Where to Legally Watch Anime Online in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cyten.co.uk/animax-celebrate ... new-films/
Animax have launched their iOS and Android apps which lets viewers enjoy anime anytime, anywhere on demand. To celebrate, they will be releasing a new film every Friday for a month!

This week, Friday 18th will see Hal released. The story follows the events of a tragic plane accident which sees a robot sent to a small Japanese town to help a person who just lost a loved one. While trying to heal a melancholic heart, the past of the couple is unearthed.

Other exclusive titles include Giovanni’s Island, 009 Re:Cyborg, and Patema Inverted.

Anime Limited have also adding some of their catalog to Netflix but i think the last series they added was Space Dandy Season 2 which was around late last year/early this year i think. Shame that they haven't added anything on there since as that's my main streaming service as i watch stuff mostly on my PS3 but the Animax app was such a pain to navigate through. Hoping Viewster makes an app for PS3/PS4 soon.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I guess Animax have stuck a deal with Anime Limited then? I thought their allegiances were with Viewster.

Either Animax has made them an offer and Anime Limited accepted, or Anime Limited sends out an email with a list of their shows and their pricing to various streaming platforms and they decide which ones to purchase.

When I co-ran event nights in London, agencies would email you a list of all their artists with information like, where they've played, their price and the amount of promotion they would do for the event and/or how many tickets they would sell etc etc...so, it could be something similar to that.

GolGotha said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
I guess Animax have stuck a deal with Anime Limited then? I thought their allegiances were with Viewster.

Either Animax has made them an offer and Anime Limited accepted, or Anime Limited sends out an email with a list of their shows and their pricing to various streaming platforms and they decide which ones to purchase.

When I co-ran event nights in London, agencies would email you a list of all their artists with information like, where they've played, their price and the amount of promotion they would do for the event and/or how many tickets they would sell etc etc...so, it could be something similar to that.

We're sort of platform agnostic at present - we're great friends with Viewster but we also have content on platforms like Animax, Crunchyroll, Netflix, Wakanim and others in Europe too :). Loads of different factors go into play when deciding these things and you'll most often see content on other platforms eventually too ^^.

AP

If I were you I'd be putting about as much effort into getting content onto Oh Dear as they put into actually uploading things, i.e. basically none. Focus your efforts everywhere but there. The sooner they go away, the better for the UK industry.

I understand your dislike for them, but I would rather Anime Limited accepted their money and put it towards new licences and such...

Re: Where to Stream Anime Legally Online in the UK

Thread Updated.

New Additions:

- HAL - Animax UK (EN)/(JP)
- Symphogear G (Senki Zesshou Symphogear G: In the Distance, That Day, When the Star Became Music...) - Crunchyroll
- Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning - Animax UK (EN)/(JP)
- Tiger & Bunny: The Rising - Animax UK (EN)/(JP)
- Tweeny Witches (Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu) - Netflix

Other upcoming Animax additions will be added once their links become available.

st_owly said:
If I were you I'd be putting about as much effort into getting content onto Oh Dear as they put into actually uploading things, i.e. basically none. Focus your efforts everywhere but there. The sooner they go away, the better for the UK industry.

I'm not convinced of this statement really - a platform that people put hard work into no matter the issues going away doesn't magically make the industry in the UK better. I'm not saying that there's been any addressing of issues to date - but objectively from an industry-side it just reduces options there (albeit a option that hardcore fans aren't hot on at present!)

Fear not though, we remain platform agnostic as I say right now and we do listen to what fans say so fear not there :)!

AP

I'm just waiting on Viewster to get a PS4/PS3 app then I'll be happy. At the moment, I dislike having to use just my ps4 for some shows, then a laptop for other other shows - I guess another solution would be all titles in one place, rather than spread over so many different ones, I end up having to pay for multiple subscriptions (if I want to stay up to date with shows).

So long as AL is trying to get all of their shows on as many platforms as possible I'm ok with it. It makes sense for content providers to try to get their stuff out there as widely as they can.

