Where to Legally Watch Anime Online in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Where to Stream Anime Legally Online in the UK

NormanicGrav said:
Dan said:
Vexille has been added to Netflix

I noticed that too. I thought it was already on there.

Yeah I thought that but the updates I get from #NewOnNetflixUK said it had been added today. Which surprised me.

I've updated the first post with some headers and a nice intro photo. :p

Was wanting to watch Gundam Unicorn but refuse to pay the silly BD prices (even though I really want them), but noticed this post and decided to check if it was available somewhere. Now I see it's on PSN but after searching I can't find Part 7 on there, anyone know why that is? Am I being stupid and missing it or is it actually not there anymore?

Buzzkillington said:
Was wanting to watch Gundam Unicorn but refuse to pay the silly BD prices (even though I really want them), but noticed this post and decided to check if it was available somewhere. Now I see it's on PSN but after searching I can't find Part 7 on there, anyone know why that is? Am I being stupid and missing it or is it actually not there anymore?

If you're looking to get Gundam Unicorn for slightly cheaper (albeit still pretty pricey) - I'd suggest JP Books' shop in London (just off Piccadilly Circus), if you're nearby. The volumes are about £27 each there, much better than the £40+ they go for on Amazon.

Buzzkillington said:

I swear it was there as I added the titles to the list by using the PlayStation 3. Looks like it's not there anymore. I'll update the list to reflect that.

Lutga said:
If you're looking to get Gundam Unicorn for slightly cheaper (albeit still pretty pricey) - I'd suggest JP Books' shop in London (just off Piccadilly Circus), if you're nearby. The volumes are about £27 each there, much better than the £40+ they go for on Amazon.

I'm up in Scotland so sadly no good, and that's maybe still a bit much for a blind buy for me, thanks though, I will keep it in mind.

NormanicGrav said:
I swear it was there as I added the titles to the list by using the PlayStation 3. Looks like it's not there anymore. I'll update the list to reflect that.
It does seem strange that the first 6 parts are there but part 7 isn't :/ really annoying as I wanna watch it.

According to The Independent, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya will be added to Amazon Prime Instant Video on June 22nd.

I've just started a 14 day trial on Crunchyroll so i could watch Durarara!! X2 Dub after finished Durarara!! yesterday and seeing that the dub is available while i was browsing on the app on my tablet. I've just logged in on Xbox 360 and only the sub is available :?

I also just started a 2 week Crunchyroll trial as I wanted to see how their Gintama subs were. I heard from a few places that the Crunchyroll subs for Gintama were poor but I don't see any issues. They also have notes explaining references which I really didn't think they would. Video quality is also better than what I was using. Will continue to watch on CR now. Another thing I like about CR is the queue feature, it's quite handy.

DragonBlaze67 said:
I've just started a 14 day trial on Crunchyroll so i could watch Durarara!! X2 Dub after finished Durarara!! yesterday and seeing that the dub is available while i was browsing on the app on my tablet. I've just logged in on Xbox 360 and only the sub is available :?
The dub is only available in the US.

You could obtain a US IP address to watch it, but I don't know if your premium account will work if you appear to be from outside the UK...

IncendiaryLemon said:
I also just started a 2 week Crunchyroll trial as I wanted to see how their Gintama subs were. I heard from a few places that the Crunchyroll subs for Gintama were poor but I don't see any issues. They also have notes explaining references which I really didn't think they would. Video quality is also better than what I was using. Will continue to watch on CR now. Another thing I like about CR is the queue feature, it's quite handy.
I've seen a fair amount of complaints about Crunchyroll, but I've never seen anything too bad from them, except for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure where they've changed names for legal reasons. (Many characters are named referencing musical acts, some more subtly than others. If the name is too close Crunchyroll have to change it, the audio is left intact though.)

I have no issues about them changing JoJo stuff, that's out of their hands. Pretty sure Viz had to do the same when they put out the Manga and Namco Bandai had to do the same when they released All Star Battle.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I have no issues about them changing JoJo stuff, that's out of their hands. Pretty sure Viz had to do the same when they put out the Manga and Namco Bandai had to do the same when they released All Star Battle.
Doesn't bother me, it's funny more than anything, but then I don't get most of the references, so most of the time I miss it.

Attack on Titan is weird though, nobody can quite agree what to call anything. For example, Zhiganshina is translated as Shiganshina by FUNimation and Aberrants are translated as Abnormals in the manga.

Buzz201 said:
DragonBlaze67 said:
The dub is only available in the US.

You could obtain a US IP address to watch it, but I don't know if your premium account will work if you appear to be from outside the UK...
It works fine. :thumb:

ilmaestro said:
It works fine. :thumb:
Good to know, but it seems like this isn't general knowledge. From the few threads I've seen on the Crunchyroll forum, it's mostly Europeans whinging that all their recent major title announcements have been available everywhere except Europe.

The recent posts in the One Piece HD thread are 30% moaning that the episodes are cropped to 16:9, and 60% Europeans upset that it's available everywhere else in the world...

Well, it should be available everywhere in the world. It makes no sense that Toei are sponsoring events and attending trade fairs in the UK when nobody can watch the appropriate parts of the series legally without leaping through hoops and risking their their Crunchyroll account (if they ever decided to clamp down on what is a 100% harmless exploit) or personal security (for many of the region-circumvention methods); at least Shounen Jump's US edition eventually managed to make it here. If they want their DVDs and events to do well you'd think that letting a region in which the show is licensed onto the legal English language stream would be common sense for all involved.

R

I've been using a VPN to access Crunchyroll for ages now, and I've never had an issue with my premium account not working.

Rui said:
Well, it should be available everywhere in the world. It makes no sense that Toei are sponsoring events and attending trade fairs in the UK when nobody can watch the appropriate parts of the series legally without leaping through hoops and risking their their Crunchyroll account (if they ever decided to clamp down on what is a 100% harmless exploit) or personal security (for many of the region-circumvention methods); at least Shounen Jump's US edition eventually managed to make it here. If they want their DVDs and events to do well you'd think that letting a region in which the show is licensed onto the legal English language stream would be common sense for all involved.

R

It wouldn't surprise me if one or two European countries had already brought the rights to the series and because of that Toei had stopped Crunchyroll from buying anywhere in the entire continent.

OT now, but I'd expect more of that type of behaviour should the EU's single digital market initiative ever succeed. Theoretically, all it takes is for a single country not to be available, and nowhere in Europe can stream it. So if FUNimation buys UK & IRE rights to a title, all of Europe misses out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back