Your viewing journal

Nisemonogatari ep7

The fight scene was nice, but I'm kinda glad this arc is finished. At least now I know what the show title refers to.

I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying ep4-7

Eh, kind of medium on these eps compared to the first three.

The Laughing Salesman (2017) ep1

Having seen at least one episode of the earlier incarnation, this new version seems to be little changed. To be honest, I like the idea of the series more than what I've actually seen of it - it just seems very mean spirited.

Nisemonogatari ep8

Good grief, on what dark night of the soul did they come up with that one? I'd convinced myself that scene couldn't possibly be that bad and, perhaps, taken in isolation, it isn't, but the episode starts off mucky and gets gradually worse until it hits you, like a wrecking ball in the back... I'd always assumed that it must be some kind of Crash-esque attempt to dissect the nature of fetishism by creating the most ridiculous fetish imaginable, but seeing it onscreen, I no longer have any idea if they're trying to titillate or troll the people seeking titillation. I suppose that's the point.

Appleseed Ex Machina rewatch (again)

God I love this film. The DVD version I have only includes the dub, but it's absolutely outstanding. The banter between characters is brilliant. "Hey, don't break the merchandise!" :)

And those words of comfort from Deunan to a disorientated Briareos... "It's me. I'm here. I'm always here." That line brings me close to tears every time. Voice actress Luci Christian is an absolute star in this.

My copy of Ex Machina is a second-hand copy of the 2-DVD collector's edition I came across in an Oxfam shop last summer. It even includes the little Masamune Shirow manga in mint contition, as well as its original slip case, and only cost me £1.50. It's one of my very favourite possessions.

I'm working my way through Parasyte, only 4 episodes to go now. This is one of the rare cases where the soundtrack/music puts a huge dent in my overall view of the series. The music is really, really bad, and should be elevating what is otherwise a very cool story. I'm still enjoying it, mind.

(BTW, hi!)

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid-Episode 13 (Complete)

A rather downbeat final episode, but I thought the ending was really sweet.

Sakura Quest
-Episode 1

This seems pretty fun. That bit with the guy dressed as the Chupacabra had me in stitches.

Ergo Proxy ep 15-16 (rewatch). Ah yes, the game show episode. I remember being baffled by it when I watched it all those years ago, but it seems fairly straightforward to me now. Maybe my intelligence has levelled up :p

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
s2 ep 22-25 (complete). Well, at least that was a conclusive ending.

Scum's Wish
ep 11-12 (complete). Teenagers being dumb, basically. A decent series, was worth watching.

The Eccentric Family
s1 ep 5-9.
It can be a silly show at times but I don't think it's wrong to take it seriously. Maybe taking certain things too literally could be a problem, the show does have Humans, Tanuki and Tengu but they're all really just people who happen to have different backgrounds, experiences and beliefs (and they're still individuals too). You could perhaps get something extra out of the show with an understanding of Japanese mythology but I don't think it's necessary.

I'd say I mostly enjoyed the show for the character studies and family aspects, although I also enjoyed the examination of different cultural perspectives. Regarding the specific point you mentioned:
The Tanuki basically seem to have a different perspective on death and loss. They're used to being below others in the food chain and they generally don't believe in violence. They don't think it'd be worth it to attack and kill others just to stop some of them from occasionally being eaten, especially since such actions are likely to lead to more conflict and death overall.

It's not that they're happy to be eaten, but a non-violent response enables them to stick to their principles and keep casualties on both sides to a minimum. They can't necessarily stop others from choosing to eat them but they can choose how they respond to it.

That said, they're all individuals so they don't necessarily all deal with situations exactly the same and they don't necessarily agree on every point in their wider culture.
I think these issues are explored further later in the show, so hopefully you'll get something out of it by the end (it probably is also the kind of show that builds up characters and plot points to begin with and then ties things together later).
Yeah, the episodes I've just watched have really stepped up the character building and I'm enjoying it a lot more now.
I still have trouble with the whole hot pot thing, being a human and all. After all, if a human is eaten by a bear then the bear will be hunted down and killed, both for the protection of other humans and also for vengeance. But by trying to look at it from more of an animals perspective (which these tanuki basically are), where they are simply a part of the food chain and accept that fact, I can at least accept it now myself. If anything this plot point is making me realise just why the human species is so especially dangerous (and consequently successful) compared to most other life on earth. It's been quite a while since an anime series made me think so seriously about, well, anything so I guess it is worth watching just for that alone ;)

Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation s3 ep 13.

Ergo Proxy ep 15-16 (rewatch). Ah yes, the game show episode. I remember being baffled by it when I watched it all those years ago, but it seems fairly straightforward to me now. Maybe my intelligence has levelled up :p
I really like that episode. What a clever way to deliver some exposition. And it's a real shock to the system at that stage of the series to be reminded of what Vincent looked like early on, with his slicked-down hair and closed eyes.

The Eccentric Family s1 ep 5-9.
Yeah, the episodes I've just watched have really stepped up the character building and I'm enjoying it a lot more now.
You know, I wrote this off after seeing just the first episode, but I've heard so many good things about it since...

Finished up Engaged to the unidentified . Far better than I expected.

Sakura Quest: Episode 1 - I got what I expected, no complaints here
I hope we see more of the Bus driver & odd guitar guy, that segment gave me a good chuckle

Back