Why is Neon Genesis Evangelion so darn popular?

"I was watching television one night while deciding what to do for the next chapter of Naruto. They were playing some abysmal music by an African American I think his name is Soruda Boy? Anyway, the song was "Kuranku Dato" and then it hit me... what if I made Soruda Boy older and essentially made him rap just as bad? And that is how I created the best character in my series, Killer Bee." - Masashi Kishimoto on a typical foundation of a weekly Naruto chapter

Lupus Inu said:
"I was watching television one night while deciding what to do for the next chapter of Naruto. They were playing some abysmal music by an African American I think his name is Soruda Boy? Anyway, the song was "Kuranku Dato" and then it hit me... what if I made Soruda Boy older and essentially made him rap just as bad? And that is how I created the best character in my series, Killer Bee." - Masashi Kishimoto on a typical foundation of a weekly Naruto chapter

Ahahahaha.

Lupus Inu said:

I lol'd hard at that xD. Now if I we all allowed sigs again. I would be quoting that and put your name on it. That's probably the best reason why Naruto have dire and awful characters.

In serious mode for a sec, Naruto has an excellent cast of characters - I like nearly all of them. The early characters (genin) are all great, Rock Lee easily being one of the most amusing characters to grace anime; he's somewhere between Bruce Lee and a comedian. It's the instantly likeable characters that make the show great and make up for the story.

The newer characters (as in, part 2 characters) weren't quite as good due to Kishimoto running out of ideas (he actually asked for help from fans towards the end of part 1) but there were still characters like Deidara who kept things interesting.

Naruto never really appealed to me. I tried watching it and it instantly became my most hated anime ever.

The character does NOT appeal to me at all and the storyline is horrid. I still can't see why many people nowadays still watch it. But I guess it's personal taste at the end of the day.

I could rant on about it all day, picking out what's so diabolical and horrible about it.

Don't get me wrong, I dropped the anime not long into Shippuuden and, aside from the Uchiha history revelations, the manga has bored/disappointed me for most of part 2. It's the pre-filler hell segment of the anime and Vol. 1-27 I love.

I can understand why you'd get nothing out of it if the characters do nothing for you, but I can't say I get how you couldn't find one you liked among the huge and varied cast. Surely there's got to be a character for everyone in Naruto?

Right from the start I loved how the main trio and their teacher interacted, with their differences making the conversations both amusing and interesting. Naruto with his straight-forward nature, Sasuke with his anti-social personality, Sakura with her fiery personality and Kakashi's his mysterious/cool/lazy thing he has going on. Of course, all 4 having top class voice actors/actresses (Sakura's VA is a goddess) helped me like the characters.

The rest of the cast are also great. The lazy genius Shikamaru, Gaara of the Sand, Ero-sennin, Orochimaru, Rock Lee, Gai, Neji...there was never a shortage of characters I liked when I was into Naruto.

I'll always favour Naruto over Bleach, but over either, I'll go for One Piece.

Naruto has a decent set of characters, most are either based of type A, or type B but nonetheless, its done in a nice manner. What annoys the hell about it with me is the fact that the saga of getting Sasuke back has been going on for way to long. I basically want to see another Zabuza fight/arc, then see Naruto end.

Bleach, was good during Soul Society. I really enjoyed it, actually. The music was good, the animation was solid but all went downhill once Kubo started being influenced by the Spanish, and that awful music Pierrot done. Heck, I suppose, I even found the Arrancar arc, when it was turning into DBZ w/ Swords alright to watch.

Now, then - One Piece... It has no boundaries, Oda knows how to set a good shonen arc out from day 1. He knows the beginning, middle and end, and does it all before it gets tired. The characters are vastly more interesting and super than either of the other two where most are influenced from either one or two different cultures. The animation has constantly been good, and the manga is also superior in storytelling which in turn lets the anime do so much more than reading Naruto which is like watching bishonen walk slowly, whilst spouting vengeance (Applies more to Part 2, I know). I haven't read much of Bleach, however I could tell from the couple of volumes I've read/scanned through that its more to the point than the anime.

/sigh.. I ranted. ;/

sanji no 1 said:
well by the end of the day, NGE sounds pretty overrated and boring. I suggest wathcing One Piece. much better.
lol. I'd take One Piece, but Eva is essential, without a doubt.

If all else fails, turn to Keroro Gunsou, I say.

Just watch Hunter X Hunter, Naruto done right.

EDIT: Also, I'm drawing a blank on good Naruto characters after Rock Lee, Orochimaru and Deidara.

Hmm, I am not sure how this topic got on to Naruto, but still...back to the original topic.

I think it is so popular because of having such a 'deep story' and rubbish like that, also something to do with 'landmark animation' or something.

Personally, I watched the series when it was on Anime Network and didnt find it all that great, the eva dancing sync thing was pretty good, but I really dont believe anime should be THAT serious to be honest. I found my self constantly making up funny situations in my head throughout the series, although I did listen and, mostly, understand the story. I just dont believe such a heavy, serious story works in anime, or, at least, not in that animation style. The style that was used needs more of teh funny damn it! Also, their is way too much character development (and I use the term loosely) in it, lol.

But then again, thats just my 'all anime should have at least SOME comedy in them and should never go over the top in 'depth' of characters/story/seriousness' mentality. I think thats what I mean anyway, it all makes perfect sense in my head, just like im sure Eva did to its author...hah!

megagold5 said:
'all anime should have at least SOME comedy in them and should never go over the top in 'depth' of characters/story/seriousness'
penpen005.jpg

I knew someone was gonna post that... Its not funny. Sweet, maybe...funny, no. There was one funny bit, I just cant remember what it was, I just remember being very thankfull, lol.

Warmaster said:
skikes said:
Warmaster said:
I don't know is my answer. Personally it is extremely mediocre with a diabolically bad ending. I can't see my view of it ever changing.

:evil: ....

...i am calm...

See this post of mine for my opinion of Eva: http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic ... ht=#166522

And no, it has not changed.

i really only meant that comment jokingly... i only glanced over ur link

but really, i love it... some people dont and i suppose i can understand why

it takes alot of investment, in every sense of the word :/

Re: Why is Neon Genesis Elvangelion so darn popular?

sanji no 1 said:
Ive seen clips of it on youtube. Giant robots with giant guns? hahahaha. sounds a lil silly if you ask me (no offence).

haha that´s ironic because a person who haven´t seen one piece and looks at clips on youtube will absolutely find it silly ^^

I just finished watching the original series again last night. The last two episodes made my brain melt (again). But the movies make up for it. Got "Eva 1.0" on stand by. Going to wait for the next ones release so I can watch them together.

Re: Why is Neon Genesis Elvangelion so darn popular?

sanji no 1 said:
Giant robots with giant guns? hahahaha. sounds a lil silly if you ask me (no offence).

Luffy has a rubber body, Usopp has a phallic noce, Sanji has curly eyebrows, Franky's cyborg body is powered by COLA and for the grande finale, Zoro throws a ******* house at someone at one point in the series. MUCH more serious than One Piece

(I'll still always value One Piece over NGE... also the characters stated above are still awesome, I'm just making a point. Accept Usopp.)

WATCH IT

"Elvangelion"? You posted this 5 days ago and you still haven't corrected that eyesore mistake? Are you serious?

Anyways, Evangelion is so popular because it's so good. Despite what many of the posters in this thread would like you to believe, Eva fans (which are legion) are not actually masses of deluded, unquestioning fanboys. People like Evangelion because it does what it sets out to do very, very well.

Back