I really resent Animax getting exclusives when their free service is unusable by anyone not already deeply immersed in the industry with infinite free time to constantly check for updates, and their paid service is little better. It's the worst user experience of any digital media provider I've ever used, and while I resisted making fun of them for as long as I could (I even sent them constructive feedback back in 2013 when I thought they might listen), the way they keep licensing things and producing new content without addressing any of the gaping usability flaws in their site seems to be a non-verbal middle finger to the anime viewing market.

It's like they have never once in 2 years actually sat down and thought about how users interact with the site and why services like Crunchyroll are so much better. It really ticks me off. I wish they would open a dialogue with customers instead of acting like they already know what they're doing when it's abundantly obvious that they do not. If not for Grav's simulcast threads I seriously wouldn't know they had ever licensed anything at all in the last two years.

Sorry for ranting off the back of your post, Andrew, it has nothing directly to do with AL!

R

I agree with wanting to get your stuff out there as widely as possible. I just don't see the appeal of that service to the casual fan, especially now Crunchyroll is available on UK PS devices. I don't think many casual fans are going to go "Hey, look at all that content behind a paywall, and there's hardly anything available for free. I'm going to pay!" Nope. They're gonna go "oh, there's nothing for free here" and go elsewhere. I've tried sending them constructive feedback too, but I'd have been as well talking to a brick wall.

@Rui - Their free service is unusable to anyone period.

st_owly said:
I agree with wanting to get your stuff out there as widely as possible. I just don't see the appeal of that service to the casual fan, especially now Crunchyroll is available on UK PS devices. I don't think many casual fans are going to go "Hey, look at all that content behind a paywall, and there's hardly anything available for free. I'm going to pay!" Nope. They're gonna go "oh, there's nothing for free here" and go elsewhere. I've tried sending them constructive feedback too, but I'd have been as well talking to a brick wall.

@Rui - Their free service is unusable to anyone period.

Agreed - especially where content is exclusive to certain streaming services. I don't get why they can't all just show on Crunchyroll, we have there a streaming service dedicated to anime but we can't even get all the shows on there.

Even "objectively" I think there would be more benefit to the industry if Animax wasn't around.

Animax would seem to be the reason that Crunchyroll wasn't available on UK Playstation devices for a long while, that was a lot of time that potential customers could have been being introduced to great anime (and the greatness of anime) through Crunchyroll. If Animax was a worthwhile service it wouldn't have been a problem but it's not, I'd say Animax is at least as likely (and probably more likely) to put people off of anime (or at least paying for it) as to encourage new fans.

Any exclusive deals Animax gets would have a similar effect, it's just making things more difficult for UK fans and that'll have a knock on effect even if it's not so easily measurable.

Any money available to UK distributors through Animax will be coming from their customers, I don't see the point in filtering it through a service that is mostly just giving people a bad experience (even the most tolerant people would probably be no more than "satisfied"). If Animax was gone, that money could be available through other means and it could be giving better value to the fans spending it (which, in turn, will make them more likely to want to stay fans and spend more).

Animax might be an extra option for distributors to deal with and profit from but I don't think that makes them objectively worthwhile. On a personal level at least, I'd argue that the best objective measure of an industry is in what it's producing and not how profitable it is (especially for a "creative" industry). On that objective measure, I'd say Animax does more harm than good.

I expect there are plenty of decent people doing their best to work on Animax and it's not so easy to comment from the outside looking in but, at the end of the day, sympathy for those people doesn't change that Animax just isn't good enough (and doesn't seem to be likely to ever improve).

Perhaps once Viewster unleashes their Omakase service, Anime Limited could add their entire movies catalogue exclusively on there to help attract customers who want their moneys worth. That's about 18 films plus Mai Mai Miracle could be an added bonus to make up for the long wait on the Kickstarter:
009 Re:Cyborg
A Letter to Momo
Escaflowne: The Movie
Fuse: Memoirs of a Huntress
The Garden of Words
Giovanni's Island
Hal
Patema Inverted
Perfect Blue
The Place Promised In Our Early Days
Psychic School Wars
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise