Your viewing journal

It does :), I really want to see it but I can't find a suitable weekend to go.
I'd give up right now on the chance of getting a ticket returned for a weekend performance. After obsessive monitoring of the site, the returns and dates most likely to are early in the week. Mind you, we ARE coming into flu season, so you never know. Check early, check late, check often and pray to whatever Gods out there that like you. :)

Bocchi the Rock ep1-3

Not quite as taken with Bocchi as I know some folk have been, but it's a nice little show - the main character is a very relatable bag of nerves and there's some nice cuts in the animation.

Akiba Maid War ep5

'Oinky Doink Cafe resolves everything with great violence' is almost a meme now, but there's something rather sweet about Ranko getting to live her long delayed dreams later in life - it's the sort of story you don't see much in anime.

On a vaguely related note, I remember once seeing a piece of fanart with Major Kusanagi dressed as a cafe maid (complete with shocked reaction from Batou) - I suppose it's unlikely, but I slightly wonder if that might have been the inspiration for Ranko's character design.

Romantic Killer eps 10-12 (complete)
Woah, for a rom-com that got quite dark at the end there, unwanted advances by a senior boy on a fellow middle schooler (MCs friends flashback), and stalking and parental abuse of the victim as a the backstory of one of male leads!
It could be a case of the author of the manga wanting to talk about such topics and shoving them in there towards the end as, as it turns out, they've adapted the whole manga and there's no more story to tell because it got axed. And I would definitely like more because the romance side didn't get resolved, but I would say the characters end in a good place having grown from where we found them at the start. This was due to some nice interactions between the characters.
The comedy was quite funny most of the time with a few occasions not so much with a bit of an annoying character. There's quite a lot of visual comedy too with nearly every reaction of the MC getting a different style depending on said reaction, again a bit of a mixed bag, but again more on the funny side than not.
8/10

MSG:TWFM
ep 6
Happy Birthday!

FuuKoi ep 5
Studying hard!

Golden Kamuy s4 e6
Schemes within schemes.

Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War episode 371 Endure.

Golden Kamuy 4th Season episode 42 Like a boner.

Management of a Novice Alchemist episode 6 Underwater finds.

One Piece episodes 799-806, 808-812

Fireworks (English dubbed) - I really enjoyed this and it felt more sophisticated than the norm (I am guessing due to Shunji Iwai's involvement), was a cute, enjoyable romance with beautiful visuals, nice music, plus I love a good time travel or similar sort of yarn, so yeah I'm really glad I bought this on DOTW :)

Sword of the Stranger (English subbed, rewatch) - Not my favourite genre of film, and it really is rather violent so I have to be in the mood to watch it, but I did enjoy seeing it again, if you like Asia-set historical action movies with lots of swordfighting (I believe chanbara is the term?) you'll probably really enjoy this, and the animation is spectacular, the central bond that defines the movie's emotional core is pretty well done as well :)

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (rewatch) - As I have this on Blu-ray now I have rewatched it, visually creative, some very funny bits, cute, romance works well, and the father-son stuff does too, I suppose if you despise CGI animated films you might not be won over but I would put it up there with the best Pixar/Disney/Dreamworks efforts or at least certainly close to that level, and the sequel was a lot of fun too from what I remember though I haven't gotten around to rewatching that yet. The food-weather premise is novel and well-handled, and it's pleasingly silly in just the right measure :)

The Illusionist (rewatch) - (This is the Sylvain Chomet-directed French animated film, rather than the live-action film with Christian Bale) I thoroughly enjoyed rewatching this even though i didn't closely pay attention to every single second this time around, because the score is one of the most beautiful I have ever heard, and the film itself is a touching and sincere (I would say successful) attempt to adapt Jacques Tati's script which went unfilmed and/or unfinished at the time of his death, which he wrote to express his regrets about never really knowing his daughter - in the film, an ageing stage magician who's craft is gradually being eclipsed by modern pop and rock music, television and film, comes across a young woman who is working as a maid while traveling in the UK (I believe mostly in Scotland) looking for work, for a time he looks after her in a fatherly sort of way (buying her some nicer clothes and shoes than the old half tattered ones she has when they meet, taking her out to eat), and the two spend time together forming a bond of sorts - I don't wanna spoil everything (and I can't remember if in the film it's clear that this girl is his daughter or not) but regardless it was lovely and I recommend everyone watch it, I loved the director's previous feature Belleville Rendezvous, but think it is sad that this film has perhaps not been as lauded (there was never a UK Blu-ray release that I know of, thought tbf it took Belleville quite a while to get one too). This is one very rambling assessment sorry everyone but it's just a absolutely lovely film anyway I might even rewatch it again today lol :)

Chainsaw Man ep 5
Going nowhere!
Blimey this was even slower than previous episodes, a couple of decent jokes and literally 5 seconds of action and the rest was a ton of slow paced build up/flashbacks.

Shinobi no Ittoki ep 6
Summer holidays.

Encouragement of Climb: New Summit ep 6
Date and Christmas party.

Chainsaw Man Episode 5 Loop.

Encouragement of Climb: Next Summit Episode 6 Outing and party.

Peter Grill and the Philosoper's Time: Super Extra (Uncensored) Episode 5 Cover up.

Shinobi no Ittoki Episode 6 Summer vacation.

Chainsaw Man episode 5 One wish.

Encouragement of Climb: Next Summit episode 6 Hearty food and Christmas blues.

Shinobi no Ittoki episode 6 Act.

One Piece episodes 813-825

Chainsaw Man - Episode 5

Spy x Family - Episode 18

Mob Psycho 100 (Season 3) - Episode 5

My Hero Academia (Season 6) - Episode 6

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - Memorial Edition - Episode 6

Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (rewatch) - enjoyable, cute family animation with an impressive pedigree behind it, and beautiful visuals (fluid animation with inventive design and a fair bit of detail, the colours are lovely too), this was directed by Masami Hata (I think? Chris Columbus appears to have been heavily involved as well!) but at Tokyo Movie Shinsha/TMS rather than Sanrio as with many of his other features, and is basically the type of hero's journey story that was commonplace in animated features at the time combined with "young mc gets transported to a fantasy world with eccentric/old fashioned customs and a royal family". Good cosy rainy day movie and Nemo is endearingly sweet and wide-eyed. I have this on an old (well authored for standard def) US DVD release and am considering buying the US Blu-ray on the strengths of this rewatch :)

Latest title watched from my backlog was Norn9 (all 12 episodes)

An interesting concept for a series, but never really got going until nearer the end

Do It Yourself!! Episode 6 Beach treasures.

Immoral Guild (Uncensored) Episode 6 Silent and sick.

Love Flops Episode 5 A bloody past.

The Eminence in Shadow Episode 6 Imposters.

Reincarnated as a Sword Episode 7 Allegations.

Do it Yourself!! episode 6 Forage and frolic.

Mob Psycho 100 III episode 6 Hearing out.

The Eminence in Shadow episode 6 Serious sh*t.

One Piece episodes 826-838

Bibliophile Princess episode 6 Bearing in mind.

KanColle: Let’s Meet at Sea episode 2 Tell the future.

One Piece episodes 839-852

Back