passing quickly as I go through the best sections of the story. It's just too bad the Yotsuba section, which almost made me drop the anime at one stage, will get going in the next volume, most likely including a lot more dull chatter than was in the anime. Roll on 'IT'...

There was one change the anime made early on that made the plot far easier to understand: The Raye Penbar train part. With the manga I'm a little confused how L wasn't able to work out that Raye received the FBI file first when he was sent it first and then made the others request for the FBI file. In the anime this confusion was avoided by Penbar simply writing the name of his superior down, which resulted in him unwittingly getting his superior to send the file to all 12 agents.

I'm a little disappointed that neither the author nor artist decided to put any information about themselves between the chapters. What I liked about the Naruto volumes was how the author made sure to talk about as much as possible in between chapters, ranging from informing readers about his other manga attempts and how he was almost killed by a gorilla when he accidentally stood on the foot of a baby, causing the daddy to anger. I'm hoping Vol. 13 makes up for this.

When I'm done with Death Note, I might order Death Note: Another Note - The prequel novel that reveals what happened when L worked with Naomi. I like that it's narrated by Mello; the informal style the first few pages were written in (read them on Amazon) were pretty good simply due to the words coming from Mello.

Aion said:
When I'm done with Death Note, I might order Death Note: Another Note - The prequel novel that reveals what happened when L worked with Naomi. I like that it's narrated by Mello; the informal style the first few pages were written in (read them on Amazon) were pretty good simply due to the words coming from Mello.
I'd reccomend the Death Note novel. Despite the book itself being absolutely wonderful [thank you Viz], the content is also very good.
Its obviosuly not the longest novel ever, but its a good read which mostly focuses on Naomi. A nice addition to the Death Note universe fer sure.

bought MPD psycho and Old Boy, the movie was excellent so I thought i'd tried the manga and see what its like

Maltos said:
I'd reccomend the Death Note novel. Despite the book itself being absolutely wonderful [thank you Viz], the content is also very good.
Its obviosuly not the longest novel ever, but its a good read which mostly focuses on Naomi. A nice addition to the Death Note universe fer sure.

Good to hear/read/whatever.

Do you happen to know if the author of the manga wrote the book? I glimpsed at a spoilerific review that mentioned something about someone else other than the DN author creating the story.

I read the 5th volume of DN yesterday. The Yotsuba stuff wasn't as horrific as I remembered it. I'll get onto reading Vol. 6 later today.

Aion said:
Do you happen to know if the author of the manga wrote the book? I glimpsed at a spoilerific review that mentioned something about someone else other than the DN author creating the story.
It's not the author of the manga who wrote it; its some chap called Nishio Ishin [he writes his name like a one word palindrome].
That said, i felt it could've easily been written by...whathisface...Oba? whatever. It didnt lack the intelligence or style of the manga.

I've now read the 10th volume of Death Note, leaving only 2 volumes of story and the extras volume. There won't be any surprises as I've read the last half of the manga and watched the anime before, but it's still entertaining to read. I am, however, thankful that I haven't seen everything before - I'm looking forward to actually seeing something completely new in the form of volume 13.

After a lengthy slump, the manga has finally got its act together again after the boring mafia section. Mikami's appearance has made the story epic once again (he's going on my MAL favourite character list). I loved him in the anime, him screaming 'Kami!!!!!!' and the scene where he speaks to Light for the first time always thrilling me, and he's exactly the same in the manga. The guy is so simple to understand yet, for reasons unknown even to myself, he's a character I've loved from the moment he entered the story.

The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service Vol 7. More of the same in this quality manga, starting to get some more sub story through. Although for some reason I did not feel as excited about this volume as others.

I'm now up to chapter 92 of Death Note (nearly at the warehouse!). I'm slowing down a little now since I'll feel the need to type a very long review of the box set after finishing - as much as I like getting my views across, all that typing and proof reading isn't easy to do.

And, rather randomly, I've started reading Bitter Virgin. It being described as a realistic romance story with some very serious plot points got me interested, and the first five chapters didn't disappoint me. Although I can only read it via my monitor, it'll be no problem for me to finish since it's only 32 chapters long, so I'm going to re-read chapters 1-5 and then move onto the chapters I haven't read after finishing Death Note.

Finished Death Note (including V13). And, just to satisfy myself, I typed up a poor review of the box set.

I'll probably get around to continuing Bitter Virgin tomorrow - it depends on my mood. After spending hours messing with a review of the 13 volume manga I've only just finished reading, I might take a break for a few days.

Back